Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clone pedal builder rant

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
Am I the only one that feels a huge disappointment when I look at a clone pedal and it has no labeling or graphics on it?
A fair amount of effort goes into sourcing and making these things and then they are let down by looking like any old metal case with knobs on them. Show some pride and show off your work. At least put your brand on the damn things!

I look at Juan solo and 4114 effects and I wonder why the rest cant do this. 

I will go back in my box now. As you were. 
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    I tend to feel more disappointed when I open one up and find that "hand made" looks as if the hands belonged to a drunken chimpanzee... who had previously been sober enough to order the cheapest possible parts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How else would I be able to conceal my secret weapons?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've got to the point with DIY stuff that I look at the enclosures and think - better come back and redo this sometime...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    As long as they're sparkly, i'm cool. Some "brand" builders could do well with revising or removing all of their graphics and logos - I'd rather have nothing on a box than some of the munters out there. Not that it should matter. Tbh, I find the "graphic'd top/unfinished sides and underside" thing some builders (EHX are the prime example) way more offensive. LAZY.

Don't even get me started on some of the names.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDE said:
    As long as they're sparkly, i'm cool. Some "brand" builders could do well with revising or removing all of their graphics and logos - I'd rather have nothing on a box than some of the munters out there. Not that it should matter. Tbh, I find the "graphic'd top/unfinished sides and underside" thing some builders (EHX are the prime example) way more offensive. LAZY.

Don't even get me started on some of the names.
    I want a rant man @JDE !

Name and shame!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Haha, just off the top of my head, and i'm not bashing any of the actual pedals themselves (some of 'em I really like), but....
    Keeley - makes ace pedals. His new range have some of the daftest names i've heard for a while. Red Dirt? White Sands? Stahlhammer?
    EHX - pedals I like and like to slate in equal measure. Turnip Greens. Turnip. Greens.
    TC - Dark Matter. FECAL MATTER, MORE LIKE. MojoMojo.
    Pigtronix - stupid name.
    Fuzzy Octavulator. What?
    King of Tone. Barf.
    Les Lius. ??????????
    Stax Master. Shit Master. Also contender for ugliest pedal of 2014!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • you rule sir!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    ill chip in, i use powdercoated enclosures that are coloured but plain. I use them because they are really tough finished and don't chip as easily as hand painted enclosures. It takes me days to paint and waterside decal an enclosure. Basically this process is cost prohibitive. I'd like to use silk screening but because i don't build one type of pedal particularly it makes it difficult/expensive to silkscreen individual pedals. I certainly wouldn't be able to charge anymore as I'm not a known brand so any extra time/cost makes it not worth me building.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17904
    tFB Trader
    Being in possession of a Thorpy pedal at the moment they look fantastic close up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Being in possession of a Thorpy pedal at the moment they look fantastic close up.
    thanks! have a wisdom
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i like cool graphics...i have to admit at the moment the whole EQD graphics vibe is my favourite out of most builders.

but in support of @thorpy6 and other similar builders, i like the simple colour (even sparkly colour) theme as well. Especially if the whole pedalboard is the same and you have different colour pedals on your board...like a pack of jellybeans  
  • If it's that much of an issue you could decorate them yourself.

I guess some small builders just don't have the equipment, space, time or desire to paint pedals - they'd rather stick to what they are good at.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    I concur ...Thorpy = sparkly goodness
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Yes they look great, are very well built,and sound fantastic. I totally understand why labelling is cost prohibitive for small builders building lots of pedal types, but agree a name or logo would be a good addition
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    I agree, especially when my 'approved vendor of pedals' Pete Cornish, goes to such huge lengths to have an aesthetically pleasing range of pedals.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    I put dymo labels on mine for that "just gooped" look.

Clone Pedals- fully labelled
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ICBM said:
    I tend to feel more disappointed when I open one up and find that "hand made" looks as if the hands belonged to a drunken chimpanzee... who had previously been sober enough to order the cheapest possible parts.

Sorry.

I've given up making pedals now.

:D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 467
    edited October 2014
    I want one of those turnip thingys..

But not at £160!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure I'd want you opening up one or two of mine!

I do try and put reasonable quality parts in them though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    crunchman said:
    I'm not sure I'd want you opening up one or two of mine!
    To be honest, if they're not as bad as Devi Ever they can't be all that terrible...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom