IGNORE....anyone near to Sparkwell Plymton area willing to help to set up trem unit on a cheap strat

pruddprudd Frets: 662
edited December 2023 in Help & Feedback
Hi all, a bit of a strange request, I recently sold a Vintage Reissue V6 strat to someone via Ebay in Sparkwell Devon PL7 5HX, near to Plympton.

this:
https://i.imgur.com/WZWoyHh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SZsEnq6.jpg

She loves the guitar but I sent it to her with the bridge locked down, just as my late brother had it set up. In hindsight I should have tweaked it to work with the supplied whammy bar before sending it. I have sent instructions to her but she is finding it all a bit complicated.

if there is someone local who would be willing and able to help her out it would be nice. I have not told her I am asking this question, just thought I'd see if there is anyone out there who could help, she might refuse the help of course, it would need to be a known and trusted FB member.

cheers, paul
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited October 2023
    My two penn'orth. Somebody fastened down the fulcrum vibrato on a budget Stratocaster type guitar for the very good reason that it could not be relied upon to return to its zero point.

Assuming that the Vintage V6 has a Wilkinson vibrato, those usually work very well. Thus, any tuning instability would be due to either the nut slots, the string guides or the way the strings are tied on around the tuner posts.

EDIT
    The new owner of the guitar could benefit by investing in a copy of the Dan Erlewine book, "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" ISBN-13: 978-0-87930-601-4
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 662
    Thanks @funkfingers , the issue is that my late brother, who's guitar it was, never used trems so used 4 springs and screwed the claw in. I am confident the trem will work fine, it's just that the lady who bought it has no idea on how to set it up. I have suggested some Youtube vids and given her a guide as to what she needs to do, but I just dont think she is confident enough to touch it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    I'm a long way NNW of the Plympton area … unless the guitar owner takes a half-term holiday in West Wales. 

Then again, why would anybody travel all that distance to visit scenery very similar to what they are surrounded by at home?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.