Steven Wilson, The harmony codex

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited September 2023 in Music
Anyone checked out the two releases so far?

Looking forward to the album immensely!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Thanks for posting.

Really enjoyed both of those. Loved the visuals too. 

Roll on 29th September.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• A third track has now been released with the wonderful Ninet Tayeb.
  • Indeed...

Must admit I am not so keen on this one - I think it sounds great and wonderfully performed, but I really don't like the lyrics at all.

• Thanks for that - Hand,Cannot erase is still on heavy rotation in my house. Was delighted to see him live at last a few years ago. Superb stuff.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I like his stuff, both solo and with Porcupine Tree, but it's music without much 'soul' for me. There's nothing wrong with that, I listen to all sorts of stuff, but I can't fall in love with artists that don't connect with me more. He has had times, eg some of Guthrie and Holzman's solos (in the past). He's generally labelled as 'prog', which is far and away my fave genre, but I just don't love him like some bands.

These tracks are rather nice, but that's about it for me. Not essential purchase like Raven and HCE were.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited September 2023
    Thanks for that - Hand,Cannot erase is still on heavy rotation in my house. Was delighted to see him live at last a few years ago. Superb stuff.
    HCE is probably my favorite album of all time, some exquisite  playing and musicianship on display, but the actual music is great, very emotive

axisus said:
    I like his stuff, both solo and with Porcupine Tree, but it's music without much 'soul' for me. There's nothing wrong with that, I listen to all sorts of stuff, but I can't fall in love with artists that don't connect with me more. He has had times, eg some of Guthrie and Holzman's solos (in the past). He's generally labelled as 'prog', which is far and away my fave genre, but I just don't love him like some bands.

These tracks are rather nice, but that's about it for me. Not essential purchase like Raven and HCE were.
    I have generally preferred the solo output over porcupine tree, probably as I became aware of him via HCE.

Following Raven and HCE was always going to be a tall order.  I've enjoyed parts of all of the subsequent albums, but they have not been quite on the same level. He has obviously made a decision to move away from Prog but I don't think the newer music feels as natural to him and a bit more forced - even if the very high production and performance standards are maintained. 

That said, his work always is best listened to as a full album, so I am looking forward to the 29th immensly.

Here is the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrACQP4AtI

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited September 2023
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    I’m loving the new album, it’s been on regular rotation since my copy arrived on Saturday. Personally, I find it difficult to single out a favourite, there are things I enjoy about all of them. I also love that Steven’s music evolves but you can still tell it is him. If I did have to single out an album, maybe To The Bone. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited October 2023
    Of the new album, I'm loving the last 3 tracks. 

Overall, I'm finding the album a little disjointed and there are a couple of tracks that that just don't do it for me. 

Really good interview with him and Niko on that pedal show discussing and playing the solos, which is worth a watch.