New Guns N Roses song

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1473
    Double yes on Adler - The older I get, the more I appreciate his feel.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27320
    Every big band eventually either 1) splits up, 2) goes weird in an effort to stay interesting, or 3) just ends up making bland mid-tempo meh songs that no record company would normally touch if they weren't already massively famous. 

U2 did 3 via 2, Rolling Stones did 3, Radiohead have done 2 a couple of times, Beatles did 1, Coldplay tried 2 but not hard enough so have been firmly at 3 for at least a decade. GnR did 1 then 3, though arguably were already a way towards 3 with UYI. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    edited August 2023
    Man, I like the UYI Guns, both 1 and 2 have some real gold on there, yes two albums was one too many but that's by the by I guess. You have to remember too, some of them songs were written before even Appetite was done, that was just there best and most finished songs at the time. Appetite is gold from back to front of course unlike the Illusions.

They absolutely lost something when Adler and then Izzy left but they had enough songs in the can to make them great still up to the Spaghetti Incident. The car crash afterwards was insane of course.

This is the best new song they've done since Duff and Slash were back in the fold, who knows if they do an album whether it would be any good but I suspect they'll keep Axl as far away from doing an album as possible joy

Not surprisingly to many on here, I think Metallica and to a degree U2 bucked the trend from Mike's analogy above. They both did a bit of 2, then 3 and have made some excellent new music after that. U2 with the albums HTDAAB and then No Line On The Horizon, and Metallica have written some classics on their last 2 LPs. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Man, I like the UYI Guns, both 1 and 2 have some real gold on there, yes two albums was one too many but that's by the by I guess. You have to remember too, some of them songs were written before even Appetite was done, that was just there best and most finished songs at the time. Appetite is gold from back to front of course unlike the Illusions.

They absolutely lost something when Adler and then Izzy left but they had enough songs in the can to make them great still up to the Spaghetti Incident. The car crash afterwards was insane of course.

This is the best new song they've done since Duff and Slash were back in the fold, who knows if they do an album whether it would be any good but I suspect they'll keep Axl as far away from doing an album as possible joy

Not surprisingly to many on here, I think Metallica and to a degree U2 bucked the trend from Mike's analogy above. They both did a bit of 2, then 3 and have made some excellent new music after that. U2 with the albums HTDAAB and then No Line On The Horizon, and Metallica have written some classics on their last 2 LPs. 
    I honestly wavered with U2 but I don't think there's much denying it's been generally diminishing returns post-ATYCLB. But I don't see them having another real resurgent (as much as I'd give almost anything for one)

But this GnR song is still pap :P 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4314
    Boromedic said:

Absolutely agree with all of this. The swing was Izzy, Duff, and Steve Adler. No question. Apparently Tom Zutaut used to take the piss out of Adler, calling him 'Disco Boy' or some such (I wouldn't have dared :lol:) but look what they lost after he was booted. Mind you, you'd have to go some to get kicked out of Guns for getting too high.

The writing was on the wall really, but I disagree with @stickyfiddle a little. I think if five unapologetically revolting herberts like them turned up circa 1989, 1990 with a cache of material like the Illusions records, Geffen would have signed them in a heartbeat.

Then the Spaghetti Incident of course. That was deffo a number three. Never mind the hour of my life spent listening to Chinese Democracy that I'm still determined to sue Axl Rose for.

It's nice to see them playing together. I enjoyed the Glastonbury set, got a beer and cranked the TV - couple of hours well spent.
    Hey, I mean no disrespect to them as a legacy act - they're clearly a huge draw and sound great live. But they're a 100% legacy act. 

UYI might have made a good single record after heavy editing, but there's no way anyone in 1991 is putting out a big single that's 9 minutes long in 1991. But since then (32 years remember!) there's been absolutely zero to write home about
  • randellarandella Frets: 4314
    edited August 2023
    Hey, I mean no disrespect to them as a legacy act - they're clearly a huge draw and sound great live. But they're a 100% legacy act. 

UYI might have made a good single record after heavy editing, but there's no way anyone in 1991 is putting out a big single that's 9 minutes long in 1991. But since then (32 years remember!) there's been absolutely zero to write home about
    No worries, I didn't for one minute think you did! The song's not great and they are absolutely a legacy act. Fun to watch but I've not set my calendar reminder for any album release dates even as a mega fan.

For me, Slash's solo stuff is a better bet nowadays, Myles Kennedy live does Axl better than Axl. Velvet Revolver had more of G'n'R in, now I come to think of it lol
    Yeah, I actually really liked the first VR record. It still sounded like they were trying (whichever of them was in it - Slash, Duff, Sorum I think?)

And I zero against legacy acts - Stones, McCartney, U2 are all unquestionably there and all unquestionably fantastic to go and see play. Muse aren't far off either.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    edited August 2023
    I really liked VR as well, even Libertad had some decent stuff on it. The first album had some really awesome rock songs on it like Slither and Fall to Pieces, some great signature Slash playing on that in particular actually, which harks back to his best in GnR.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Slither was an immense rock tune and a very fun riff.

I really like Slash's last two albums with MK, and they were/are excellent live.

GnR as a collective, no new music required.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1104
    I also like UYI Guns. Axl was amazing then. The 1991 concert when Izzy was still there is fantastic. Izzy's Stones-esque songs from that period are great and a fantastic contrast to Axl's piano epics.
  • Absolutely love UYI albums , remember record shops opening at midnight so people could buy them . Remember the Paris concert being shown on mainstream tv & taping it 
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 141
    I wasn't too impressed with them (uyi I/II) at first. They grew on me though. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12062
    I think we can do the "generic Band X has done a new song" thread now....

Huge Fan of Band: "Band X has done a new song - brilliant, they are just as good as ever huzzah!!"

Person Who Always Hated Them: "Just as shit as ever, snigger"

Person Who Knows Their Most Famous Songs Only: "It's OK I guess, meh, I'll take <insert actual hit here> any day"

Know It All Person Who Likes To Look Knowledgeable: "Well of course nothing is as good as when Band X were working with Producer Y, who also worked with Band Z and Band AA... who none of you have ever heard of but are clearly better than Band X ever were..."

...and so on ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    tFB Trader

Huge Fan of Band: "Band X has done a new song - brilliant, they are just as good as ever huzzah!!"

Person Who Knows Their Most Famous Songs Only: "It's OK I guess, meh, I'll take <insert actual hit here> any day"

Know It All Person Who Likes To Look Knowledgeable: "Well of course nothing is as good as when Band X were working with Producer Y, who also worked with Band Z and Band AA... who none of you have ever heard of but are clearly better than Band X ever were..."

...and so on ;)
    Oh common...  I dont know why people have to put everyone in neat marked boxes these days...  People are much more nuanced than that.

Like I am a pretty big fan..  Been listening to Appetite since it came out when I was in my teens so I certainly know more than the hits.... And I thought the new song was just Meh... So which box does that put me in?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12062
    Rabs said:

...and so on ;)
    Oh common...  I dont know why people have to put everyone in neat marked boxes these days...  People are much more nuanced than that.

Like I am a pretty big fan..  Been listening to Appetite since it came out when I was in my teens so I certainly know more than the hits.... And I thought the new song was just Meh... So which box does that put me in?
    You secretly love it and came here to say "they are as great as ever huzzah" but we're scared of my boxes, and even more scared of my hammer and nails, with which I would trap you in the box....

...was quite tongue in cheek mate, just a comment on how these threads follow a similar theme, could do a catch all tonewood thread, a catch all Rob Chapman thread, etc etc, just fun!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2619
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

...and so on ;)

You secretly love it and came here to say "they are as great as ever huzzah" but we're scared of my boxes, and even more scared of my hammer and nails, with which I would trap you in the box....

...was quite tongue in cheek mate, just a comment on how these threads follow a similar theme, could do a catch all tonewood thread, a catch all Rob Chapman thread, etc etc, just fun!
    Yeah sorry..  I just see that a lot these days....  It seems to be a lot of how the internet works and I find it annoying....  Which I guess was your point  :)    You just caught me in an odd moment....