Parlour guitar advice: non-wide fingerboard

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

To give context, I normally play a Martin OM28 and it's perfect.

While I was away from home I wanted a parlour guitar to just record / play around with, and Picked up a Sigma

000M-15s fantastic guitar for the money, really impressive however the width of the fingerboard is huge compared to the Martin I'm used to. I've persisted with it, but it seems wasteful to try to make something that doesn't work for you work. So I'm going to sell it and get something else.

I'm looking for a Parlour guitar, open to anything but it must have a more normal width fingerboard.

My Martin is listed as

Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-11/16Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8

It doesn't have to be exactly that, I put it there for reference.

open to options, anything really, doesn't have to be cheap, doesn't have to be expensive - although I'm not shy on spending for the right money.

From a visual aspect it would be nice to have a slotted machine head setup, but this is by no means something I need, just a visual look I like for the type of guitar.

The ability to fit a pickup would be useful if I ever do anything with this, so it must be able to gig.

Very interested in the Sigma range as the one I bought I was really impressed with for it's price, it's only the neck that's killing me.

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gretsch Jim Dandy is Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-12/16 ie 1-3/4 Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8 so "nearly there". Its cheap but sounds a lot better than its price would suggest (if you like that sort of thing). I don't think it would suffer unduly from having a pickup fitted.

However I wouldn't be offended if you decided you needed to be more up-market, or you needed a different sound :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Vintage V880 ticks the boxes (almost exactly the same nut width, slotted 'stock), I love mine. There's a very unobtrusively-electrified version as well. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

The Martin Ed Shearan model looks like it could be a really good option.

Thoughts ?

Like the vintage V880 too, looks very impressive for price. 

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    How about the washburn 1800s parlor repro I played one the other day and it was amazing! Decent width finger board n all, but I also have to agree with @IanSavage the vintage stuff IMHO is the best low to mid range money can buy, from someone who loves vintage Gibson's, and custom made guitars, I have always had a vintage in the collection and never feel short changed when I play it instead of the other guitars, the punch about their weight especially with the acoustics.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Do check out the Tanglewood TW73. Impeccably made guitar for the price. I regret selling mine. It has quite a nice B-Band pickup too. Here's a vid of it in action

just to be clear - I'm not looking for a "cheap" one, I'm looking for one I like, I was just saying it doesn't have to be pricey, but it doesn't have to be cheap either.

those washburns look great, can't find any information on their neck width though, and they look "wide"
    Tell you what I'll be going into my local shop this week and they have one, want me to measure it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mitchmitch Frets: 2
    The Sigma TW range are great. Same size and style as the Martin LX1E / Ed Sheeren model but have the advantage of not having HPL back and sides. Check out the all mahogany TW15 and TW15E. They really are very good.
    mrchi said:
    Tell you what I'll be going into my local shop this week and they have one, want me to measure it?
    that would be amazing, thank you. I've also emailed washburn USA.
    mitch said:
    The Sigma TW range are great. Same size and style as the Martin LX1E / Ed Sheeren model but have the advantage of not having HPL back and sides. Check out the all mahogany TW15 and TW15E. They really are very good.

are you sure it's called the TW range ? I can't find any TW sigma models.

@darcym went in today and measured the neck width at the nut it was 5cm so actually REALLY wide, :-)
  • What about a MadDogGuitars Parlour?  I've got one and it's bloody fantastic!  Silly cheap too.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Not sure, but the Faith Mercury might fit the bill? I believe the nut is good @ 43mm. they do a wide range of finished from naked (£350 ish) to eclipse cutaway & electronics (£650 ish). Might be worth a look.
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    One of the best parlours I ve tried is the alverez ap70. They also do a masterworks version . Not sure about neck width but amazing guitar.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    edited October 2014
    Check out the Hudson parlours. I remember reading a review where it mentioned that two versions were made - a "wide" and "normal" neck width. The website has models with 43mm and 44mm nut widths, although this review says 44mm isn't really "wide".

• mitchmitch Frets: 2

Hi and Sorry its taken a bit of time to get back to you.

I did go into my local shop and they did have some real nice Sigma guitars. Great value and they all played well too. Your right they are not called TW they are called TM. They have a few different options including electro and non electro. They are really very similar to the Martin LX1 guitars only I think the Sigma is a better deal and sounds better too.

They have a standard 1-11/16 nut size so are not wide at all and feel very comfortable to me. I personally think in the price range they very hard to beat. But of course that's just my personal view. I didn't try the electro version plugged in because the shop was very busy but if its anything like the other Sigma guitars it will work well through an amp too.

I have a link to a page with a whole bunch of them listed below which may be useful.

http://www.projectmusic.net/sigma-travel-guitars-1089-c.asp

Hope this helps.

• My Tanglewood Roadster electro acoustic might fit the bill. Don't have it's immediate specs but I got it due to my little hands!! And at £100 it didn't break the bank.
  • Are you still looking? I've got a Yairi Rag 65 with a Baggs Element p/up. You list the OM28 as 1 & 11/16 which is what I reckon this is though some shops describe them both as 1 & 3/4. It's lovely guitar. Where are you based?