1x12 combo options

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 340
    tomajoha said:
    thomasw88 said:
    HoraceB said:
    I'd certainly be wary of the Bad Cats, although they sound fantastic unfortunately in the last six weeks I've had two Black Cats, after the second one died I went for a Hot Cat which was also faulty and am currently waiting for a replacement (hopefully with the initial shipment of faulty transformers and wrong component issues sorted) for that from the States! The brief time I had with one of the Black Cats (the second one didn't last two days) I think the head room would be an issue for you. 
    Conversely my Hotcat has been reliable so far, done about 10-12 gigs with it and was playing it daily for two months as I like it so much.

Appreciate Horace has has a mare with it and really hope the next one works fine.   But its the best amp I've ever had, and Ive had a lot..

Agreed and the older ones are also bombproof
    Might be worth mentioning that all my Bad Cats were heads, maybe the heads were the ones with the dodgy transformers and wrong components. I think I just got unlucky and basically got the whole shipment! :D Having said all that I  liked the amps so much that I am willing to give them another go and hoping the next shipment will have had all the issues dealt with. The time I had with them I did prefer the Hot Cat and as previously mentioned I think this would suit Mr Rsvmark needs better. I see Morgans mentioned ,I also have a Morgan Dual 20 Combo(currently for sale) which could fit the bill but again may be an issue with the headroom although it is a very loud 20 watts the 40 watt version may be better if you can find one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9647
    edited August 2023
    If you can find a tone king majesty, they are the best Marshall style I've heard in your price range and wonderfully flexible.
    There was one on eBay recently and I think the seller resides in this parish.

If you could find more pennies, the Marshall setting on a Bartel is a thing of beauty. @fretfinder is selling his for some strange reason, but the beauty of the Bartel is that you'll have Marshall, tweed, Vox and blackface settings in one amp. That means you can use it as a pedal platform or as I do, with the guitar set the drive the amp and roll back the volume to clean up. If you get to grips with a bartel, you don't need pedals, other than maybe delay, chorus type. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    HoraceB said:
    tomajoha said:
    thomasw88 said:
    HoraceB said:
    I'd certainly be wary of the Bad Cats, although they sound fantastic unfortunately in the last six weeks I've had two Black Cats, after the second one died I went for a Hot Cat which was also faulty and am currently waiting for a replacement (hopefully with the initial shipment of faulty transformers and wrong component issues sorted) for that from the States! The brief time I had with one of the Black Cats (the second one didn't last two days) I think the head room would be an issue for you. 
    Conversely my Hotcat has been reliable so far, done about 10-12 gigs with it and was playing it daily for two months as I like it so much.

Appreciate Horace has has a mare with it and really hope the next one works fine.   But its the best amp I've ever had, and Ive had a lot..

Agreed and the older ones are also bombproof
    Might be worth mentioning that all my Bad Cats were heads, maybe the heads were the ones with the dodgy transformers and wrong components. I think I just got unlucky and basically got the whole shipment! :D Having said all that I  liked the amps so much that I am willing to give them another go and hoping the next shipment will have had all the issues dealt with. The time I had with them I did prefer the Hot Cat and as previously mentioned I think this would suit Mr Rsvmark needs better. I see Morgans mentioned ,I also have a Morgan Dual 20 Combo(currently for sale) which could fit the bill but again may be an issue with the headroom although it is a very loud 20 watts the 40 watt version may be better if you can find one. 
    Have you tried one of the hand wired ones that predate the recent update? If the tone suits maybe that would be a safer bet?
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 518
    You can try my Hamstead 60RT, plenty of headroom, some mix of British and American sounds, kinda its own thing!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1416
    And after Much internetting, Googling and consideration, we have a winner. Trigger pulled and I am off to collect tomorrow………….

one of these…….

https://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/amplifiers-and-cabinets/lightning

I bloody hope I like it!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Nice !
  • Bloody lovely
    @Nikc @DrCornelius I will let you know tomorrow. The manual on line suggests cranking the master to the max and then pre amp should be adjusted to taste….. oh go on then
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    That's my favourite Matchless.

Hopefully yours isn't brown :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bravo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16301
    Greatape said:
    jhumber said:
    1x12 combo with clean headroom to act as a pedal platform? Hope it’s ok to point at the Carr Rambler I have for sale in the classifieds (well under your budget too). In terms of clean tone it’s the best I’ve had.
    Amazing amps. All the Carr stuff is. 
    This is the way to go
    Rambler is fantastic in it's own clean (til really pushed ) right......pure Fender but better
    BUT .....it just loves pedals .......£100 of decent MIAB pedal and you've got a marshall too (same goes for Voxy pedal )