Orange Dark Terror vs 60w Peavey 6505+ 112 combo

Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
edited October 2014 in Amps
I have an Orange Dark Terror into a Harley Benton 212 at the moment,  and GAK have a 6505+ 112 combo for £350 at the moment. Is the 6505+ different enough to be worth having as well? Or Should I part ex the Dark Terror. I've seen some of the combos turned into real nice 60w 6505+ heads too, which fits into my long term plan of a Harley Benton 412 with V30's. 
How do the 6505+'s do at practise volume? I've noticed they have mic simulated XLR out, could I put that through a USB audio interface and get nice tone through headphones as monitors to use it as a practise amp? 

If I'm honest, I'm really leaning towards having both right now. The DT does some great cleans at bedroom volume with the master cranked and gain at 9 O'clock, and some real nice british mid gain tones ala Steel Panther style stuff. but is a fizzy/hum monster if left alone without being played. 
Then again, some of my favourite bands use the 6505+ (Black Veil Brides, EVH [as the 5150 II obv] MachineHead, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, All That Remains, Asking Alexandria, Parkway Drive and Bring Me The Horizon [Their older good stuff]) 
it's a 2 channel head, with a crunch switch basically giving you 3. It has a decent EQ while the ODT just has a tone knob...

Hmm. If I can afford both, is it worth having both? I'm pretty sure in typing that I've just convinced myself of the 6505+ though. 
what say ye? 
EDIT: just found out Ted Nugent uses one too, that man is insane
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Peavey is a great sounding combo. Not a patch on the USA head and 4x12, not sure if it's the quality of parts, circuitry, cab, speaker or what.

However, it's a quality, heavy sounding amp for that money. Set it for clean and high gain, or crunch and high gain - you won't get all three. :)

Listen to pretty much any modern metal band or evh and that's the ballpark tone you're looking at.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    ThePrettyDamned;379625" said:
    The Peavey is a great sounding combo. Not a patch on the USA head and 4x12, not sure if it's the quality of parts, circuitry, cab, speaker or what.

However, it's a quality, heavy sounding amp for that money. Set it for clean and high gain, or crunch and high gain - you won't get all three. :)

Listen to pretty much any modern metal band or evh and that's the ballpark tone you're looking at.
    What difference did having the US head make other than 120 over 60W? Was is more responsive or did it actually sound markedly different? Do you think they would have sounded closer if you had played the 60w through a 412? (Assuming you didnt)

'Awibble'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    If you can afford it, buy the Peavey. Then if you don't like the Dark Terror as much you can sell it, probably for more than they would have given you on the trade-in. Or you may like the Terror better, even... hard to say unless you're tried both. Don't assume that what works for other players will automatically work for you even if you play in the same style - it's not always a certainty.

The worst mistake would be to trade in the Orange and then find out you preferred it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826

I loved my 6505+ Combo. In fact i feel a bit silly for selling it. But felt the 2x12 cab and a head route were the way to go for my specific needs.

I remember demoing it in the shop out of curisoty rather than anything else and ended up loving it. I don't play metal but it has a great rock sound and can also genuinley do cleans well with some serious knob tweaking !

At practice volume they're ok, not a patch on how they are when cranked though.

Man i miss mine :(

• Hertz32;379631" said:
    [quote="ThePrettyDamned;379625"]The Peavey is a great sounding combo. Not a patch on the USA head and 4x12, not sure if it's the quality of parts, circuitry, cab, speaker or what.

What difference did having the US head make other than 120 over 60W? Was is more responsive or did it actually sound markedly different? Do you think they would have sounded closer if you had played the 60w through a 412? (Assuming you didnt)

[/quote]

Hard to say - a combination of more power, better cab/speakers? Who knows. It sounded different, but the combo sounds ace for hard rock, metal, thrash, heavy rock... It's very tweakable. Quite portable, too, and it even sounds quite decent at bedroom practice (though I think there are better options - it likes to be at least a loud living room volume before it sounds great, and lower rehearsal volume before its in full on kick arse mode).

I think @icbm is right, though. Try both :) are you in a position to get to a shop and plug in to one?

It's quite different sounding to the dark terror, I didn't like the dark terror much and my gut says you'll prefer the Peavey, but *don't* take my word on it - it's just got that gain channel which, for me, is pretty much one of the best around.

Don't trade the dark terror for it. If possible, try both, then sell your least favourite, or keep both and use a stereo chorus for something that sounds massive ;)
    Only way I'd be able to try one is to get down to GAK and try one really, unless anyone can think of anywhere else that stocks them. Only real guitar shops I can think of between here and there are andertons and GuitarGuitar, neither of which have one to try. 

'Awibble'
    You've got me intrigued by the idea of a stereo chorus now, Damnit! Wouldn't that just turn to mush at high gain though? Anyone had any thoughts on using the mic sim out as a headphone option though an audio interface? Does the Mic sim even mute the speaker?
    'Awibble'
  • Hertz32;380461" said:
    You've got me intrigued by the idea of a stereo chorus now, Damnit! Wouldn't that just turn to mush at high gain though?

Anyone had any thoughts on using the mic sim out as a headphone option though an audio interface?

Does the Mic sim even mute the speaker?
    Well, if the effect is off I think it would just split the signal in two - giving you two gain sounds. @icbm may clarify?

It might mush out a bit at high gain. Maybe.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Hertz32 said:
    EDIT: just found out Ted Nugent uses one too, that man is insane
    He certainly is. He's a fucking lunatic.

Anyway, I agree with ICBM's first post. :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."