Connecting mixer to audio interface - Line or mic in?

I have the Yamaha MG10 mixer I use for online lessons to mix my sounds that I sent as a stereo output via XLR - XLR into my Focusrite 8i6. I've been using this for about 2 years now.

I've only just realised though if you use an xlr (male) input then it actives the microphone preamps and it adds unnecessary gain and distortion if you're not careful as its a mic signal which is hotter than a line signal via 1/4".

I did a test to see if I needed any preamp gain with a TRS cable going from the mixer (XLR female from the stereo output) and I do need to add a bit on the Focusrite to get some decent volume.

Is it better to use a line 1/4" input and raise the preamp level or stick with a mic input and have no preamp gain at all? As when I use xlr in I don't need any.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    The problem you have is you are running from the main outs of the desk into the interface ... this isn't a mic signal level it's a line level and typically 0dB 
    If you pull down the master on the desk though so nothing clips it will be fine ... also check if the inputs have a pad switch ..that will also lower the signal level before anything clips. 

Or use the line inputs on the interface which are generally -10 to 0dB in sensitivity anyway  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1088
    edited August 2023
    Am I better off using 2 TRS cables to connect the two together then? And it isn't bad to use any further preamp gain on the interface to compensate for the lower db? The main use for the mixer is lesson and also to record live clips into my laptop, unfortunately Windows only recognises the front analogue ports 1+2 as an audio input.

There is a pad function on the interface, though in the time I've been using xlr in its not clipped too much. Only lightly.
  • Get an MG10XU…. it is a USB audio interface.
  • I thought about getting one but they don’t do 2-way monitoring so only one side hears the mix. Redundant if I’m teaching online. A few learners used them and we discovered this. Or maybe they weren’t using the settings correctly perhaps.

I’ve seen Boss have released a Gigcaster which is similar but again skeptical if it’ll do 2 way monitoring.