eBay Help!

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Briefly:

I sold a pedal over a month ago. It worked under my ownership, it worked when I sent it.

The new owner contacted me today to say it worked when he received it but has used it twice and now it doesn't work.

He would like a refund. Now, I can't be confident that he would return the same pedal - I stupidly didn't note the serial No.

For all I know he could have broken the AC adaptor - I've asked him to try another. He could have fried it with a wrong adaptor or various other scenarios of incorrect use.

I wondered where I stand legally and in accordance with eBay/PayPal rules.

I will do my own research but I know there's some good knowledge to tap into here.

Cheers
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    I'd have thought / hoped that, once he accepted that it worked when he received it, then you should be in the clear.

But I fear you may be at the mercy of eBay / PayPal's dispute resolution processes taking a similarly rational and logical view of the situation ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    A month ago -  did he leave positive feedback?   If he did I would use that to argue, that it was fine when he bought it.

I had a similar case last week when he claimed it hadn't arrived - I pointed out the feedback he left suggested that something very similar had arrived that he was happy with at the time.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 472
    hmmm, i dont know, sorry
    it seems to me that if it always worked for you, and then it worked for him 'twice' (whatever that mean, turned on off twice? on 2 days?) and now it doesnt, then you sold him a working pedal that has broken in his ownership.
    as for ebay/paypal rules im not sure how they will look at it.

what pedal was it? how complicated? hopefully its just some use error on his behalf that is easily rectified, ie dodgy cable/power supply that he can change and have the pedal working again
    fingers crossed
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited October 2014
    I don't believe you have to offer a guarantee when you sell stuff in eBay as a private seller. The bloke has shit out, in my view, sad though it is.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Not sure eBay will side with him if you already have it in writing that it worked when he received it. That's game over in a private sale I'd have thought

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

As a gesture of goodwill, I would direct him to the manufacturer's site and any forums that might help him and pass on any knowledge or suggestions that might help also.  Other than that, of it was working and was as described when he received it, he hasn't got a case I wouldn't have thought as the time for a case has expired.

He needs to take some responsibility.  Everyone wants something for nothing these days and it's always someone else's fault.

If he persists, I would send him a shitty email suggesting that of he wanted a flawless pedal with a guarantee he could save up and buy the damn thing new, other wise he takes his chances, it was working perfectly when you sent it out and it is not your responsibility.

Some people want sending back to the stone age just to make them realise exactly what they have got.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Just checked, apparently the limit for a case is 45 days.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    I had something very similar, just buyer's regret I think. Tossed a few emails back and forth, I was sympathetic but explained it worked at my end and had he checked his PSU,etc. I didn't have to refund, although he didn't take it to a dispute.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    I had a guy chasing me for valves about 3 months after he bought the amp (I hadn't claimed a revalve or anything in the sale!). You can imagine where I politely told him to go....
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited October 2014
    Thanks chaps. I'm trying to establish exactly what the problem is and then I'll see what do.

It's an EHX pedal so it needs it's own PSU which I supplied. Also it should be able to be repaired if a fault is there I would imagine.

I feel sorry for him if he's genuine...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    What is stopping him from doing what normal people would do?  Either go and get it fixed or put it back on ebay as spares and repairs.  It really grinds my gears when buyers' immediately decide that the seller is accountable when in instances like these, realistically, it's their issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom