I went to see New Order on Friday

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
edited September 2023 in Music
I don't see many threads about gigs, but this was the first live show of any description I've been to for quite a few years so I felt inspired to, er... mention it.

I know New Order have been around forever but I've never followed the band so I only recognised about six songs (by either New Order or Joy Division), and to be honest I felt a bit detached from the show, but it was nice just to look around the O2 (my first visit, at least for a music event) and see the crowd.

New Order are not the most lively of bands... Gillian Morris, in particular, was almost motionless and expressionless for the entire show.  If it wasn't for the screens frequently showing her hands on the keyboard I'd have wondered if she was doing anything at all.  And I was surprised to see Bernard Sumner only plays guitar for about half the set, the rest of the time he wanders around being the least frontmannish frontman ever.

However, the bass and drums were good and loud, the light show and backing videos were entertaining, and whether I knew the songs or not, it was good to experience some live music again.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Still crazy after all these years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Philly_Q I'm curious what prompted you to go to see a band that you're not an avid fan of.

Going to see bands is not a cheap night out.
  • They’re decidedly average live, not least because the guy can barely sing in tune.
    The gig I saw them at was immortalised on a DVD….except for the song where Barney was singing the verses where the chorus should be and vice versa, studiously ignoring Hooky who was gesticulating wildly at the autocue to try and get him on track.

Quite like a lot of their stuff, but they’re not cut out to be a live band.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    You must've had True Faith to go and hear them, I didn't give it to Temptation. I'm glad you didn't Regret it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    relic245 said:
    @Philly_Q I'm curious what prompted you to go to see a band that you're not an avid fan of.

Going to see bands is not a cheap night out.
    It was a free night out. :)  

My firm has done their accounts and tax advice for many years, so my boss was given five guest tickets and brought her husband, me and two of my other colleagues.

So I couldn't really say no, really.  Although that's not strictly true, if it was a band/artist that didn't interest me at all, I wouldn't have gone.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11712
    They’re decidedly average live, not least because the guy can barely sing in tune.

edited October 2023
    They’re decidedly average live, not least because the guy can barely sing in tune.
    The gig I saw them at was immortalised on a DVD….except for the song where Barney was singing the verses where the chorus should be and vice versa, studiously ignoring Hooky who was gesticulating wildly at the autocue to try and get him on track.

I've definitely seen worse live shows.  Much worse.  True that Barney's not the greatest singer or frontman - when he was guitar-less I was constantly thinking it looked like the actor Phil Davis was wandering the stage - but again I've seen worse.

And actually the additional live musicians - bassist and guitarist/keyboard player, I'm afraid I don't know their names** - helped with the energy levels.  The songs without Barney's guitar were some of the better ones.  Although I have to say the bass player seemed to be either out of tune or in the wrong key on Blue Monday.

(**Edit: Tom Chapman and Phil Cunningham.  I have actually heard of them, I just didn't realise it was them!)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    How does it feel?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    prowla said:
    How does it feel?
    Warm like a dog 'round your feet

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:

I've definitely seen worse live shows.  Much worse.  True that Barney's not the greatest singer or frontman - when he was guitar-less I was constantly thinking it looked like the actor Phil Davis was wandering the stage - but again I've seen worse.

[RnRDave’s note: Not sure why it’s writing this inside the quoted area but hey]

Yeah, that’s why I said ‘average’, not atrocious.

[RnRDave’s note: Not sure why it’s writing this inside the quoted area but hey]

It just does that sometimes.... which is why I rarely post from my phone, because it's so much harder to edit! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Sumner has been on a hiding to nothing ever since he, Gretton, Hook and Morris jointly decided not to replace Ian Curtis with anyone from outside their immediate social clique. (Let's face it. Who could replace Curtis?) Hence, Gillian Gilbert being co-opted - initially to play guitar or keyboards whenever Sumner was vocalising.

Sumner's assumption of control of New Order is comparable to Roger Waters in post-Syd Pink Floyd. Somebody had to take the initiative. Later, cocaine-fuelled megalomania led both to imagine that they were the personification of their respective bands. 

The gory details are laid out in the autobiographies of Hook and Morris. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.