Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does top wrapping a Les Paul make a difference?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    stickyfiddle;36426" said:
    If I were allowed, I'd be giving lols AND wisdom...
    I've 'wisdomed' it for you....

It also indicates an unhealthy interest (there is no other sort in my opinion) in Joe Bonamassa....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    TimmyO said:
    I think the main thing it does is identify you as someone who reads a lot of Internet bollocks about "tone" lol

i gave you one too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    I love the feel of top wrapping. Top tip! Can't say I notice a difference, but since the strings are substantially slinkier, there may be a small difference (like using thinner strings).
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    jd0272 said:
    Loads of opinions as we'll find. I simply top wrap as I have found I get less string breaks (none) this way. Sound wise? All in the ear.
    100% my opinion too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    I did it on my old 1960 reissue.  That was very bright sounding for a Les Paul, and it did seem to warm it up a bit.

I think the idea is that you get better vibration transfer to the body by having the tailpiece screwed right down.

Having said that, the 58 reissue I now have sounds so good that I have just left it stock and not messed with it.
  • Did they design it to be "Top Wrapped"...no....I'll leave mine as it is....ta
  • It's not always about trying to be Joe Bonamassa or reading internet bollocks about tone.  Les Paul neck angles can vary, they are set by hand.  A guitar might have a higher bridge due to the angle the neck was set.  If they want, or need a shallower break angle but don't want their stop bar on stilts, this is the method.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point, have a wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687

My Ravelle is top wrapped, not sure about the feel but there was definitely something tangibly different about the sound which I put down to the tailpiece being screwed right down.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    TimmyO said:
    I think the main thing it does is identify you as someone who reads a lot of Internet bollocks about "tone" lol
    but who would have such a discerning eye? hmm - takes on to know one. :D

I do it, I read lots of books on guitars and use the internet too, if anyone judged me for that, I'd wonder why they had to.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • It does if you think it does....

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31886
    I tried it recently, and broke my first EB Slinkys in decades, right at the end of the ball end wrap on both of 'em.
    Luckily it was during a studio session, not a gig, but I won't be doing it again. Apparently folks used to thread the old ball ends off the previous strings onto the new strings first on wraptail Juniors, just to move the bending point away from the wrap, but I can't be arsed, frankly.