New strings and their impact

What's Hot
I'll be fitting new strings on my acoustic in the next few days and it's got me wondering if it will have a noticeably more impactful effect on sound, tone, feel than when I change strings on an electric?

Off the cuff I'd say yes, based on my experience with my 1979 EKON acoustic but I don't really know if I've imagined it or not.

What has been your experience? What insights/thoughts do you have?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7648
    edited October 2023
    In my experience putting new strings on an electric is much less noticeable in sound and feel than new strings on an acoustic, but it all depends how old and grubby the existing strings were before they were removed for the new ones.  I generally don't like the excessively bright zinginess from new acoustic strings and I prefer them after a couple of days of being played a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot he said.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5614
    New strings certainly transform an acoustic.

I can't really compare to electric as I haven't played electric more than casually  - and even then mostly not on my own guitars - since back when I sold my Les Paul sometime in the early 1980s. In those days, electric strings were something you changed when at least one of them was broken - and even then, you mostly scratched around and found a used string roughly the right size and just replaced that one. 

I did change my acoustic strings regularly, certainly on the 12-strings. (Not so sure about the 6 string instruments.) On a 12, once strings start to lose the ability to stay in tune properly, the thing becomes unplayable. With a six you can usually make do. 

Back then we used to think about paying $5.95 for a set of strings the way, these days, we think about paying $3000 for the council rates. Hell, a Big Mac was 75c and a tram or train ticket from one side of town to the other was about the same. Finding nearly $6 for strings was serious stuff! (Just the same, I used to grit my teeth and find almost $10 for a new set of 12 Mari or La Bella silk and steel strings about twice a year.)

Um ... what was the question? Oh yes. I agree with what Bill said. 
  • I LOVE the sound of new strings and used to change regularly. However, they cost a fortune now, especially if you have many guitars. So I can now go 6-12 months without changing if using a good set. Thank heavens acoustic strings seem to snap less than electric.
  • I too love the sound of a new set of strings, hate dead sounding strings, they just don't feel nice to play. With a few guitars in my collection unfortunately it means a lot of string gauges and packs so can get costly. Some guitars get more use than others though so they need restringing more often.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I hate the initial zingyness, love the following piano like tones which seem to fade away until the next change. I go about 6 months on my acoustics but would probably enjoy them more if it was monthly but time, money etc...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • New strings on an acoustic exaggerate the tone, new strings on an electric just feel better
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 875
    Well said @maltingsaudio I think that's I believe too ... just couldn't articulate it :anguished: 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10515
    New strings on an acoustic tend to be a bit bright and lively at first, especially for recording. One trick I was told was to over pitch the strings a tone and then go back. That calms them down a bit. 

I change electric strings every 4 or gigs or so they are generally always in good condition. Once a string has a load of dents under it from the frets it won't really ontonate properly anymore so you don't have a lot of choice but to change it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    I don't like the new string zing and prefer them acoustically once they are played in a bit.

However, for plugged in use live, brand new ones seem to work better with the pickups I have.