Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedal recommendations for high gain, widdly tones.

What's Hot
I'm looking for something to run into the clean channel of my unmodified peavey classic 30 for shreddy, widdly, indulgent and generally tasteless playing with too many notes.

My current chain is:

Timmy (for crunch) --> Maxon SD9 (Distortion) --> Bad Monkey (solo boost) (into carbon copy, into micro amp which is always on)

I sometimes stack the Timmy into the SD9 which makes thing get quite over the top, but I lose clarity, and if I hit the Monkey as well, feedback and general mess ensues.

I'd like something that has the gain on it's own. I like a good shred now and then so want something to indulge this naughty habit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    You could do so much worse than get an AMT P2 pedal, or one of the other flavours - just check out Bergs demo:

Duration 7:07

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn that's pretty cool :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

You could do a lot worse than a Digitech Hothead.

For a little more the Boss MEgadistortion has more gain than anyone needs (it's even got too much for me.......)

The Boss Metalzone gets little love, but can does the highgain dance.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17905
    tFB Trader
    What's your budget?

You can't go far wrong with a Suhr Riot if you can spare the wedge.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I'd got for a riot for modernish tones or a wampler pinacle for more 80's chewy tones.  Both are excellent.
  • Cheers guys,
    I used to own a Riot - didn't do it for me despite all the great reviews. Can't remember what I didn't like about it.
    Pinnacle looking good, but also like the idea of cheapo pedals too.

Budget up to £150 at a push.

Wisdoms all round (if you like that sort of thing)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17905
    tFB Trader
    If you want inexpensive then:

Visual Sound Son of Hyde - It's a Shredmaster clone
    Mooer Cruncher - It's an MI Crunchbox Clone
    Marshall Jackhammer - Very cheap SH

A RAT or Mooer Black Secret for 80's distortion shred. 

The ultimate is the Bogner Red, but it certainly ain't cheap!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want inexpensive then:

Visual Sound Son of Hyde - It's a Shredmaster clone
    Mooer Cruncher - It's an MI Crunchbox Clone
    Marshall Jackhammer - Very cheap SH

A RAT or Mooer Black Secret for 80's distortion shred. 

The ultimate is the Bogner Red, but it certainly ain't cheap!
    ALL OF THE WISDOM HERE

The Son of Hyde is STONKING sounding.  Boost it for true shred, but it's got enough gain for some pretty heavy tones.  Online demos suck though, ignore them.  It sounds great. 

Another one: Duncan Power Grid.  More gain than anyone needs (don't go above half!), very fat, grainy as hell (doesn't clean up like an amp, but does do it's own thing).  Massive EQ section, super powerful. 
  • Thanks a lot everyone - some fantastic suggestions coming in. 
  • I recently bought a job lot of Behringer pedals and in amongst them was an XD-300 which is apparently a clone of the old discontinued Boss XT-2. 

I fully expected to hate it, but plugging in was just instant chugga-chugga-widdly-widdly time. Made me crack into a huge grin. 

Probably not the greatest pedal in the world but you'll pick one up for washers second hand. 
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    +1 for the Pinnacle, fantastic pedal that actually sounds as good in real life as it does in the demo vids.
    Valar Morghulis

Personally I prefer the Jackhammer on the OD setting, for rhythm playing.

A Hardwire CM-2 is excellent value, and on the modified setting does the high gain nicely. The classic side is pretty close to a Mk1 Guvnor, so all round good.

The EHX East River Drive is a good, not-too-expensive way to a tubescreamer sound.

And the Vox Satchurator is a variation on the classic DS-1, with more of everything. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mi audio crunch box. It's built for the shreds.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Before you do anything, try changing the order of the pedals you have - Bad Monkey into SD9 should give you much more what you want than the other way round. I'd possibly put the SD9 in front of the Timmy as well.

Stacking mid-boosted pedals into mid-scooped works much better than the other way round for harmonic-rich solo tones. Boss SD-1 into DS-1 is the classic example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers for the suggestion - I'll give it a try ASAP.
    I'll try this:

Bad Monkey --> SD9 --> Timmy 
    and
    Bad Monkey --> Timmy -->SD9 

The Bad Monkey is one of my favourite pedals for adding gain and grit to a dirty amp.

Should work nicely.

The MXR Distortion+ is also very good for adding gain/volume to an already dirty sound, and it doesn't add a load of mids like a lot of pedals do.

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Providence stampede all the way mate
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ICBM said:
    Before you do anything, try changing the order of the pedals you have - Bad Monkey into SD9 should give you much more what you want than the other way round. I'd possibly put the SD9 in front of the Timmy as well.

Stacking mid-boosted pedals into mid-scooped works much better than the other way round for harmonic-rich solo tones. Boss SD-1 into DS-1 is the classic example.
    +1

the hardwire metal distortion is pretty decent on the (fairly) cheap for crazy high gain tones. i'm guessing some people would think it sounds like bees in a jamjar, though.
    The Ibanez Jet Driver is also a nice distortion. flexible too.