Fuzz face pots

When i built my fuzz face clone i used a b479 (i think) pot.
Although it sounds great, the volume is always lower than my amp when i engage it.
Should i fit a different pot to help increase the volume?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1613
    A B479 would be a linear 479 ohm resistor which is too low for a volume. I cant recall what the FF uses (and my FF clones are not too hand) but you need 250K or 500k to get the right volume level from it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    No, changing the volume pot value won't make any difference. Once it's up full that's as much as you will get with any pot value.

What you need to do is to change the amount of signal voltage being sent to the pot. This is determined by two resistors which form a potential divider - the 330 (or 470) ohm and the 8.2K ohm resistors in this diagram:

To increase the volume, increase the value of the 330/470 one and decrease the 8.2K one by roughly the same amount - eg, 1K and 7.5K, 1.2K and 7.5K or 1.8K and 6.8K.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Works a treat now - increased the 330 to 1k and had to put a 2.2 and 5.1 in series - thanks guys.