Amp help

What's Hot
Is there an amp out there sub £1k - no modelling garbage - that does plexi tones and an 800 type tone, but switchable between the two.

Only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is a JVM - probs 2nd hand?

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Laney vh100r or a second hand lionheart 50. Peavey classic 50 gets you in the same ballpark.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Try find a Cornell 18/20 or better still 45/50.

You'd get the 18/20 for your budget. Amazing amps, exactly in the space you'd want to be too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Nice one chaps!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Mesa Trem-o-verb.

I am completely serious. That's exactly why I own one.

The original 2-channel Dual Rectifier is essentially the same thing but without the reverb and tremolo, but for some reason it doesn't seem quite as capable of nailing the Marshall sound as the Trem-o-verb can, even though those Marshalls don't have reverb or tremolo! There must be something in the part of the circuit that adds the effects which modifies the tone a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    JVM can be picked up cheap I sold mine for £500 still under warranty as it preferred living at Milton Keynes being repaired than being in my living room getting cranked.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    Mesa Trem-o-verb.

I am completely serious. That's exactly why I own one.

The original 2-channel Dual Rectifier is essentially the same thing but without the reverb and tremolo, but for some reason it doesn't seem quite as capable of nailing the Marshall sound as the Trem-o-verb can, even though those Marshalls don't have reverb or tremolo! There must be something in the part of the circuit that adds the effects which modifies the tone a bit.

Mine was like that too, for some reason the tremoverb just sounded more alive than my two channel rectifier ever did.
    What's so frustrating is that for years I only played Marshalls, loved them and the company, and that's the amp I always wanted them to make… but they never did, they seem incapable of doing something so simple and logical as to give you their two best sounds ever in one box - they always had to change it, add more gain, options you don't need, make the tone thinner, reduce the build quality and generally do all the things that people don't like about modern Marshalls!

If they'd ever done it right I probably wouldn't even be playing a Mesa now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mesa trem-o-verb eh? Nice! Will have a look at those fo'sho!
  • Mesa trem-o-verb eh? Nice! Will have a look at those fo'sho!
    You'll be amazed at how well priced they are used.  I think it's the trend of wanting smaller amps. 
    Mesa trem-o-verb eh? Nice! Will have a look at those fo'sho!
    You'll be amazed at how well priced they are used.  I think it's the trend of wanting smaller amps. 
    And the needing to budget for hiring a forklift to get it into your car :). The combo version, anyway… the head goes for a lot more.

I don't think they're *all* that heavy, actually - being a bass player too I've lifted much heavier and more awkward amps and cabs. At 98lb they're not exactly light, but I'm only 135lb myself and I can lift them!

I have had my second one up for sale, but no-one is biting and I'm on the verge of deciding just to keep it. And no, I won't ship it - just not worth the risk even if the cost is paid for. They're not that rare either, and if you find one locally the seller will have the same problem so you might get a bargain.