Any plumbers?

What's Hot
The water pressure booster pump in my flat seems to have given up. It all of a sudden this morning started vibrating loudly and I've turned it off in case of any further damage. Could I replace the pump myself ? I'm handy with diy and it doesn't look too difficult to change. Any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Not a plumber but do tackle most plumbing jobs myself, water is usually easy to work with, and if you make a mistake you just get a leak. Turn water off, turn power off, change part, reconnect, turn everything back on. Surely should be as simple as it looks to you and sounds to me :D
  • I replaced my pump.  

Anchor Pumps http://www.anchorpumps.com/ had the best price on the Grundfos that I needed.

On this pump the water connection is a push-fit on flexible hoses so it couldn't have been easier.

You know of course to turn the water off at the main etc.?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    Lol yeah we had a problem with the ball valve a little while ago and learnt some good lessons
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Any chance of a photo?

First off, go and get a new pump, and the right tools to do the job. Make sure you isolate it electrically, and from the water mains. Are there shut-off valves either side of it? If so, it'll be a piece of piss. Have a towel(s) ready to catch any remaining water in it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    edited October 2014
    Should be easy enough, especially if it has isolation valves either side. If they're gate valves (the ones with proper handles you can turn by hand) that's even better. The type with just a little button you turn with a screwdriver can seize up and then leak after they've been turned on and off cos the rubber seals can perish and/or harden with age.
    Big plus one for getting the new pump first!
    edited October 2014
    Oh, and if Emp pitches up with any advice it'll take a bit longer to do.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's a pump that gets fed from the tank above it. So it doesn't run directly off the mains supply and it's also plugged into a socket so it's no effort to disconnect electrically. I'm at work at the moment so I'm not able to take a photo. It's supplying more pressure to the bathroom and kitchen taps (shower is just a hose connected to the bath taps). I don't think it'll be too expensive to replace going by what I've found.
    All done. Got a direct replacement for just under £180. Not the end of the world but that's put a knock in the 'buy Xbox one' idea for now.
    It's easy to do a job from start to finish when using the FB online advice service!