Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The ten most underrated drummers of all time

What's Hot

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2435
    edited October 2014
    joneve said:
    Any love for Simon Phillips? He's played drums for just about everyone, but the way in which he *physically* plays the drums is like no other drummer I've ever seen. He hits the skins SO DAMN HARD. 
    Lots of love for him here.  I don't think he's underrated in drumming circles though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Charlie Watts
    Ringo Starr

Neither of them remarkable technicians or metronomic timekeepers, which means many drummers dismiss them as mediocrities who were in the right place at the right time.  But in their prime both were able to come up with a string of simple, inventive ideas that really enhanced the records they played on.
    No they don't 

Non drummers tend to dismiss them, but most drummers I know rate Ringo. A lot of Beatles tracks have great drumming though often a shitty drum sound.

Similarly most non drummers tend to think Keith Moon was a legend whereas most drummers tend to think he was pretty shit.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    StefB said:
    joneve said:
    Any love for Simon Phillips? He's played drums for just about everyone, but the way in which he *physically* plays the drums is like no other drummer I've ever seen. He hits the skins SO DAMN HARD. 
    Lots of love for him here.  I don't think he's underrated in drumming circles though?
    Probably not, but I thought this was a general underrated drummers thread, not those that are underrated by other drummers. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4632
    edited October 2014
    Non drummers tend to dismiss them, but most drummers I know rate Ringo. A lot of Beatles tracks have great drumming though often a shitty drum sound.
    Good point about the drum sound being recorded badly, but each of his drum patterns is unique and highly recognisable on its own .. come together anyone.. smashing.

When John Lennon was asked "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?" he replied "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!" Paul's drumming on The Ballad of John and Yoko is sublime.

• jimmyd said:
    Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins - awesome!
    That's a good call.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tFB Trader
    jimmyd said:
    Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins - awesome!
    That's a good call.
    I wouldn't call him underrated, or certainly not amongst drummers.

He's been on the cover of most of the drum magazines and regularly does clinics and appears in best drummer polls etc.
  • What about Paul Kodish?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    What about Paul Kodish?
    That's a good call.

How about Luke Flowers

He's played on loads of great stuff, but isn't really known.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    I was gonna say Jimmy Chamberlin, guy's a monster. I like Brann Dailor from Mastodon. Then again I like really showy fill heavy drumming :op

I also like Stewart Copeland and Clem Burke.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Me
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    edited October 2014
    One thing that fucks me off is in drum solos why they spend 75% of their time doing rudiments and rolls on the snare. It makes me want to batter them about their head with their own snare drum. The least musical thing ive ever heard!!!!!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I'll put a shout in for Grant Hart (ex Husker Du). Really unique style and boy, could he pummel a kit!!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    edited October 2014
    Charlie Watts
    Ringo Starr

Neither of them remarkable technicians or metronomic timekeepers, which means many drummers dismiss them as mediocrities who were in the right place at the right time.  But in their prime both were able to come up with a string of simple, inventive ideas that really enhanced the records they played on.
    No they don't 

Similarly most non drummers tend to think Keith Moon was a legend whereas most drummers tend to think he was pretty shit.
    Yes they do.  At least the ones I know do.

To be fair I've seen a couple of "name" drummers big up Ringo in interviews.  But I can't remember a single drummer I've played with or know personally who rates him. 

In fact now that I'm thinking along these lines, it's dawned on me that most drummers I've played with over the years not only don't rate Ringo but but don't think much of The Beatles full stop. 

I even know a drummer who I would imagine earns a decent slice of his income playing  in a very good Beatles cover band who admits he doesn't like The Beatles and does it purely for the money.  
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Pick Withers from Dire Straits
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2435
    Rod Morgenstein.
  • bigjon said:
    Pick Withers from Dire Straits
    Never heard of him, but that's a great name! Even better if he was a fingerstyle guitarist...

• David Hackett
  • Reni of The Stone Roses usually gets forgotten but he truly is pretty awesome.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    DrJazzTap;383428" said:
    I was gonna say Jimmy Chamberlin, guy's a monster. I like Brann Dailor from Mastodon. Then again I like really showy fill heavy drumming :op

I also like Stewart Copeland and Clem Burke.
    Brann Dailor is hardly underrated. Everyone rates him. Ditto Copeland.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Me

Who was it that said your drumming was better than your guitar playing?