Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Cocktail Thread

What's Hot
Thought this could be a fun thread- everyone loves a good cocktail, right? Does anyone have any go-to stuff they order beyond the obvious G&T, Marghrita, Mojito, Martini etc?

I've been enjoying the wonderfully-named Suffering Bastard this week. Bourbon, gin, lime and ginger. Fantastic :)
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd love to learn how to make a few cocktails for those occasions when we're having a house party and we want to add a bit more interest to the drinks, even though I don't drink them often.

When we were in Iceland recently there was a free gin cocktail bar at a gig and the guys were making gin with basil, and gin with thyme. The basil one was really nice.

What kit does one need?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Have to admit I am a bit of a traditionalist.  A good Mojito, a 'Vesper' Vodka Martini or very large Mai Tai will always find a welcome home.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Dry Martini Gin with a twist of lime is my go-to cocktail
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I tend to avoid cocktails these days. Spent too much time laying on the floor of bars in the past due to drinking them like beer, and too much time carrying various other cocktail-victims back home. Trouble is, they taste superb, but it hits you all of a sudden. By then, it's too late.

I'm sticking with G&T, or rum and coke.

Mind you, I do have a very good recipe for a strawberry daiquiri, which uses fresh strawberries, bacardi, orange juice and cream.

• Not really a cocktail but my favourite drink over the summer has been

25% Sainsbury's Lime Cordial (NOT Rose's which is way too sugary and not lime-y enough)
    5%   Sainsbury's Hi-Juice Lemon (just enough to make the drink cloudy)
    20% Gin
    50% Sainsbury's Diet Indian Tonic Water

Good enough to make up in a pint glass ... but it goes down way too easily ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    I'd love to learn how to make a few cocktails for those occasions when we're having a house party and we want to add a bit more interest to the drinks, even though I don't drink them often.

When we were in Iceland recently there was a free gin cocktail bar at a gig and the guys were making gin with basil, and gin with thyme. The basil one was really nice.

What kit does one need?
    Not much really. You can mix some straight into a glass. The main bits are a good cocktail shaker, a "muddler" (essentially a stick for schmushing stuff), a good knife for cutting limes and lemons and maybe a zester thingy too. And ice. Lots and lots of ice.

I tend to avoid cocktails these days. Spent too much time laying on the floor of bars in the past due to drinking them like beer, and too much time carrying various other cocktail-victims back home. Trouble is, they taste superb, but it hits you all of a sudden. By then, it's too late.

Been there. Walking home after a night sitting down drinking cocktails is fun...

Not really a cocktail but my favourite drink over the summer has been

25% Sainsbury's Lime Cordial (NOT Rose's which is way too sugary and not lime-y enough)
    20% Gin

Gin Fizz is also great - just Gin and Cloudy Lemonade.

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Not really a cocktail but my favourite drink over the summer has been

20% Gin

Totally. I was on bourbon highballs last night - just Jim Beam with ginger ale an a dash of bitters. Lovely :)
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I'm sticking with G&T.

Might I recommend a few drops of Angostura Bitters in the glass on occasion to turn it into a pink G&T. Flowery.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    You know, at one time I never drunk a G&T without Angostura. Then the missus decided she didn't like it, because she thought the bottle we had had 'gone off', so we've not touched it since. Might have to revisit it now you've said about it.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited October 2014
    When I was returning to London from Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, Rome, at the end of August, I noticed that all the Duty Free Shops were promoting Limoncello Liqueur, and Melone Grappa Bottega.

Check here for Limoncello Liqueur:-  https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=limoncello

Check here for Melone Grappa Bottega:- https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=melone+grappa+bottega

I bought one bottle of each (long since finished).  :)  I couldn't find any in Tesco's.  

Interestingly, Tesco's now have Limoncello Dessert, which can be found in their Dessert Aisle, next to Tiramisu, Cheesecake, etc. It is made in Italy for Tesco, but I expect it is available in other supermarkets.  

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My go to's are Manhattens, Old Fashioneds, Negronis, Americanos and the occasional classic Daquiri 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd said:
    My go to's are Manhattens, Old Fashioneds, Negronis, Americanos and the occasional classic Daquiri 
    Love an Old Fashioned. Had a couple in Campbell's Apartment in NYC in the summer. Could barely walk back to my hotel! Best bar I've ever been in :D
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Jalapeno said:

Our old rugby club drink was Gin and Hooch. Exactly as it says, a double Gin mixed with a bottle of Hooch. Lovely, but kinda leathal at the same time.

Bit more upmarket than a "turbo shandy", which is half a Stella with a bottle of Smirnoff Ice mixed with it. Tastes like shandy, but is about a billion times more lethal.

Why do I only know drinks for getting really shitfaced on

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:
    Love an Old Fashioned. Had a couple in Campbell's Apartment in NYC in the summer. Could barely walk back to my hotel! Best bar I've ever been in :D

Very envious mate, looks great. Bet they nailed the drink there too. Best bar I've been in was the Black Angel in Prague. Had a couple of Manhattens there, served traditionally with cured meat as a garnish...I'm a bit of a drink geek....as an ex cocktail barman it would fill me with dread to hear "6 Old Fashioneds" on a busy Friday/Saturday night shift...with them taking 6-7 minutes each to make......

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

mike_l said:
    Jalapeno said:

Our old rugby club drink was Gin and Hooch. Exactly as it says, a double Gin mixed with a bottle of Hooch. Lovely, but kinda leathal at the same time.

Gin & Hooch is excellent.  Good substitute for the now defunct LemonHead alchopop

Feedback
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Jal, I've been pissed on G&H so many times I can't remember.

Hence why I stick to beer these days.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd said:
    lloyd said:

Very envious mate, looks great. Bet they nailed the drink there too. Best bar I've been in was the Black Angel in Prague. Had a couple of Manhattens there, served traditionally with cured meat as a garnish...I'm a bit of a drink geek....as an ex cocktail barman it would fill me with dread to hear "6 Old Fashioneds" on a busy Friday/Saturday night shift...with them taking 6-7 minutes each to make......

Ha! I don't make em at home... Needless to say these were excellent and huge but not as big as the godknowswhat MrsF ordered. I pretty much carried her home...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited October 2014
    Johnny Blade - Carlsberg Special Brew, Diamond White and a single JD in the top. Named after the Sabbath tune of the same name. Like a nitro snakebite.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I love to have a variety of cocktails if I go somewhere that does them. Sweet fruity silly things... 

Very nummy

But at home, I've never got the ingredients... especially as I like variety, I'd have to have dozens of different wobbly waters and a squillion mixers.

Which is why the house it just stocked with wines