Sam Fender

What's Hot
I know he's two albums deep and pretty successful - but I'd never really paid attention. Dismissing his music as comparatively bland. For some reason I paid attention to the lyrics in 17 going under when I heard it on the radio this morning. It's actually a beautiful and potent song. I've been digging round in his music since and there is a lot of powerful songwriting - particularly for young, working class lads. 

I am still not sure the music is particularly interesting - but he clearly knows his way round a vocal melody and meaningful lyric. 

Any fans?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Yes, quite a big fan here.

I think he is almost like a British Springsteen in the making.  I'm not sure what would make him more musically interesting, he's certainly not Radiohead, but he's a genuine honest voice of the common man which we haven't had for a long while.

Along with Wolf Alice, probably genuinely the best mainstream rock act of the last ten years.

Like a lot of great 90s acts he is happily pissing away excellent tracks as extras or b-sides between albums.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, quite a big fan here.

I think he is almost like a British Springsteen in the making.  I'm not sure what would make him more musically interesting, he's certainly not Radiohead, but he's a genuine honest voice of the common man which we haven't had for a long while.

Along with Wolf Alice, probably genuinely the best mainstream rock act of the last ten years.

Like a lot of great 90s acts he is happily pissing away excellent tracks as extras or b-sides between albums.

That's really interesting @darthed1981 - Wolf Alice are one of the few other 'indie/guitar' acts of recent years that I've enjoyed. 

Any extras/B-sides you'd recommend? I've got none of his stuff - but defientely going to download something this evening.

I take your point about him being a genuine honest voice - that seems to be the appeal - and it seems needed now more than ever...... it's quite a responsibility for him to take on so I really wish him all the best. Is that where the Springsteen comparison comes from? I don't know anything about 'the Boss' - never listened to his stuff - but maybe I should if it's like Fender?

I am not a Radiohead fan either lol - I don't think his songs would suit a more 'muso' type of music a-la the Head'...... I guess he makes sure the music doesn't get in the way of song/melody - it's certainly working for him...... and it will be interesting to see where he goes as his career develops over the coming years/albums.....I can virtually hear the gospel choir coming and I am here for it. 

Were you a big Britpop man @darthed1981? ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Genuine fan here, and yes the lyrics in Seventeen going under, particularly that third verse are up there with anything 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited October 2023
    We cover 17 Going Under with one of my bands…it’s a great song.
  • dindude said:
    Genuine fan here, and yes the lyrics in Seventeen going under, particularly that third verse are up there with anything 
    I feel silly for dismissing him/not paying attention - though in fairness assuming something on Radio 1 Sid likely to dispensable pap is a pretty safe bet normally lol. 

I an a fan of the Trojan horse approach - when something of significance, perhaps something a little dark or something that stands in defiance of the prevailing mindlessness sneaks into the classrooms, work places and bedrooms of the nation under the guise of a sugary pop song - I remember when that Arcade Fire song 'everything now' was blaring out of every car and kitchen, sounding like a slightly wobbly Abba while actually declaring the soullessness of consumerism through the medium of a kids choir.... genuinely subversive. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Yep I was a slow starter with him but he's one of the UK's very best right now.

As for the Springsteen comparison, his stuff has sax and glockenspiel and is largely songs about the plight of regular folk - huge parallels. And he doesn't come off badly in that comparison, which really says something. 

Seems like a really good bloke too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    That's really interesting @darthed1981 - Wolf Alice are one of the few other 'indie/guitar' acts of recent years that I've enjoyed. 

Any extras/B-sides you'd recommend? I've got none of his stuff - but defientely going to download something this evening.

I take your point about him being a genuine honest voice - that seems to be the appeal - and it seems needed now more than ever...... it's quite a responsibility for him to take on so I really wish him all the best. Is that where the Springsteen comparison comes from? I don't know anything about 'the Boss' - never listened to his stuff - but maybe I should if it's like Fender?

I am not a Radiohead fan either lol - I don't think his songs would suit a more 'muso' type of music a-la the Head'...... I guess he makes sure the music doesn't get in the way of song/melody - it's certainly working for him...... and it will be interesting to see where he goes as his career develops over the coming years/albums.....I can virtually hear the gospel choir coming and I am here for it. 

Live favourite "Howdon Aldi Death Queue" is a fantastic tune and one of the best songs about the Covid nightmare released to date. "Poundshop Kardashians" is a good one as well.

I agree I'm really excited for where he goes next.  He has a great band he plays with and is a great musician himself, he can do a lot more.

And yes... I was a huge Britpop fan, or generally the British rock boom of the 90s, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, Blur, Manics, Radiohead etc etc...

• Rowby1 said:
    I can imagine that going over well - one to get people singing along to

• Yep I was a slow starter with him but he's one of the UK's very best right now.

As for the Springsteen comparison, his stuff has sax and glockenspiel and is largely songs about the plight of regular folk - huge parallels. And he doesn't come off badly in that comparison, which really says something. 

Seems like a really good bloke too. 
    yeah - as I've been looking into his stuff this morning (and working of course lol) I found a documentary......he does seem like a good lad - with an good, honest message that seems to come from the heart...... It makes me think how many of todays pop stars are from privileged backgrounds 
    To add to my post - best bit of SF product is the "Deluxe Live" edition of his second album - got a lot of extra tracks and a bonus CD of an epic gig.  His first album is really damn good as well.

Just put him on Spotify on shuffle and it's just played "Leave Fast" off his debut - what a fucking choon!
  • That's really interesting @darthed1981 - Wolf Alice are one of the few other 'indie/guitar' acts of recent years that I've enjoyed. 

Live favourite "Howdon Aldi Death Queue" is a fantastic tune and one of the best songs about the Covid nightmare released to date. "Poundshop Kardashians" is a good one as well.

I agree I'm really excited for where he goes next.  He has a great band he plays with and is a great musician himself, he can do a lot more.

And yes... I was a huge Britpop fan, or generally the British rock boom of the 90s, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, Blur, Manics, Radiohead etc etc...

Thanks @darthed1981 - I'll have a look for those songs.......  with titles like that you can't really go wrong lol......

I was a big britpop fan too - I was 10 in 1990, 15 in 95 etc. I picked up a guitar after hearing Oasis in 93/94..... before then it seemed musicians had to be troubled souls like Nirvana and wear terrible clothes bought from the Army and Navy surplus store..... Oasis made it seem ok to have decent trainers and still be into football etc

Britpop was a springboard into all sorts of music for me - there was so much good stuff coming out in the 90's in all sorts of genres. I did get some terrible Britpop records too though - I remember early singles by Marion, Northen Uproar and Menswear being particularly terrible lol 

I was a big britpop fan too - I was 10 in 1990, 15 in 95 etc. I picked up a guitar after hearing Oasis in 93/94..... before then it seemed musicians had to be troubled souls like Nirvana and wear terrible clothes bought from the Army and Navy surplus store..... Oasis made it seem ok to have decent trainers and still be into football etc
    The thing I'll always remember about Britpop, and it's a reason I love Sam Fender and Wolf Alice as well, is that it/they celebrated the mundanity of everyday life.  WA found depth and romance in a weekend on the beer, Sam Fender finds something triumphant in realising the ordinary person is powerless with hopelessly removed leaders pointing hypersonic missiles at each other.

Noel G sat down and wrote "Live Forever" after he heard the Nirvana B-side "I hate myself and I want to die" because he said "I spent my youth with fuck all getting the shit beat out of me by my Dad and I don't hate myself or want to die, and I don't want kids feeling that way".  That sums up my attitude to what popular music should be so well that (and though I do love Nirvana at their best) I'll always love him for that.

• I was a big britpop fan too - I was 10 in 1990, 15 in 95 etc. I picked up a guitar after hearing Oasis in 93/94..... before then it seemed musicians had to be troubled souls like Nirvana and wear terrible clothes bought from the Army and Navy surplus store..... Oasis made it seem ok to have decent trainers and still be into football etc
    The thing I'll always remember about Britpop, and it's a reason I love Sam Fender and Wolf Alice as well, is that it/they celebrated the mundanity of everyday life.  WA found depth and romance in a weekend on the beer, Sam Fender finds something triumphant in realising the ordinary person is powerless with hopelessly removed leaders pointing hypersonic missiles at each other.

Noel G sat down and wrote "Live Forever" after he heard the Nirvana B-side "I hate myself and I want to die" because he said "I spent my youth with fuck all getting the shit beat out of me by my Dad and I don't hate myself or want to die, and I don't want kids feeling that way".  That sums up my attitude to what popular music should be so well that (and though I do love Nirvana at their best) I'll always love him for that.
    That's really interesting - I didn't know that about Noel G/Live Forever - but it really chimes with me. Thats really how I got into his stuff. I had Definitely Maybe on tape and used to listen to it endlessly on a Sony walkman I stole from my older brother lol.....I after school it was a 45 minute bike ride to the place my mates hung round/played football and then 45 mintues back.... with that album playing all the way - there is nothing like those first records you get into - I know every little noise and inflection on it........I am from a small town in North Wales - not a cultural capital lol - but I felt pretty pleased with myself being the first to turn up with one of those black Oasis T-shirts with the logo/writting in White...... I didn't know how to find other records that I'd like - so I'd get the bus to the next big town - that had a HMV and Virgin - and I bought records that had Creation written on them as well - I am not sure I even knew it was the record label at the time - how lucky was I!!! Some of the first records I bought were Screamadlica (my favourite album of all time!) and Loveless..... less enjoyable were 3 colours red, toaster and 18 wheeler lol....... I found the NME shortly after

Was Britpop your first thing? 
    That's really interesting - I didn't know that about Noel G/Live Forever - but it really chimes with me. Thats really how I got into his stuff. I had Definitely Maybe on tape and used to listen to it endlessly on a Sony walkman I stole from my older brother lol.....I after school it was a 45 minute bike ride to the place my mates hung round/played football and then 45 mintues back.... with that album playing all the way - there is nothing like those first records you get into - I know every little noise and inflection on it........I am from a small town in North Wales - not a cultural capital lol - but I felt pretty pleased with myself being the first to turn up with one of those black Oasis T-shirts with the logo/writting in White...... I didn't know how to find other records that I'd like - so I'd get the bus to the next big town - that had a HMV and Virgin - and I bought records that had Creation written on them as well - I am not sure I even knew it was the record label at the time - how lucky was I!!! Some of the first records I bought were Screamadlica (my favourite album of all time!) and Loveless..... less enjoyable were 3 colours red, toaster and 18 wheeler lol....... I found the NME shortly after

Was Britpop your first thing? 
    Oh yeah completely agree - the first records you love, in the past when you are young and you don't have hundreds of albums but a few, the ones that get under your skin as a teen - they just stay with you in a way that nothing else can.  

Britpop was definitely my first thing, WTSMG was the first album I bought, DM the second!  Coming Up by Suede, Different Class by Pulp, Great Escape by Blur and All Change by Cast were early purchases.
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 981
    edited October 2023

Oh yeah completely agree - the first records you love, in the past when you are young and you don't have hundreds of albums but a few, the ones that get under your skin as a teen - they just stay with you in a way that nothing else can.  

Britpop was definitely my first thing, WTSMG was the first album I bought, DM the second!  Coming Up by Suede, Different Class by Pulp, Great Escape by Blur and All Change by Cast were early purchases.
    Totally - those first records (even if they aren't great records) are all consuming aren't they...... I feel like we were lucky to have something that was 'ours'...... it seems to me that movements like that are really dying out there have only been a few after Britpop really.......

Suede were one of the few britpop bands I didn't get into..... there was a huge range of styles under the banner of britpop, also lots of other incredible music coming out in different genres - Apex Twin, Dummy by Portishead,  Leftism by Leftfield, Brand New Secondhand by Roots Manuva, New Forms by Roni Size.... all seminal records in their genre released over the span of 3 years - 

I wonder if I am looking back through rose tinted glasses or if. I am biased or if there are records as diverse and good as those all the time but I am just not aware of them

Totally - those first records (even if they aren't great records) are all consuming aren't they...... I feel like we were lucky to have something that was 'ours'...... it seems to me that movements like that are really dying out there have only been a few after Britpop really.......

Suede were one of the few britpop bands I didn't get into..... there was a huge range of styles under the banner of britpop, also lots of other incredible music coming out in different genres - Apex Twin, Dummy by Portishead,  Leftism by Leftfield, Brand New Secondhand by Roots Manuva, New Forms by Roni Size.... all seminal records in their genre released over the span of 3 years - 

I wonder if I am looking back through rose tinted glasses or if. I am biased or if there are records as diverse and good as those all the time but I am just not aware of them
    I to this day think they ARE great records, but no matter when one grew up, it will be those records that you secretly always love.

There hasn't been a "movement" since Britpop, you have seen individual guitar acts break through big, like Arctic Monkeys, or indeed Wolf alice and Sam Fender, but never multiple guitar bands dominating the charts at once.  I honestly doubt with the industry changing as it has if you could have another Britpop.

I agree as well, beyond the "big four" Britpop bought us huge swaths of other "associated" great music.  No 90s Britpop compilation is complete without the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Garbage, Sneaker Pimps and even Prog made a comeback... Mansun, Ultrasound etc...

Nostalgia aint what it used to be! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Rowby1 said:
    I can imagine that going over well - one to get people singing along to
    Yes, that shout along “whoa” line is a winner! :) It is lyrically great and the light/shade dynamics thing too. I love playing it and it always gets a great reaction. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    edited October 2023
    Hes ace. Saw him live a few times 5 years or so ago (dead Boys era) and whilst his second record is pretty bland pop musically, but his debut (Hypersonic Missiles) is a modern classic. He knows how to write lyrics. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    A couple of years ago someone in the band suggested that we play hypersonic missiles. I'd never heard it and dismissed it as a bit of a pop song. 

After we'd played it a few times I got a whole new respect for it. 

It's a great song to play and there are almost aways a few people who go wild when we start to play it. 

We're doing 6 songs on an internet radio show on saturday and that got picked from the 40 or so that we know. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom