Kemper vs Helix vs Quad Cortex

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    Have played with the QC, sold a Helix, currently own a Kemper, Axe FX II and an FM9.

I prefer the Fractal approach.
    Kemper's management app is weird, as is the architecture of the device.
    I don't find it intuitive at all.

Helix was fine but doesn't sound nearly as good as the FM9 and is a larger footprint on stage.

QC wasn't properly finished when I used it, maybe it has changed by now but I won't beta test products that I buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    Nerine said:
    … a Quad Cortex isn't what you'd call "cheap" and you could probably get into the Fractal ecosystem if you shopped around at that sort of money. 
    Agreed. I think the deciding factor here should not be the sound, or even the initial cost, but how the OP intends to use the device. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Starplayer91Starplayer91 Frets: 6
    edited August 2023
    Warming to the Kemper so far but will need to A B it with the Helix in the shop. I think the Helix and QC have the edge on user interface but Kemper seems to have the edge on sound which, is what it's all about. 

Does anyone have experience with the desktop editor for Kemper? I'm thinking of the stage plus a power amp as it's the cheapest option and I can be comfortable dialing in sounds at my desk and use the stage for practicality of playing. 
  • Starplayer91 said:

Does anyone have experience with the desktop editor for Kemper? I'm thinking of the stage plus a power amp as it's the cheapest option and I can be comfortable dialing in sounds at my desk and use the stage for practicality of playing. 

Using the desktop editor is my modus operandi and, for dialing in sounds and setting up effects chains, it is more than adequate.  When it comes to setting up different patches in Performance Mode I get slightly frustrated.  Now this in a combination of the editor being less intuitive than my Helix editor and the fact that I'm not using the Kemper for live work and hence I'm not as familiar with it as I am the Helix.  I dare say that if I moved over to using the Kemper live then, within half I day, I'd be flying around without problems.  As it stands there's every chance that I'll have to repeat steps because I haven't saved something at the right moment or some other such operating glitch.  I should say that the errors are all human in nature, the software itself isn't unstable.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    I have Kemper and QC.

I think I prefer the amp tones on the Kemper, but the form factor of the QC makes it a lot easier for live use.  That's not to say the QC amp tones are bad.  They are very good, but I think the Kemper ones are marginally better.

The QC is at an earlier stage of it's life cycle.  They have sent me an email about a beta of desktop software to control it being released next week.  The Kemper was similar initially.  Rig Manager had very limited functionality.  It took them quite a while to launch the remote, so I've still got a Behringer FCB101 lying around.  Nobody really remembers that now.

Most of the time, I leave my Kemper plugged into my PC with studio monitors for practice and recording, and use the QC live.
  • Kemper user for many years and use with a powered Kabinet. Kemper just keeps getting better and looking forward to hearing the LP stuff when it is finally release proper. 

Hundreds of gigs of all sizes; works flawlessly and sounds as good as any live sound I've ever had irrespective of kit. I use a stage now as the format is perfect for my needs. I have used a head/floorboard when they first came out.

All of the units sound great (tried them all at one point or another - not owned, but borrowed or demo'd). 

The best one is the one that fits your specific needs in honesty as they all sound crap if you can't play and they all sound incredible if you're John Cordy (insert your own preference here!)

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom