F***ing eBay w***ers!

What's Hot

Comments

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 268
    Give ebay a call and speak to someone direct and see what they say.  A piss take though 3 weeks later they open a case.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Be careful when asking eBay to step in and help.  I bought something once and was genuinely defective.  Initiated the return, the seller argued, he/she asked eBay to step in and within seconds eBay issued me a refund AND eBay told me I don't need to return the item anymore.  The seller didn't even get a chance to plead their case. 
    Don't assume that just because you got your refund and kept the item that the seller was also out of pocket.

I believe that, in some situations, eBay will fund the refund, ie the seller keeps their original sale proceeds (less eBay's cut of course!).  Sometimes it's just easier and quicker (and thus cheaper) for eBay to take the hit themselves.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Be careful when asking eBay to step in and help.  I bought something once and was genuinely defective.  Initiated the return, the seller argued, he/she asked eBay to step in and within seconds eBay issued me a refund AND eBay told me I don't need to return the item anymore.  The seller didn't even get a chance to plead their case. 
    Don't assume that just because you got your refund and kept the item that the seller was also out of pocket.

I believe that, in some situations, eBay will fund the refund, ie the seller keeps their original sale proceeds (less eBay's cut of course!).  Sometimes it's just easier and quicker (and thus cheaper) for eBay to take the hit themselves.
    Well in my case I hope you're right because I did feel sorry for the seller and I offered to return the item because it was working except for a bent screw which was the defective part.  He/she never replied with their address so I kept it. 

I told eBay at the time that I intended to return the item to the seller because I don't feel right keeping the money and the item.  All they said was "you can return it if you want to, but you're under no obligation to".  If they had given the seller a refund I'd like to think they would've said "don't do that because they got their money back anyway".  Hence why I think the seller did lose out completely in the end.

In any case you said so yourself that only in SOME situations would eBay be generous enough to give both parties their money back.  The risk is very real that in the OPs case they may not be.               
  • I'm not sure ebay is any more arsehole-ridden than the general population - I've bought and sold loads of things and I don't remember coming across any more twattery than I'd expect with private sales by any other means.  Of course you have to pay the fees, but in my experience stuff usually sells pretty hassle-free as it's visible to a huge audience.

But when there are any disputes they do tend to favour the buyer. I've been quite lucky and only ever had one knob claiming they hadn't received an item, but it was only worth a few quid so I just refunded them. I've never sold anything valuable through ebay though.
  • Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I obviously refused that. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  Fiftyshadesofjay said:
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

Good grief!! What utter chancers.
  • Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I wonder if the buyer is on this forum as well =)

I wonder if the buyer is on this forum as well =)
    I've been developing my nice guy persona and feedback on here to an extent that no-one will be at all sceptical when I offer to hand deliver their pedal to their front room.

"He's such a lovely forum member" they'll say, not even realising that their Magnatone and Murphy Lab SG have disappeared. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2453
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

Every cloud...

Sounds like you have come out ahead...

List it again for more money and emphasis the upgraded valves.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    No video of the buzz, no receipt for the valves, fleas in the house… what’s next? My dog ate the amplifier and now he’s dead pls send full refund? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ddigger said:

Every cloud...

Not really, he still has the amp and my funds are frozen. 
  • allenallen Frets: 774
    edited September 2023
    I have had a couple of nutcase buyers on ebay in the past trying to get money back etc. I contacted ebay and they came down firmly in my favour on both occasions.

As long as you have followed their procedure and been clear/truthful in all of your communications I would expect you to win this one.

Edit: I am guessing that you don't have a history of disputes. And it is quite possible that this buyer does. Only ebay will know that, but I'm guessing that it helps them make a decision.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2453
    Ddigger said:

Every cloud...

Not really, he still has the amp and my funds are frozen. 
    Ahh!

Sorry.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited September 2023
    Erm... so he has fitted different valves and now there is a buzzing sound, sounds like a bad power tube the fact he has had it 3 weeks is bang out of order asking for a refund. Tell him to put the original tubes back in and see if the problem resloves itself.

i would get ebay involved and tell them he has messed with the item and its not as you sold it him and he has changed original parts and he is not an amp technician. He has admitted that he has changed the valves that will be in their message system so i think you will be covered in having it closed in your favour

The whole point of collection only is to try and avoid these kind of people who hide behind a keyboard who have buyers remorse and use the not as described bail out when its delivered to them

The fact he wont bring it back in person when he collected in person tells me he is also a coward. Is this person from Northampton by any chance and called Phil?  As i had a similar experience with a guy from that area and from what you have mentioned about knowing sod all of how that amp functions with the channels and he also abused the ebay system
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91
    edited September 2023
    If the Buyer collects, accepts the item and did the collection code (seller scans QR Code on Buyers phone), it's my understanding that's it. Buyer doesn't get money back protection. 

I would start a chat via the eBay app and ask them.
  • leerocker said:
    Erm... so he has fitted different valves and now there is a buzzing sound, sounds like a bad power tube the fact he has had it 3 weeks is bang out of order asking for a refund. Tell him to put the original tubes back in and see if the problem resloves itself.

i would get ebay involved and tell them he has messed with the item and its not as you sold it him, and has admitted that hes changed the valves that will be in their message system so i think you will be covered in having it closed in your favour

The whole point of collection only is to try and avoid these kind of people who hide behind a keyboard who have the buyers remorse and use the not as described bail out when its delivered to them

The fact he wont bring it back in person when he collected in person tells me he is also a coward. Is this person from Northampton by any chance and called Phil?  As i had a similar experience with a guy from that area and from what you have mentioned about knowing sod all of how that amp functions with the channels and he also abused the ebay system
    It’s not Phil, but sounds like a similar situation. I’ll clarify I’m not sure if he fitted new valves, I refused to pay for them and he said he cancelled the order 
  • I would tell him he needs to bring it back to yours and upon testing if their is a fault then you will refund him, 3 weeks down the line is a joke and he knows this probably as after a month ebay dont allow returns at all
  • leerocker said:
    I would tell him he needs to bring it back to yours and upon testing if their is a fault then you will refund him, 3 weeks down the line is a joke and he knows this probably as after a month ebay dont allow returns at all
    That’s where the fleas come in, he’s too busy to bring it to me and supposedly has fleas in his house so can only meet up 
  • Would it be unfair to out this guy's name here, or at least his ebay username?  Loads of us here sell on eBay as well and would benefit from avoiding people like Mr. Fleas over there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick update, I’ve sent a message to say to meet me part way and I’ll just take it. It’s an absolute joke but main priority is to get it back and not be out of pocket. No answer so far.