Ripping CDs - is flac the way forward?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Get an mp3 player that can support OGG Vorbis, and do it at the highest bitrate. It's basically undetectable, and the file sizes are smaller than FLAC.

I'm in this boat at the moment. My phone is terrible for music, I want a dedicated mp3 player again. Apple can go fuck off though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72715
    Just remembered, there's a check box in iTunes that gives you the option of converting higher-res files to AAC (128, 192 or 256kbps) when syncing to your iPod. If so surely you just need to keep them on the computer at full AIFF/WAV. It might make syncing a bit slow but presumably it only needs to do any new files each time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So I'm looking for a player right now... and is it me, but are all modern day mp3 players a load of shit? Android based, so probably slow as fuck... or you've got the iPod, which doesn't support the lush playback formats. *sigh*
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17692
    tFB Trader
    You need a Pono.....  =))
    NO U!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5000
    I guess what I had in mind was a central store in FLAc on my copmuter for listening to on good sources, streaming in the house and whatnot and then when i load onto phone (android) or ipod transcoding to a smaller format so I can fit more on teh device.

It doesnt sound like other people use this approach though.
    That seems a sensible way to operate.  I listen to almost all my music [on the hi-fi system] streamed FLAC using Sonos - digital out to my system.  I have a decent quality DAC, the sound is more or less the same as CD.  I say 'more or less' as I cannot tell the difference.

Mobile use, I use a ZEN player and copy a dozen or more FLAC albums to it.  Keep on changing the music so it stays fresh.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    FLAC's other advantage over wav, apart from getting around 50% compression, is it makes better use of metdata (i.e. it stores it and things read it). Don't know much about AIFF, but since it's Apple's WAV I suspect it doesn't.
    I've got a Sansa clip and it supports most things I throw at it. 50% is not to be sniffed at, movies are bigger, but if you've got a lot of albums it quickly adds up, especially on portable players where space might be limited.
    I tend to rip CDs straight to high quality Vorbis since for me the disc itself is the high quality backup. For things like vinyl I'd rip to FLAC because doing the rip itself is much less easy (have to get the gear for it and do at 1x speed, then do all data entry manually), but I don't have many of those.
  • Well i went for flac in the end, im going to try media monkey for syncing. So far done 63 artists so it's not taking too long.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • So having ripped quite a bit now...does anyone know why some cds seem to take forever and other are really quick? doesnt seem to be jsut related to the track length
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17692
    tFB Trader
    What are you using to rip them?

EAC can take a long time if the disc has errors.
  • CD-Ex
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ