The Dance Of Life. A great example of late 70s jazz fusion guitar playing.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
edited October 2023 in Music
Such a wonderful track By Narada Michael Walden with guitarist Corrado "Pat" Rustici absolutely knocking it out the park.
An incredible player.
I've always found this track so inspiring. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    Holy damn - I love this tune and didn’t know what it was.  Back in 1990 it was on a skating video H-Street’s Hokus Pokus.  The entire soundtrack was brilliant but this song stood out due the amazing technical skill.  
    Thanks for sharing this - properly made my day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    joeW said:
    Holy damn - I love this tune and didn’t know what it was.  Back in 1990 it was on a skating video H-Street’s Hokus Pokus.  The entire soundtrack was brilliant but this song stood out due the amazing technical skill.  
    Thanks for sharing this - properly made my day. 
    I only discovered it when my brother bought Narada Michael Walden's disco song "I Shoulda Loved Ya" back in 79. I hated disco at the time but was blown away by this track when he put the b-side of the single on. Couldn't believe it was the same artist.  :) 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Fantastic love that, the beginning motif/Riff may have inspired “the first picture of you” either way both fantastic tracks and NMW’s drumming is off the scale, he didn’t/doesn’t get the respect he should have.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2023
    Oh man. I have that on 45 and what a track and playing and like you, I discovered it on the back of 'I shoulda loved you'
    @equalsql - going by this and your other posts in the past, we have very similar tastes in music and guitar players

Although NMW went down the commercial route and produced R n' B artists, people forget that he's an incredible drummer and his legacy.

Here's an article which mentions who was at the University of Miami when he was studying there - Steve Morse and some of the other Dixie Dregs guys, Jaco Pastorious, Will Lee, Hiram Bullock, Pat Metheny and he was also on Journey's last tour as one of their 2 drummers.

Cheers for reminding me of this one

Edit: looking at his Wiki page, he would've been 22 when he recorded this.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Corrado `Rustici is a monster player, well worth checking out  
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    duotone said:
    Thanks @duotone thats it - basically my (wasted)  years as a youth.  Man that’s a proper blast from the past. Love it.  Might even have a go a lot transcribing it, but it sounds really technical 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2023
    Other guitarists from that period that had a fusion-edge and aren't household names are Carlos Rios - listen to Gino Vanelli's 'Brother to Brother' album and he went on to be Lionel Richie's guitarist.

Jorge Strunz of the band Caldera and later of acoustic duo Strunz and Farah is closer in style to Rustici on this track.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Other guitarists from that period that had a fusion-edge and aren't household names are Carlos Rios - listen to Gino Vanelli's 'Brother to Brother' album and he went on to be Lionel Richie's guitarist.

Jorge Strunz of the band Caldera and later of acoustic duo Strunz and Farah is closer in style to Rustici on this track.
    Rios has more than an "edge" of fusion - he was on Chick Corea's Elektric Band album (sharing the guitar spot with Scott Henderson). He's more known for his session work, but he has appeared on a few "proper" fusion recordings too.