Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What songs/pieces/ techniques are you all working on this week?

What's Hot

Comments

• Green Tinted Sixties Mind by Mr Big... first band airing this weekend..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Green Tinted Sixties Mind by Mr Big... first band airing this weekend..
    That's a great number to cover. I love the vocal harmonies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Agreed! We've been doing this live for some years. Four out of the five of us sing so the harmonies sound great. We do a 4 part a cappella bit after the solo too.
  • Currently working out the (a?) Beat It solo without a whammy and probably no tapping. I have no plans to get it note for note but nailing the vibe with enough appropriately flashing-sounding twiddly bits. I have 7 weeks till the gig... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Only just written this tonight, so a bit ropey...cliché love song.
    https://youtu.be/V1qk8bUkqqo?si=5qkNFWT4S8BRR9gC
    Maybe the band will give it a bit of a Raconteurs vibe, or they may just say piss off with yer soppy love songs...they normally do =)
    Well, I think that deserves a wow @Petepassion ;;)
    Jimbro66 said:
    Agreed! We've been doing this live for some years. Four out of the five of us sing so the harmonies sound great. We do a 4 part a cappella bit after the solo too.
    Ah, that's brilliant!
  • Leo Brouwer Etude no. 5 - just started it, I'm working through them all in order. Enjoying it but no. 3's a bit of a nightmare. 

Also learning some original songs on acoustic for recording later on in the year. Mostly fairly straightforward but just trying to get them all up to a good level.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Jimbro66 said:
    @axisus you do yourself an injustice. You've set the bar fairly high so anyone who was rubbish wouldn't get anywhere at all with those songs. It seems like you just need to persevere with them. For getting the fast runs in your head, slowdowner software is your friend.
    As mentioned, I've been struggling with them for years!
  • Jimbro66 said:

Yeah, I think we'll come unstuck at the vocal harmonies, only 3 of us in the band, and only one can truly sing.. but we'll have a go..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Leo Brouwer Etude no. 5 - just started it, I'm working through them all in order. Enjoying it but no. 3's a bit of a nightmare. 

Also learning some original songs on acoustic for recording later on in the year. Mostly fairly straightforward but just trying to get them all up to a good level.

I just listened to 1 - 20. Hats off to any player who can make it all the way through and play to performance standard. Yes, No 3 clearly does keep both hands very busy  :) 
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Leo Brouwer Etude no. 5 - just started it, I'm working through them all in order. Enjoying it but no. 3's a bit of a nightmare. 
    I just listened to 1 - 20. Hats off to any player who can make it all the way through and play to performance standard. Yes, No 3 clearly does keep both hands very busy  :) 
    Hats off to anyone who can listen all the way through!

Although #6 gets a pass:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:

Yes I think part of the problem with 3 is it just sounds wrong when played slowly. I've got it to the stage where I can get through it, but still not as fast as it should be. I really like nos. 2 and 4, they are quite enjoyable to play. 
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

I had no idea about this at all! How bizarre. Every day's a school day... 

Bit of a spoiler though, I've not got to that one yet! 
  • digitalkettle said:Hats off to anyone who can listen all the way through!

Although #6 gets a pass:

6 was the only one of that collection that grabbed me.  Not played like that (Ozzy) though!

As for the OP question, I started looking at Tommy Emmanuel's Angelina.  Not sure I have the patience/time these days  to work it all out though.
  • @ Digitalkettle and Jimbro66
    Thanks, very kind
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

Oh no...I feel bad now...#6 is about as nice as an etude can be!

I recently dusted off my classical and started working on Antonio Lauro pieces...currently 'Works for Guitar Vol. 7' (so that's Nelly, Ana Florencia, and Petronila).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5468
    I'm mostly working on two things. One is a long-standing theme in F# dominant Phrygian, morphing into B mixolydian and back. I've been playing that for perhaps a couple of years but it's really come on lately and I'm finding interesting new things to do with it. 

The other is a new departure for me, a piece in Dm. Now I have always hated playing in F major (= D minor - same thing) and never seen any reason why I should employ that awkward key when there are plenty of other perfectly good keys to use. But this new thing in D minor, only a couple of months old so far, is really starting to take wing and I'm getting a bit excited about it. Little by little I'm discovering little tricks that work in that key and my life-long dislike for it is morphing into a newfound liking. Love? Much too early to say that. But there is a spark there.

• Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

I recently dusted off my classical and started working on Antonio Lauro pieces...currently 'Works for Guitar Vol. 7' (so that's Nelly, Ana Florencia, and Petronila).
    That's ok I was just joking. I had to look up Antonio Lauro but those are some nice pieces, I will listen to some more on YouTube. 
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

That's ok I was just joking. I had to look up Antonio Lauro but those are some nice pieces, I will listen to some more on YouTube. 
    Cool...here are a couple of highlights:

Vals Venezolano No. 3 'Natalia'

Suite Venezolana...which is just an incredible thing:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    As it happens I have also been learning an Etude - that one by the Beatles:

Etude, don't make it bad.
    Take a sad song and make it better ...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom