My Korean-Indie slot of the week

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6197
    edited December 2013

This week I present one of my favourite Korean indie singer/song-writers; Park Sae Byul  박새별 .
    Pronounced Paahk (박)  Say (새) Byul (별)

She is an excellent writer and arranger too and many of her jazzy productions would make Quincy Jones proud.
    On her albums she sings all the vocal parts, but in this studio performance she has enlisted the help of a K-Pop band 'Super Junior' to help with the vocals. This is smooth listening so metal-heads should stay away, but others may appreciate the sheer musicality of her performance here.

I have also included below the first track of her new album 'High Heel'. This track shows just how talented she really is.. and you can definitely here a Pat Metheny influence in the song's construction.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • She really is *very* good.
    Thanks equalsql, fantastic find, really enjoyed both tracks   :)

Thanks for the comments Chris.. good to see the appreciation  :D

This week's outing is from my favourite K-Indie group: Lucite Tokki 루싸이트 토끼 
    Pronounced ( 루 Lu  싸 Sah   이 i .. as in 'it' ,  트  Too    토Toh  끼 Ki (as in kit)   'Tokki' is the Korean word for 'rabbit'.

They are a Seoul based duo whose members are singer Ye Jin Cho and guitarist Sun Young Kim. They have a strong following in the capital and really define what K-Indie 'is'. They have released three albums, the first two in their native language and the most recent in English, however it is the first two Korean albums that really stand out.

The first track is from the 2nd album ''a little sparkle' is called 'For Me'. This is a wonderfully gentle and dreamy track that is deftly executed and is stunning in its delivery. One of my all-time favourite tracks by any artist. The moment when the 12 string guitar comes in at the start to the 2nd verse is just superb. A song to shut your eyes and turn up the headphones on to  really appreciate.

The second track shows the pair playing to a small audience at a coffee-house in Seoul, this venue being very popular for K-Indies artists. This song is called 12 Months and is from their first album 'twinkle twinkle' and again is a simple but perfectly executed song.

Today on this Christmas Eve  I present the Korean Indie band: Small O (스몰오)  (pronounced:  스 Suh   몰 Moll   오 Oh).
    The band mixes acoustic and electric elements to create a modern but folk soundscape.
    Three member of the band also play in the K-Indie rock band 'Eastern Sidekick' that I have presented earlier in this thread.

This track is titled: 'That Will Fall':

Additionally as tomorrow is Christmas Day I thought it would be fun to add the following delightful seasonal performance from J.Rabbit. A Merry Christmas to you all  :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    equalsql said:

Today on this Christmas Eve  I present the Korean Indie band: Small O (스몰오)  (pronounced:  스 Suh   몰 Moll   오 Oh).
    The band mixes acoustic and electric elements to create a modern but folk soundscape.
    Three member of the band also play in the K-Indie rock band 'Eastern Sidekick' that I have presented earlier in this thread.

This track is titled: 'That Will Fall':

I like that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Great music as always.
    I even enjoyed the charming seasonal J Rabbit, bah humbug !
    Merry Christmas equalsql.
    And to all on tFB too...

Keep up the good work with this thread, very pleasant discoveries and a good antidote to every day life, thanks  
    :)

After the Christmas sabbatical, I return this week to present a song by an Indie singer called Han Hui-Jeong 한희정
    [ in Hangul:  한  (Han)   희 (Hui)   정 (Jong)] 

Hui-Jeong was the singer for a Korean indie band called 'Bluedawn' who has some hits in he early 2000s but split up in 2008, so this is a solo outing from her at about this time. A classic korean acoustic indie style song called 'Our First Date'. So chill out and enjoy 

:)

Additionally this week I would like to include an acoustic guitar song that I discovered this week called 'Waiting' which is sung by an Korean artist called Younha 윤하  (  윤 - Yun   하 - Ha).  She is mainly a pop artist but this is an stripped back version of one of her songs which is played and sung with the deftest of touch. Essential listening to any acoustic players out there.

This weeks outing is a performance by K-Indie artist Kim Ga Eun  김가은   ( 김 - Kim   가  - k/ga    은 Unn)

She released her first album called 'The First Fruit' 미리듣기 (which directly translates as 'pre-listening') in late 2012 and has has some moderate success in Korea.
    This in an outdoor recording of her song:  Clementine: 

equalsql said:
    This weeks outing is a performance by K-Indie artist Kim Ga Eun  김가은   ( 김 - Kim   가  - k/ga    은 Unn)

She released her first album called 'The First Fruit' 미리듣기 (which directly translates as 'pre-listening') in late 2012 and has has some moderate success in Korea.
    This in an outdoor recording of her song:  Clementine

I like that - it's a bit rougher than some of the other stuff and comes across as more emotional, even though it's also still quite gentle. The cello and the outdoor vibe really works too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2014
    This week I am throwing a 'curve-ball' into this thread thanks to my daughter's enthusiasm for Korean pop music. The following video is a world away from the usual fare, being it is a pop-dance track however the 'flashmob' approach to the video and the sheer exuberance and dance-effort put in by the singers is impressive. (My daughter has been trying to learn the dance and can attest to it being punishing).

It helps that the track is infectious without being dumbed-down musically and the end effect shown here makes for enjoyable viewing.

The track is called 'Like This'  by K-Pop  group 'The Wonder Girls' and was a massive hit across Asia when released.
    I hope you find it as entertaining as my daughter and I do...

edited February 2014

Today's two tracks are from  Korean Indie soft-rock band 'Dear Cloud' 디어 클라우드  
    (Pronounced   디 Di   어 Ao   클 Kuul   라 La   우 Uh   드 Du) . 
    They've started out in the Hongae area of Seoul back in 2007 and have release four albums in that time.
    The group is composed of 3 girls and 2 guys with singer 'Nine9' heading up on vocals and rhythm guitar.
    They are one of the few Korean groups of this genre who seem to have found the balance right where the songs are very melodic but not sickly sweet or dour.. 

The first track is called '나에게만 너를 말해주기를' which roughly translates as 'I Only Tell You' and is from their debut album.
    The second track shows the band  performing their single 'Polaris' which was released last year.

This week features Korean singer Park Ji Yoon (박지윤) -  박 Paak  지 Ji   윤 Yuun and is a simply recorded vocal and guitar piece called 그대는 나무 같아 literally "You are like a tree" meaning to be stable or dependable. 

The recording is open mic and you can hear the sounds on the street outside the cafe. Simple and spacious...one on my favourite attributes of Korean acoustic Indie.

And while I'm in a Park Ji Yoon mood...and thinking of hopefully a warm summer to come

equalsql said:
    This week I am throwing a 'curve-ball' into this thread thanks to my daughter's enthusiasm for Korean pop music. The following video is a world away from the usual fare, being it is a pop-dance track however the 'flashmob' approach to the video and the sheer exuberance and dance-effort put in by the singers is impressive. (My daughter has been trying to learn the dance and can attest to it being punishing).

It helps that the track is infectious without being dumbed-down musically and the end effect shown here makes for enjoyable viewing.

The track is called 'Like This'  by K-Pop  group 'The Wonder Girls' and was a massive hit across Asia when released.
    I hope you find it as entertaining as my daughter and I do...
    I quite like the song (very Destiny's Child) but the camerawork literally made me feel ill… I had to roll up the page so I could listen without watching.
    equalsql said:

Today's two tracks are from  Korean Indie soft-rock band 'Dear Cloud' 디어 클라우드  
    (Pronounced   디 Di   어 Ao   클 Kuul   라 La   우 Uh   드 Du) . 
    They've started out in the Hongae area of Seoul back in 2007 and have release four albums in that time.
    The group is composed of 3 girls and 2 guys with singer 'Nine9' heading up on vocals and rhythm guitar.
    They are one of the few Korean groups of this genre who seem to have found the balance right where the songs are very melodic but not sickly sweet or dour.. 

The first track is called '나에게만 너를 말해주기를' which roughly translates as 'I Only Tell You' and is from their debut album.
    The second track shows the band  performing their single 'Polaris' which was released last year.

I like those a lot. The first one I thought was going to be too bland at first (as I'm afraid I find a lot of these), but is actually very good when it builds - quite Sarah McLachlan-like.

The second one is brilliant - I know I do tend to like the rockier stuff anyway, but that comes close to Eastern Sidekick for my favourite on this thread so far. Great drummer.

I like the ambient sound in the Park Ji Yoon stuff too.

Today I present an Indie band/duo called 'The Peppertones' 페퍼톤스
    pronounced Pae  페  Pue  퍼   톤 Tonn  스 Su.
    The due consists of guitarist and programmer Shin JaePyung  (신재평)  신  Sin  재  Jae  평  Pyung
    and bassist Lee JangWon  (이장원)   이  'I' as in 'it'  장  Jang   원  Won 

This track is called 노래는 불빛처럼 달린다 which translates direclty as "The song is like a light run" or known as 'Open Run'

The song has a really nice repeating guitar line that underpins the whole thing...
    I think this is great upbeat pop song..

edited March 2014
    This week is the turn of the OST's (Original Sound Tracks). These are a popular music form in Korea being soundtracks and themes for the myriad of Korean drama's (Hallyu) that have become a major export for the country into the East-Asian market.

The following track is called 'Thorn Flower' ( 가시꽃)  and is sung by Jung Yeop of 'Brown Eyed Soul'. The song being the theme to the Korean Drama 'Bad Guy' a dark tale of revenge and it's futility. There is some nice acoustic guitar work in the track and the simple production helps to add a melancholy flavour to the piece and borrows heavily from Korean Indie acoustic.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Only just found this thread..so playing catch-up, but about half way thru and really enjoying it... You are my replacement John Peel :)

edited March 2014
    JookyChap said:
    Only just found this thread..so playing catch-up, but about half way thru and really enjoying it... You are my replacement John Peel :)
      Thanks old bean. I've been getting some good comments from  @ICBM and @ChrisMusic on here so it nice to see musicians with an ear for something a bit different visiting this thread :) 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    No worries (though musician is pushing it in this direction ;) )