Experience of LIFE GUITARS CO in Exeter

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 52
    Sidsky said:
    I’m having real trouble in getting them to pay me the money that they owe me for several items that they’ve sold on my behalf for a commission. Let’s of emails, very few replies, promises of money that doesn’t turn up. Any advice other than to make a scene at the store and talk about them negatively all over social media? 
    That’s not the first time I’ve heard of this happening to people who have sold things on commission there. As above, I’d urge small claims court action as soon as possible, and I really hope you manage to get what’s rightfully yours. 

Incidentally the Life Guitars owner’s coffee shop recently closed and appointed liquidators leaving 250k worth of debt. Devon Live article posted below to give more details. I hope for all who have gear on sale there that the same fate doesn’t await Life Guitars. 

“An Exeter café which closed suddenly last month has left a staggering trail of debts of more than £250,000. The firm, which also operated a café in Cullompton, entered liquidation earlier this month.

Loyal customers of Grow Coffee House were left stunned when their main branch on Exeter's South Street began displaying signs in the window saying “sorry we are closed” At the time, no explanation was given for the closure and the company's website was swiftly shut down.

It was later revealed that Grow Coffee House Co ltd, had appointed liquidators and a winding up notice was issued. Until now, it has been unclear how the business found itself in this position.

A statement of affairs has now been published on Companies House, which show hundreds of thousands of pounds are owed to 20 creditors. While they have assets, including stock and equipment, estimated to be worth £6,298.46, this will not cover the debts.

£6,212.01 will be paid to nine members of staff, leaving just £86.45 in assets for other preferential creditors. This means HMRC is likely to be left £85,169.41 short of what it has claimed. Among other creditors that are owed money are a number of food and drink suppliers including Hunts Food Group, Regency Wines, The Devon Sandwich Company, Westcountry Fruit Sales and Wibi Foods Ltd. 

Grow Coffee House Ltd was owned by Joff Alexander-Frye and Dan Frye who continue to run guitar shop Life Guitars Co. in McCoys Arcade and marketing company Grow Marketing. Both companies are listed as creditors in the cafe's statement of affairs, with Grow Marketing Limited owed £5,083.33 and Life Guitars Co. Limited owed £38,640.”

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 327
    I think I’ve bitched about life guitars on here before - non-delivery of a pack of picks I’d ordered. Got a refund after several goes. Small beer compared to the OP’s issue, but stuff like this adds up. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's no way to treat customers. I think they need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 117
    edited June 13
    'OK guys, try and look like you've all just passed your A Levels....'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jp5Jp5 Frets: 12
    To be fair, they’re a very young and small business trying to make it work in an industry in which local guitar shops are closing left right and centre. They’re not a massive corporation like guitar guitar or PMT etc, so they’re likely to be a little slower on certain things. They don’t have a whole team of people dedicated purely to accounts, or returns etc. And from what I know, they don’t appear to be doing commissions anymore, so clearly they’re attempting to fix what wasn’t working and trying to better themselves as a business. Maybe try to support a local business instead of bashing them at every opportunity. It’s an almost impossible task to start a guitar shop these days. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1540
    Jp5 said:
    To be fair, they’re a very young and small business trying to make it work in an industry in which local guitar shops are closing left right and centre. They’re not a massive corporation like guitar guitar or PMT etc, so they’re likely to be a little slower on certain things. They don’t have a whole team of people dedicated purely to accounts, or returns etc. And from what I know, they don’t appear to be doing commissions anymore, so clearly they’re attempting to fix what wasn’t working and trying to better themselves as a business. Maybe try to support a local business instead of bashing them at every opportunity. It’s an almost impossible task to start a guitar shop these days. 
    Welcome to the Forum, 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4280
    MaxA867 said:
    Sidsky said:
    I’m having real trouble in getting them to pay me the money that they owe me for several items that they’ve sold on my behalf for a commission. Let’s of emails, very few replies, promises of money that doesn’t turn up. Any advice other than to make a scene at the store and talk about them negatively all over social media? 
    That’s not the first time I’ve heard of this happening to people who have sold things on commission there. As above, I’d urge small claims court action as soon as possible, and I really hope you manage to get what’s rightfully yours. 

Incidentally the Life Guitars owner’s coffee shop recently closed and appointed liquidators leaving 250k worth of debt. Devon Live article posted below to give more details. I hope for all who have gear on sale there that the same fate doesn’t await Life Guitars. 

“An Exeter café which closed suddenly last month has left a staggering trail of debts of more than £250,000. The firm, which also operated a café in Cullompton, entered liquidation earlier this month.

Loyal customers of Grow Coffee House were left stunned when their main branch on Exeter's South Street began displaying signs in the window saying “sorry we are closed” At the time, no explanation was given for the closure and the company's website was swiftly shut down.

It was later revealed that Grow Coffee House Co ltd, had appointed liquidators and a winding up notice was issued. Until now, it has been unclear how the business found itself in this position.

A statement of affairs has now been published on Companies House, which show hundreds of thousands of pounds are owed to 20 creditors. While they have assets, including stock and equipment, estimated to be worth £6,298.46, this will not cover the debts.

£6,212.01 will be paid to nine members of staff, leaving just £86.45 in assets for other preferential creditors. This means HMRC is likely to be left £85,169.41 short of what it has claimed. Among other creditors that are owed money are a number of food and drink suppliers including Hunts Food Group, Regency Wines, The Devon Sandwich Company, Westcountry Fruit Sales and Wibi Foods Ltd. 

Grow Coffee House Ltd was owned by Joff Alexander-Frye and Dan Frye who continue to run guitar shop Life Guitars Co. in McCoys Arcade and marketing company Grow Marketing. Both companies are listed as creditors in the cafe's statement of affairs, with Grow Marketing Limited owed £5,083.33 and Life Guitars Co. Limited owed £38,640.”

I sold one of the owners an IMac once , he said he was buying it for his intern to use ! I thought to myself god that’s someone who works for nothing , now you see them owing all this money & stiffing people on deals ,what sort of people are they 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jp5 said:

It's not difficult issuing a refund is it? Must take what...3 mins?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4371
    Jp5 said:
    Is it Jonathan, Daniel, or Llewelyn? 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7673
    Jp5 said:
    ......Maybe try to support a local business instead of bashing them at every opportunity .....
    Did you miss the comments by the people speaking about their bad experiences who had actually tried to support the local business?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31094
    A handy instructional video from Life Guitars on how NOT to restring a telecaster.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom