Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

5e3s in 2023...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 923
    RickLucas said:
    Absolutely cracking amp, it’s the best I’ve ever owned by miles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    I’m also a recent Gartone convert.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We need to have a tFB Gearfest and do a 5E3 shoot out! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    I used to own the 5e3 that @Neilybob now has. It's a bit more than a standard ceriatone! I loved that amp and tweaked it to perfection, only sold it as I also have a Rift Tweed 30 and needed the funds to buy a les paul!
  • john_r said:
    I used to own the 5e3 that @Neilybob now has. It's a bit more than a standard ceriatone! I loved that amp and tweaked it to perfection, only sold it as I also have a Rift Tweed 30 and needed the funds to buy a les paul!
    I had a dream last night that I went to Malaysia specifically to chat with the guy from Ceriatone about what amp I should get.
    I really need to get a life.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently acquired a new fully loaded Lazy J10LC and I absolutely love it 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    Gartone Bluesman all day long
    overall....the best amp I have ever played or heard
  • I have a preference for the 5x3 derivation (6L6 based)
    The best one I tried was a double one from Wienbrock, with 4 x 6L6
    He fitted switches to allow you ti scoop the mids a bit

Victoria amps are all wonderful in my experience, very cheap used prices last time I looked 
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    edited September 2023
    Hey guys, just wanted to reply - I ‘had’ a lazy j20 & sold it because it didn’t do what I wanted it to - always loved the 5e3 circuit but was always scared of an amp with no onboard reverb. Thx to this thread and rift having a limited edition run of 5e3’s, by pure coincidence a high end hand built 5e3 came up, took the chance and oh my giddy aunt!!!! This amp with just the stock as is layout, amazing ! 

So glad I took the plunge thx guys I’ll never be scared of an amp with no reverb again lol !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    Hey guys, just wanted to reply - I ‘had’ a lazy j20 & sold it because it didn’t do what I wanted it to - always loved the 5e3 circuit but was always scared of an amp with no onboard reverb. Thx to this thread and rift having a limited edition run of 5e3’s, by pure coincidence a high end hand built 5e3 came up, took the chance and oh my giddy aunt!!!! This amp with just the stock as is layout, amazing ! 

So glad I took the plunge thx guys I’ll never be scared of an amp with no reverb again lol !
    What’s the amp?
  • I have a preference for the 5x3 derivation (6L6 based)
    The best one I tried was a double one from Wienbrock, with 4 x 6L6
    He fitted switches to allow you ti scoop the mids a bit

Victoria amps are all wonderful in my experience, very cheap used prices last time I looked 
    At last, someone has mentioned Wienbrock, my Me3 is switchable between 6V6 and 6L6, always used it with a pair of 6V6’s, never needed the extra power, it’s a great amp.
  • markj said:

What’s the amp?
    This one - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221662/

my god it’s killer ! 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though. Contrary to common wisdom, I love and use the 3D cleans. Pedals for OD.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5114
    edited October 2023
    Lebarque said:
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though.
    You can put 6V6s in a J20, just change the rectifier to a 5Y3. I did that with my old J20H and it sounded glorious, so I kept it like that for all the time I had the amp. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Lebarque said:
    Gotta love a 5E3. I've got a Lazy J 20 too. Interested in trying a J10 or something else with 6V6s though.
    You can put 6V6s in a J20, just change the rectifier to a 5Y3. I did that with my old J20H and it sounded glorious, so I kept it like that for all the time I had the amp. 
    You're right. I should try that.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    edited October 2023
    I have a 57 Deluxe and contrary to all the 'noise' on YouTube, it doesn't just miraculously turn from sparkly angels to breathing fire on a knob turn of any guitar. A well chosen pedal helps blend tones to suit which enrages 'purists'. But - THE guitar that really brings it to 3D life in that purist guise is not my vintage Strat, or Gibson '58 spec 335, or PRS P90s - but my 25th Anniversary Harley Benton Tele with it's alnico V PUPS!  - Match made in heaven. All you need is earplugs.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 5e3s are great. There are some obvious limitations with just one tone control and some peculiarities with the interactive nature of the two channels - i never found it as versatile as I would personally like though and my one was noisier than I would like at extreme settings (this wasn't a Fender and might have just been my one).

I briefly rigged up a 5g9 tremolux (without the tremolo) at one point which is similar but uses a long tailed pair phase inverter (same values as a 59 tweed bassman). That was awesome and i probably preferred it to the tweed deluxe overall.

For the 5e3, for my tastes it definitely works best with a 12ay7 first and an NOS 5y3 last... although it's fun experimenting with different valves and speakers too. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    5e3s are great. There are some obvious limitations with just one tone control and some peculiarities with the interactive nature of the two channels - i never found it as versatile as I would personally like though and my one was noisier than I would like at extreme settings (this wasn't a Fender and might have just been my one).

I briefly rigged up a 5g9 tremolux (without the tremolo) at one point which is similar but uses a long tailed pair phase inverter (same values as a 59 tweed bassman). That was awesome and i probably preferred it to the tweed deluxe overall.

For the 5e3, for my tastes it definitely works best with a 12ay7 first and an NOS 5y3 last... although it's fun experimenting with different valves and speakers too. 

I like mine clean best, or with just a bit of grit.  The cranked deluxe thing is fun, but for most applications, especially when using pedals anyway, the cleaner tones work best.

I’ve mulled over a 5f4 tweed super in the past.  Not tried one but on paper it probably is my ideal tweed amp.  Not much heavier than a deluxe but double the power, long tail PI and fixed bias also I think.
  • Never played one but the YT vidoes I've seen of the 5f4 sound good. If i had the time I might consider building a 6V6 version. 10in speakers are great too.

You're right it is fixed bias and it drives the tonestack with a cathode follower like a tweed bassman but I think it has the cathodyne phase inverter. All good though! 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2394
    When I play rock’n’roll gigs I go back and forth between my Matchless Lightning and my @Modulus_Amps 5E3. The main downside of the 5E3 is how hard it is to get the volume right but it flatters and fattens single coils like nothing else. If you like building pedals I strongly recommend getting a Modulus kit - the feeling of building a working amp is just brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom