Anyone turned their Valves into Radiators??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Strikes me as a solution in need of a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Brilliant untill you see the price for ONE!
  • You'd need to keep your amplifier for a long time to get your money back in saved valves. Assuming of course that the product does what is claimed. Could well be snake oil ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

"Reduces thermal noise"

BOLLOX! A valve MUST run at a certain cathode temperature in order to work at all and in any case, most of the "noise" in valve circuits is the result of high value resistors.

Microphonics: Be wary of attaching "springy things" to valves. Can "ting" and rattle very audibly.

Dave.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    mrchi said:
    Brilliant untill you see the price for ONE!
    Those prices are nuts.... I think we're in the same ballpark as gold plated HDMI leads with this product.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I can imagine attaching a load of extra mass to the glass of a vacuum tube doing WONDERS for their longevity when being transported.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

With valve amplifiers being invented about a century ago, I'm surprised these weren't thought of long ago.

$527, or about 375 quid, to 'treat' my kit amp which originally cost about 200 quid to build (4 EL34s, 4 little valves). A fan would be cheaper and probably more efficient. Screening cans that are connected to the chassis will likely exclude electromagnetic interefernce better, and would also be much cheaper. Still, a fan and screening cans won't give that warm, fuzzy "I drank snake oil" feeling that you get with gold plated mains plugs and directional guitar leads. (Have directional guitar leads been invented yet?)

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    But how can you see the glorious innards working with that around it! :0) 

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Nomad said:

(Have directional guitar leads been invented yet?)

Planet Waves tried to foist them upon us a few years ago; it did not go down well. 'Specially as the jacks themselves were too big to fit properly into a Strat jack cutout :/
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    If they did make such a difference, with all the r and d the big amp companies do these would have been industry standard a long time ago.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    I think they would be a waste of money if used in a guitar amp.  But the DO work on valve hi-fi amps but these models are at the top end price wise.  But if you have dropped £5K+ on a valve amp for your hi-fi system, another £1K will elevate its performance considerably [there is no other comparable performance boost available for £1K].  If you have an Ongaku valve amp you can sit back and relax, it sounds magnificent as it is.  Simply keep your credit card in your wallet and enjoy the music....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Sounds to me like saying your tea tastes better if you sprinkle the sugar into the cup in a figure of 8 motion
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Valves were designed - by proper engineers who actually knew what they were doing with the technology, since it was state of the art at the time and many of them worked on the development of the technology itself as well as the models - for the correct performance at the stable operating temperature they reached in normal free-air conditions.

They do not need additional cooling unless they're in some sort of space which restricts the airflow, and then the only thing that will help is a fan, to replace hot air with cool air. If they're in a place which will cause them to overheat, it's because the ambient temperature has been allowed to rise, and so these things will make no difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Max_b3Max_b3 Frets: 5
    After 100yrs someone thinks we need these now?
  • I was going to say, they might take heat away briefly, but as soon as it's the same temperature as the valve (which won't take long, hold a finger against it and time how long it takes before your finger is the same temperature!) It's not doing anything really.

If they make money from it, it's just proof that people like pseudo science I reckon. Maybe it's because the air molecules can "remember" being cooler ;)
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

It'll be cryogenically cooled cathodes next...

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...