Amps with no fx loop

What's Hot
MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
edited October 2014 in Amps
What do u do with an amp that has no fx loop but you want to use reverb/delay etc plus use the natural amp distortion?

Sorry for the noob question, but it's always been a bit of a deal breaker for me not having the loop.

do u just not use those effects?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Some people just tame the effect level right down (have it last in your chain before the amp) so it doesn't compress the repeats/reverb too much.

Other people have their amp modded.

Myself? I'd just ditch the amp (or not buy it in the first place).
    <space for hire>
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    Throw it out of a hotel window
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    You can also use a wet/dry setup where you take a line out from the first amp, through the FX and then into a clean amp - which can be something quite cheap and often solid state. You don't necessarily even need a speaker on the first amp, a dummy load will do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How do you take a line out of the first amp?
    If it doesn't have a socket for it, you can connect a 'pad box' to the speaker output. If you want to use a dummy load, many of these (and attenuators which you can use as a load) have a line out socket built in, exactly for this purpose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's pretty cool. I'd imagine the second amp would colour your original tone though(?).
    The idea is to use something as neutral as possible, so a solid-state power amp is often the best choice.

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I just plug all my pedals in the front - works for me!
    ;-)
    It will work fine with lower levels of gain, but progressively less well as you crank it up… although I think @Drew_fx will disagree :).

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    You can't get the tones I like without going straight in the front. Delay and reverb in the effects loop is always a bit too clean for my liking.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Im one those weird guys that never uses an effect loop. I tried them but never heard what i liked enough to warrant the use.
  • Check out Laney IRTX. Speaker out goes into IRTX. IRTX back to speaker. IRTX has a send and return where you insert your fx. The gives you wet/dry and totally maintains your guitar tone.

The IRTX is flat response but picks up the tone going to your cab. I bought 2 for W/D/W and I am finding that a single one is enough. Massive sound.

Cheers Rich
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    wave100 said:
    I just plug all my pedals in the front - works for me!
    ;-)
    +1.  My preference is for non Effects loop amps.  Never had a problem with effects in the front.  I don't run that many anayway.

Marlin
  • I've only ever ran them in front but I think with distortion + delay it can sound muddy. Good question because I'm looking at Blackstar ID amps now and they don't have a dedicated FX loop.
  • To me it entirely depends what you want from it. If you are just looking for a hint of something then I've never found a problem up front, I just dial down the effect level, but if your are wanting a very fx heavy sound then loop is better.

I believe Slash runs everything in the front of his amp at the moment, not that he is the necessarily the preferred guitarist of choice around here to draw example from...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Check out Laney IRTX. Speaker out goes into IRTX. IRTX back to speaker. IRTX has a send and return where you insert your fx. The gives you wet/dry and totally maintains your guitar tone.

The IRTX is flat response but picks up the tone going to your cab. I bought 2 for W/D/W and I am finding that a single one is enough. Massive sound.

Cheers Rich
    That looks like a tasty bit of kit, I've always wondered why companies have never exploited slaving (for want of a word), at 300 quid it's better value than the Badcat unleashed but I'm not sure I'd want to be restricted to using the built in speaker?

• Slash doesn't use an FX loop ??
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited October 2014
    Check out Laney IRTX. Speaker out goes into IRTX. IRTX back to speaker. IRTX has a send and return where you insert your fx. The gives you wet/dry and totally maintains your guitar tone.

Cheers Rich
    That looks like a tasty bit of kit, I've always wondered why companies have never exploited slaving (for want of a word), at 300 quid it's better value than the Badcat unleashed but I'm not sure I'd want to be restricted to using the built in speaker?

If I've understood that correctly the IRTX is between your amp and the speaker and could act both as a monitor and a separate fx loop.  But if I really understood it, I'd buy one right now - @dunstanmus do you want to sell one of yours ?
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    How recent are FX loops? Plenty of classic guitar tracks were delay is in front of the amp; I guess we now have delays in FX loops and £150 small boxes in front of the amp simulating an Echoplex pre amp or what have you. If you like your amp / CBA with 4cm then look to delays/ reverbs intended to work in front of an amp.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I got one with FX loop, why? Because if gives me the option should I want to use it. A bit of future proofing never harm anybody so from the get go I thought I may as well. And get one with series not parellel.