Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    I hope that locking connector on the unit is fully certified for feeding ~250VDC out of the amp and potentially getting the live end touched if you undo it with the other end still in the valve socket.

Somehow I suspect it might not be...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh god.  

FIRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE

Seriously though, apparently it was designed by the chap behind dem amps wot peeple like on youtube, the Phil X ones.  You'd think he'd design a decent thing?

In any case, as far as ideas go, it's cool.  Although I have to question (thinking about it) why a Kingsley pedal wouldn't do as good?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not fire - shock :).

It's quite likely a decent thing, and may well be legal in the USA, I'm not sure what their regs say for stuff like this.

As long as you're sensible there's no real risk, but the regulations are not written for sensible people.

In fact, if the cable was hardwired at the unit end it would probably be compliant here too, since it's not actually mains powered itself. It's only the connector that makes it a problem, since I think it's unlikely to be rated for over 50V.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I hope that locking connector on the unit is fully certified for feeding ~250VDC out of the amp and potentially getting the live end touched if you undo it with the other end still in the valve socket.

Somehow I suspect it might not be...
    There are hundreds of circular industrial connectors suitable for this application that are rated for high voltage, and have deeply recessed pins exactly to avoid the issue you mention. I can't see any reason why the guy would chose one that wasn't correctly rated?
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader

He hasn't skimped if it retails at $69.00

martinw said:
    There are hundreds of circular industrial connectors suitable for this application that are rated for high voltage, and have deeply recessed pins exactly to avoid the issue you mention. I can't see any reason why the guy would chose one that wasn't correctly rated?
    Rated for over 250VDC? I may be out of touch (likely!) but I don't remember any of this sort of size that were. An amp filament circuit failure could potentially put up to 500VDC on the connector too. Worst case, yes - but that has to be considered.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    Rated for over 250VDC?

Yep. I used to work with high voltage power supplies in 19" rack format that typically had outputs between 600 and 1500V and used various types of connectors. They usually have deeply recessed pins like that one appears to have.

Have a look on RS or Mouser if you've got a couple of spare hours! :)

They're not cheap, but they are available. Not saying that's what he used, but he seems to know what he's doing.

• martinw said:
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    Rated for over 250VDC?

Yep. I used to work with high voltage power supplies in 19" rack format that typically had outputs between 600 and 1500V and used various types of connectors. They usually have deeply recessed pins like that one appears to have.

Have a look on RS or Mouser if you've got a couple of spare hours! :)

They're not cheap, but they are available. Not saying that's what he used, but he seems to know what he's doing.

It's a very cool concept.  I don't know how *different* it is to running a valve based boost in front of the amp, but if it is different, it's actually kinda a neat alternative.  
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    Interestingly it seems Phil X doesn't use the Evil Robot any more
    OK, I may stand corrected! :)

If the connector is safe and legal, it's a pretty cool idea. It may give more of an 'integrated' result than even running an independent valve overdrive pedal, since it's all coming off the same power supply. I think this is a factor in why valve rack systems with separate pre and power amps don't seem to quite have the 'organic' (stupid word, but you know what I mean!) sound of a complete amp.

I seem to remember those Triumphs are one of the few Peaveys that are less than completely reliable - related to overheating mostly I think. That may explain why the owner has moved the upper back panel down, probably to give it more ventilation. Still a huge bargain at the prices they go for though - you could always fit a fan if the heat really is a problem.