Lawrence - Pop / soul brilliance

What's Hot
Anyone else seen these guys? Their all over my algorithm this week and utterly fabulous. Gracie (singer) has a bit too much post-Rihanna vocal inflection but her voice is great and man are these two songs great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3s0QXScrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Gx9TRIsIc 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess that's zero people then...! 

Y'all should have a listen it will make your day better. Unless you're a curmudgeonly blues rocker stuck in the mid-70s, at least... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Had a quick listen last night just before bed and thought it sounded horrible, will have another go with fresh ears later. It was the forced vocal inflections I was struggling with 
  • lol that's fair. This was actually the first video that I clicked on - vocally a little less full-on and a decent Beatles cover, among other things

• Gracie’s voice (or her choices) can be pretty irritating, but not so much that I can’t enjoy the music. Expect you’ll like some of this old solo record, @stickyfiddle . So Damn Fast and Hall-Crossed Lovers the highlights for me.

https://clydelawrence.bandcamp.com/album/homesick

Gracie’s on there, too, but only on background vocals, so less space for histrionics.
  • Ta @barnstorm ;- I hadn't found that yet. Will have a listen. 
  • 30 seconds each time. That voice may do it for some, but not me. So affected it's frightening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha fair enough. I'm still in love with this one. A lot less of the weirdness in the vocal and just a great low-key performance with phenomenal harmonies throughout 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    edited September 2023
    As soon as I see a band like this I always say, 'Rich dad got them a break?' I then check Wikipedia and find that sadly I'm right. I would say there's always something about these groups that gives it away, but then it seems to be the case with most groups now. Maybe it was always like this.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    edited September 2023
    As soon as I see a band like this I always say, 'Rich dad got them a break?' I then check Wikipedia and find that sadly I'm right. I would say there's always something about these groups that gives it away, but then it seems to be the case with most groups now. Maybe it was always like this.
    Honestly these days that’s just about anyone who’s “makes it” who isn’t obviously making all of their music on a laptop in their bedroom. 

In any case these guys have serious chops and some catchy tunes - that’s far more than most can manage. Having rich parents just helps them push at it without fear of where next month’s rent will come from.

Either way I can’t begrudge those who have the resources to go and do it - I’d have done exactly the same in their place. Who wouldn’t?!
  • Having a dad who made some crappy films doesn't make it any easier to write a catchy song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    edited September 2023
    Yes, I know, it's just weary old me having a rant :-) You've made me go in search of these catchy songs you speak of now....
  • What's going on with her Rs? When she speaks they're all normal, yet when she sings she has a pwoblem. Is this a thing nowadays?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23023
    I have to say, seeing a band name like "Lawrence" doesn't inspire me to investigate their music.
  • First video. Not sure I get the Rihanna reference. It’s a bit High School Musical.
    Second video - presumably this is the classic ‘film a support slot and pretend it’s your crowd’ school of video. Sort of a Deacon Blue B side. 
    That whirring sound in the background is James Brown turning in his grave every time someone describes this as Soul. It’s fine but it’s very twee. Makes a change from quirky covers or widdly wee guitar solos I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Haha fair enough. I'm still in love with this one. A lot less of the weirdness in the vocal and just a great low-key performance with phenomenal harmonies throughout 

That definitely floats my boat. It's great. Thanks for posting this up.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2779
    The real Lawrence is/was the frontman of Felt, the band that had the benefit of the fabulous Maurice Deebank as their guitarist