I suddenly have the urge to play trumpet

What's Hot
Hard to explain.

I just want to play sweet melodies.  One note at a time.  No chords, no frets.  I want to mute it and make the brass sing for me.

Played trombone for a year as a child.  Practiced a lot and got pretty good.  Parents suddenly decided that music wasn’t that important after all when they had to give the trombone back to the friends who lent it to me.

But I hear trumpets in my head a lot these days.

Anyone here dabbled, pursued, excelled?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    edited August 2023
    Brass is the one thing I've never even picked up and tried (grade 8 sax, grade 5 piano, grade 5 clarinet, 22 years of guitar and my sister played violin...) 

I have little to add beyond a classic "go for it!! " 

Horn sections and jazz trumpets are frickin awesome
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28525
    I give you permission to use "Trumpets of Asgard" as your band name. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Buy a plastic one, suprisingly good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    Sporky said:
    I give you permission to use "Trumpets of Asgard" as your band name. 
    Could I suggests "The Lost Trumpets of Asgard"? 

And @Cranky, good idea, here's your first lesson, free!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Yes, it’s the greatest experience, having a go at another instrument. Nothing can trump it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 851
    the-more-funny-awesome-know-was-Wasnatch-dangerousminds-net-comments-one-hell-an-cover-for-wasnatchs-front-back-nsfw-Accordin

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 317
    Cranky said:

But I hear trumpets in my head a lot these days.

That's what happens when the acid kicks in.
    Lie down on a comfortable sofa/bed, dim the lights, and put on some soft music.
    It should pass after a few hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298

sev112 said:
    Buy a plastic one, suprisingly good

Yes I did some gigs with a trumpetist a few years ago and he spoke highly of the plastic ones. 

If you listen to some pre war blues the trumpet effectively has the role that the electric guitar took on later, if your guitar playing experience includes blues it's, sort of, a natural second instrument. Although the singer in my old band, who was a music teacher to establish his credentials, took up trumpet in his fifties and after several years could only play about three notes cleanly. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Funnily I was discussing my trumpet teachers at school yesterday.  When i reached Grade 6 at about 16 I got a new teacher.  My abiding memories were 2 specific lessons - one was lying down on a table with a pile of books on my stomach trying to make them lift up when I breathed in.

The other lesson was half an hour of just blowing one note continuously .  It ended up being one of the most useful musical lessons ever.  It was about not just making a note, or trying to hold it without going sharp or flat etc. but in trying to get the best tone from that particular instrument, getting the brass to resonate / vibrate etc .  
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 465
    Trumpets are beautiful when played well.  Can’t beat em imv.  Does it do something to your upper lip tho?
    It will give you labial dexterity 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Thoroughly recommend brass instruments.  And once you've learned a 3 valve instrument, you can play an assortment of them.  If you've never played brass before so you're a complete beginner then be aware that the trumpet can be a bit shrill when you start.  Family and neighbours might not be so forgiving. 

A cornet is a bit of a softer sounding alternative.  A tenor horn will teach you all the right fingerings and embouchure for a beginner and makes a mellow sound that nobody will complain about. 

Best way to learn is to get the scales under your fingers, start with C major, then learn to sing a melody in C major then play it.  Nursery rhymes, hymns, carols, folk songs or diatonic jazz standards will all help.  This sing-then-play is the best way to learn articulation, which makes a huge difference to how good you sound on brass instruments.

Note that brass instruments need a bit of maintenance, occasional oil and grease, and Youtube is your friendly tutor for these aspects.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Chalky said:
    Thoroughly recommend brass instruments.  And once you've learned a 3 valve instrument, you can play an assortment of them.  If you've never played brass before so you're a complete beginner then be aware that the trumpet can be a bit shrill when you start.  Family and neighbours might not be so forgiving. 

A cornet is a bit of a softer sounding alternative.  A tenor horn will teach you all the right fingerings and embouchure for a beginner and makes a mellow sound that nobody will complain about. 

Best way to learn is to get the scales under your fingers, start with C major, then learn to sing a melody in C major then play it.  Nursery rhymes, hymns, carols, folk songs or diatonic jazz standards will all help.  This sing-then-play is the best way to learn articulation, which makes a huge difference to how good you sound on brass instruments.

Note that brass instruments need a bit of maintenance, occasional oil and grease, and Youtube is your friendly tutor for these aspects.
    I remember doing some of that oiling stuff with trombone.

With trumpet I’ve been looking at options, including mouthpieces.  I think I would pay more for a bigger cup size, at least to begin, as I would rather play more common frequencies with ease rather than struggle with lip mechanics on a smaller cup that would let me play high notes.

Technically I think I would prefer a cornet.  But those are harder to find and really I’m not caring all that much.  I will make a trumpet sound mellow.

As for scales and melodies, if I may, I think those come fairly naturally to me.  I can’t explain it.  Once a couple years ago I picked up a bugle and played “Taps” on it perfectly right off the bat.  It just made sense to me.  Never saw a bugle irl before that.
    edited August 2023
    Regarding mouthpieces, finding one that suits your particular lip and muscle structure makes all the difference.  I settled on a Denis Wick 5 in cornets and tenor horns as this gives me the best combination of tone and lip fatigue.  For trumpet the balance is even more important, I find.  I never have any need to go beyond a high G at the very most, so I prefer the sweeter tone and less range.  Sounds like you do too.

If you're a natural then you'll progress very quickly - instinctive isn't good for classical but as I only play jazz standards to backing tracks it doesn't matter. 

Shepherds crook cornets are common in the UK, Boosey & Hawkes being the usual, and always Blessings or Yamaha on Ebay.  Straight cornets are usually US and are halfway to a trumpet. I have learned that I like the older US trumpet sounds, Conns, Olds, etc.

Once you've bought one, you'll buy more!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Phew. Just checked and you don't live next door.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    ^^^ ha, yeah, not even close.   Also I live on a 1-acre lot, so no worries for any of my neighbors.

But more importantly, I would like to update this thread.  It’s a flugelhorn that I’m after, not a trumpet.  The flugel darn near brings a tear to my eye.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Cranky said:
    ^^^ ha, yeah, not even close.   Also I live on a 1-acre lot, so no worries for any of my neighbors.

But more importantly, I would like to update this thread.  It’s a flugelhorn that I’m after, not a trumpet.  The flugel darn near brings a tear to my eye.
    There's an instrument that can bring a tear to my eye, but I realise that if I bought one I would never get remotely near to the standard that does that. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
    Trumpet is awesome.

I've been listening to a lot of Jeremy Pelt recently

https://open.spotify.com/album/3uF0eDO6FcdBSJcR4wdwms?si=2hDn_KC0TmqNcj_XYYgfXQ

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 376
    A lot of my favourite songs have Trumpet or Cornet on them. If you think you'll stick with it and enjoy the journey then go for it.
    Cranky said:

Flugelhorn is really beautiful.  Bit harder to play in tune than the other two.  I've got an older French Couesnon but most folks these days go for one based on the Yamaha YFH631 design with the third valve trigger.  Slightly easier for tuning but not quite such a sweet tone.  Beware of mouthpiece taper differences between US, French and Japanese models.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom