2 x 12 Cab question

What's Hot
guitarajguitaraj Frets: 62
I've got a THD 2 x 12 cab which I'd like to press back into service now I've got a KHE head/cab switcher. Does anyone know how I'd go about converting the cab so that the speakers are independent of each other and have their own inputs? Is this a fairly normal thing to do? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Also, if anyone can recommend which valves I could put in a THD Univalve in order to get it to approximate a Vox tone I'd really appreciate the input. Cheers all!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    It's fairly common - you just need two separate jacks. This may be easy to do if the jack is mounted through a plate which is large enough to have another hole drilled, or more difficult if it needs woodwork to get to there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Super. Thank you!
  • jackiojackio Frets: 147
    My THD 2x12 cab already has 2 input jacks. Does yours? If so, no drilling needed, just a soldering iron and a few minutes work. Remember impedance...

As for Vox tones...hmmm. Not sure I can help but there was a reasonably useful website for THD which might still be around. They do sell a converter allowing you to put an EL84 in which is the valve in the AC30. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @jackio - it does have two input jacks so I’m in luck I think! 
    Is that the yellowjacket converter? 
    Yes that is it, yellowjacket.
  • @jackio thanks, I’ll see if I can source one of those. Much appreciated
    guitaraj said:
    @jackio thanks, I’ll see if I can source one of those. Much appreciated
    You are welcome.
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 62
    A small update in case anyone wants to do this and doesn’t fancy going down the solder route - Designacable made me two nice little cables with jack sockets on one end and spade connectors on the other end for an easy time when changing speakers…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom