USB power

What's Hot
Has the power output of a USB port dropped in recent years.

I'm sure in the past old older PCs/Laptops I could charge phones/ipods fairly quickly.

I recently dug out a really old gen 2 ipad 20GB it would just not charge over USB had to use the
clunky charger that came with it.
Likewise any modern devices I try to charge seem to take an age to charge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Pretty sure bog standard USB can only technically supply 500ma max to a single device unless it's one of those funky high power ports intended for charging.  An iPad charger is well over 2A.  Not too surprising it charges quicker. ;)

I think it's less a case of USB ports delivering less power these days, and more a case that modern gizmos have far larger batteries and higher charging requirements.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    charging it from a laptop or desktop?
    the laptop may be running on lower power consumption? also check if the computer charger is a bit older, maybe its not giving out as much charging power itself
  • Fuzzdog said:
    Pretty sure bog standard USB can only technically supply 500ma max to a single device unless it's one of those funky high power ports intended for charging.  An iPad charger is well over 2A.  Not too surprising it charges quicker. ;)

I think it's less a case of USB ports delivering less power these days, and more a case that modern gizmos have far larger batteries and higher charging requirements.
    Exactly. My Sony Xperia Z can't charge from USB at all - it requires more power to run than the 500mA at 5V (2.5W) a USB 2.0 port can put out. The Battery Charging profile allows for up to 1.5A at 5V (so 7W).

USB 3.1 can handle a *lot* more - between 10W and 100W depending on the voltage used (up to 20V, I believe). We're not there yet, though.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    Can anyone recommend a good powered USB hub?

I've got an external Blu Ray player that is a bit picky sometimes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited October 2014
    Can anyone recommend a good powered USB hub?

I've got an external Blu Ray player that is a bit picky sometimes.
    I have this

It charges my iPhone 6 no problem. It supports USB 3.0's 900mA power per port.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

I am not very intelligent.  Can you tell me. If you plug your computer into a USB mains socket, will it charge?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-usb-charger-port-black-nickel-flat-plate/26218

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited October 2014
    digitalscream said: Fuzzdog said: Pretty sure bog standard USB can only technically supply 500ma max to a single device unless it's one of those funky high power ports intended for charging.  An iPad charger is well over 2A.  Not too surprising it charges quicker. ;)
    I think it's less a case of USB ports delivering less power these days, and more a case that modern gizmos have far larger batteries and higher charging requirements. Exactly. My Sony Xperia Z can't charge from USB at all - it requires more power to run than the 500mA at 5V (2.5W) a USB 2.0 port can put out. The Battery Charging profile allows for up to 1.5A at 5V (so 7W).
    USB 3.1 can handle a *lot* more - between 10W and 100W depending on the voltage used (up to 20V, I believe). We're not there yet, though.

Interesting. I have a Sony Xperia T that charges quicker depending on the USB
    lead that I use. The Sony one that came with the phone requires the phone to be charging for ages. I have another, shorter lead that came with one of those portable rechargeable emergency chargers, and using that one takes significantly less time, for some reason.
  • dogload said:

Interesting. I have a Sony Xperia T that charges quicker depending on the USB
    lead that I use. The Sony one that came with the phone requires the phone to be charging for ages. I have another, shorter lead that came with one of those portable rechargeable emergency chargers, and using that one takes significantly less time, for some reason.
    I've noticed that, too. I have a couple of leads where it doesn't even supply charge as fast as the battery drains with the radio turned off.
    <space for hire>
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3691
    edited October 2014
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Sambostar said:

I am not very intelligent.  Can you tell me. If you plug your computer into a USB mains socket, will it charge?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-usb-charger-port-black-nickel-flat-plate/26218

No, computers put power out over their USB ports, not take it in.

The socket you linked to is for phones and tablets etc
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    After about 15 years of using USB sockets I'm still not quite sure which way up the male side goes.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• wibblewibble Frets: 1144
    Gassage said:
    After about 15 years of using USB sockets I'm still not quite sure which way up the male side goes.