Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is a superstrat? (NGD)

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
And do I have one now? 

Backstory: I got myself a lovely MiM Fender Stratocaster a couple of weeks ago. It has essentially obsoleted my Squier, so I didn’t hesitate when a mate offered to trade the Squier for his Ibanez AZES40, which he defined as a superstrat. Here it is: 

So in essence it’s a HSS guitar with the socket on the side (love it), a very fast neck, and a cool switching system that does roughly what I got the Squier to do before trading it. It puts some pickups in series, does weird combinations, etc. 

It doesn’t particularly sound stratty. It sounds bold and hot, and plays great, so it is believably super at least. 

But is it a superstrat? What the heck is a superstrat? 

Discuss. 

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    To my mind a Superstrat is any guitar based on the classic Fender Stratocaster design with modifications intended to be "improvements" over the vintage spec.

That could be a more modern bridge, HSS or other pickup config, pointy horns/headstock, flatter radius, bigger frets, different control layout, active electrics, locking tuners/nut/bridge etc etc etc...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Yeah, I think it's a superstrat.  Edward Van Halen was using a Strat with a humbucker and a traditional trem before he got a Floyd Rose.  Jake E. Lee was using an HSS Strat with a hardtail bridge.  They were definitely superstrats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Thought this might help ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstrat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMHO a Superstrat has to be Strat shaped with a floyd and at least one humbucker, no Floyd no then not a Superstrat..
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    To me, a “Superstrat” needs a bridge humbucker and Floyd/schaller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Two cutaways with an extra deep one on the treble side, humbucker bridge and high output pickups is the minimum 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox

I can point to a guitar at either extreme and say it's definitely a Strat or definitely a Superstrat, but I'm not sure exactly where one turns into the other!
  • Congratulations it looks very nice & technically qualifies as a superstrat 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That's cool. For me a superstrat doesn't need a locking trem. A two point with locking keys is enough. Flat or compound radius with big frets. And a full size humbucker in the bridge
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    I don't think a Floyd is important. My instinct is is that a bridge hum bucker and any other modernisation is what gets you there - big frets, flatter boards, garish colours, locking bits, no pickguard, etc.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    I’m a child of the 80s, A superstrat has to have a Floyd, and preferably an airbrushed image of a Barbarian waving a sword and standing on a pile of skulls.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    Forgot to say: nice guitar! Ibanez do good stuff.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    edited October 2023
    In my head a superstar usually has a locking trem. Maybe a HSS with a more modern body shape might qualify too (or without a pickguard).

To my mind the guitar in the OP is a fat strat. Looks very nice too.
  • Think all of my guitars are superstrats, and one is a hardtail - so I don't think a Floyd is a must. Congrats on your new superstrat! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2954
    Of course, it's an ill defined term, and yes your new Strat can easily fit within it, though clearly not for some folks! (Happy HGD by the way, like the colour).

My first Strat was a Fender Contemporary Strat in the mid 80s (as was my second one). HSS, locking trem, two controls (TBX), side mounted jack, and intended as Fender's answer to the SuperStrats from their rivals. Now, looking back, I can't believe it then took me another 30 years to own a non-super Strat!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    I used to have a 1980s Fender HM Strat ... which I take as my definition of a Superstrat:
    BIG frets, Floyd Rose, side mounted jack, HSS (though HsH and HH are also Superstrat spec guitars), and most often no scratch-plate (Ibanez being an exception to that). .

I would call the OPs Strat (which is lovely by the way) a HB equipped Strat with a vintage trem. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    Might sound like a non sequitur, but I think a Tele-shaped guitar can be a superstrat.  I have two, and that's how I perceive them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    So… if you can get superstrats, then why not superteles, superlespauls, etc?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1463
    edited October 2023
    Superstrats are just really good Strats. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3753
    edited October 2023
    I’ve had a few shitstrats. 

Not sure a humbucker alone qualifies it. Nice though. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom