Looking for some Jazz Bass pickup recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2597
    Hope Mojo add more pickups to the Bones range - they are great value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to resurrect this thread as I'm looking for some five string Jazz bass pickups 

I was thinking DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, but happy for any suggestions.

The @OilCityPickups site suggests they don't do 5 string pickups, but I'm not sure if that's true.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10568
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to resurrect this thread as I'm looking for some five string Jazz bass pickups 

I was thinking DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, but happy for any suggestions.

The @OilCityPickups site suggests they don't do 5 string pickups, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Total tarts us - we'll do anything :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    Five string Overkill model would be well wickēd were it not for the fact that RIC five-string basses are not well regarded.

I was thinking DiMarzio Ultra Jazz but happy for any suggestions.
    How important to you is noise-cancellation? 

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz cancels hum and produces a pleasing "Rock" sound. According to the website description, the cover dimensions are not identical to Fender five-string J pickups. Hopefully, there is enough slack in the Squier cavities to accept your chosen replacement pickups.

Last year, Ash announced a dual coil Rails type pickup for Telecaster. Perhaps, there is a bass Rails in the pipeline?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Five string Overkill model would be well wickēd were it not for the fact that RIC five-string basses are not well regarded.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz cancels hum and produces a pleasing "Rock" sound. According to the website description, the cover dimensions are not identical to Fender five-string J pickups. Hopefully, there is enough slack in the Squier cavities to accept your chosen replacement pickups.

Last year, Ash announced a dual coil Rails type pickup for Telecaster. Perhaps, there is a bass Rails in the pipeline?

Noise cancellation would be useful, but it's not a deal breaker. 

I have Dimarzio "Areas" in a strat and they are very good which makes me fairly positive about them.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10568
    tFB Trader

Noise cancellation would be useful, but it's not a deal breaker. 

I have Dimarzio "Areas" in a strat and they are very good which makes me fairly positive about them.
    Absolutely no reason we couldn't do a five string OverKill ... :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    Would copper screening foil around the fabric tape covering the copper coils help to reduce hum and other interference?

On Seymour Duncan NYC Soapbar (double J style) bass pickups, I cannot help noticing that even the single coil mode is less noisy than a conventional J pickup.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12927
    I am a big fan of the Dimarzio Area-J pickups.

I also have a pair of Ultra Js in a different bass and they're pretty good but I probably prefer the Areas.

Both are four strings, mind.