David McCallum

What's Hot
Sad news. He was 90 so a fair innings.
I loved The Man From Uncle when I was a kid.
RIP Illya Kuryakin.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/david-mccallum-death-ncis-age-b2418396.html
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I don't recall the Man from Uncle but he played a good part as Ducky in NCIS. Seemed like a nice guy off screen too. Sad to lose him. RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved this little gag in NCIS

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Loved The Man from UNCLE. A staple of Saturday morning TV. 

I liked Sapphire and Steel, even though I found it quite unsettling. I can't imagine it's aged well. IIRC, it looked like it was done on a shoestring budget.
  • Sad news. I was a fan of 'Man From Uncle' in my youth.
    It's not a competition.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes, sad news. I was a fan too - I've still got the Man from UNCLE model car on top of my bookcase. Press the button on top of the car and Napoleon and Ilya pop out from the sides, firing guns. I've had that for, I suppose, about 57 years.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    That's sad and I remember him from The Man from Uncle, The Invisible Man and The Great Escape amongst others.

His son Val, is an accomplished guitarist and has played with some big names, most notably Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt

RIP
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    As kids a special treat for us was to stay up late and watch the Man from UNCLE films. Really good childhood memories! We were big fans of Sapphire and Steel in the 70s as well. I've watched a few of them again recently. The wife was a big NCIS fan so I saw a fair bit of him in that as well. 

Robert Vaughan and David McCallum were a great pairing. Actually I have a box set of UNCLE films, I shall have to dig it out.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    I liked The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as a kid, although I find it pretty unwatchable now to be honest.  Strange that a Russian(ish) character who looked a bit like a young Vladimir Putin was so popular...

My strongest memory of The Invisible Man is that weird rubber mask with attached hair he used to "wear" to make himself visible.  Freaky.

A staple of our childhoods, though.  RIP.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    DB1 said:
    Yes, sad news. I was a fan too - I've still got the Man from UNCLE model car on top of my bookcase. Press the button on top of the car and Napoleon and Ilya pop out from the sides, firing guns. I've had that for, I suppose, about 57 years.

Hey @DB1, I'd love to see a piccie of that if possible :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    All the way with Ilya K!

Sadly, channel D will never be opened again. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    I knew him from The Invisible Man and Sapphire and Steel. He always seemed to be good in any role he was in. RIP
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited September 2023
    Here you are @equalsql - I hadn't quite realised how bashed up it is, but it's only six years younger than me and nowhere near as bashed up as I am. I wasn't one for looking after my toys, I'm afraid.

Edit: It still works though - either one can still shoot you if you look at them wrong.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aww nooooooooo he was brilliant Uncle ,invisible man, sapphire n steel ,NCIS can’t believe he was 90  was he in a film called mosquito squadron too ? I never saw the ending of it around 83 one afternoon ,it looked good , I seem to recall him as a really good Dr Frankenstein too ,probably with a crawling hand in the film at one point 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11797
    Kilgore said:
    Loved The Man from UNCLE. A staple of Saturday morning TV. 

I liked Sapphire and Steel, even though I found it quite unsettling. I can't imagine it's aged well. IIRC, it looked like it was done on an Eddie shoestring budget.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    I'm glad a few have mentioned The Invisible Man and Colditz too as that was where I recalled him from
    Great actor - RIP

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11797
    I remember TMFU but I'd completely forgotten about Sapphire & Steel.  He was a good actor yes, and I had no idea he was 90.  Where does the time go eh?

RIP.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    I never really watched Sapphire & Steel.  I was at university for part of its run so I may have been too busy not drinking and not partying.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    DB1 said:
    Here you are @equalsql - I hadn't quite realised how bashed up it is, but it's only six years younger than me and nowhere near as bashed up as I am. I wasn't one for looking after my toys, I'm afraid.

Edit: It still works though - either one can still shoot you if you look at them wrong.

That's great. And I thought I was the only one to keep some of my childhood toys.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14288
    tFB Trader
    Colditz is my first memories of David back in the 70's and then probably The Great Escape - Looks like a type cast character based on those two programmes - So some good memories from my child hood there

Have never seen The Man from Uncle
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    equalsql said:
    DB1 said:

That's great. And I thought I was the only one to keep some of my childhood toys.
    there was a similar one based on the Green Hornet, but whom I'd never heard of... But I too was a keen MFU fan and is sad news...

corgi green hornet Online Sale UP TO 70 OFF
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>