Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone gigging with a 1x12 combo ??! Thinking of downsizing.

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
As much as I love my orange 1/2 stack, I have been tempted to downsize . I'm currently tempted to get a 1x12 Marshall 50 watt combo I was wondering if anyone else on here had done anything similar or had any thoughts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have just gone down to a 1x12 Marshall Jubilee - it undoubtedly sound boxier than a bigger cab but it still sounds huge and awesome. To me it is very amp specific - the 1x12 Marshall sounds bigger than any other 1x12 combo i have played. There are some 1x12 combos that I have played that I wouldnt gig with (Blackstar HT40)

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Yep - peavey classic 30. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 644
    It's all I've ever done really - currently, either a Roland Cube (initially a 60 but have recently picked up an 80XL as well), a Tech21 TM60 or a Vox Nighttrain 50 Head through a 1x12 MJW cab. The older I get, the more I appreciate the convenience!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016

Not a combo but I'm using a small head and a 1 x 12" cab for 3 bands I work in. I'm always mic'ed so it still sounds big out front. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Marshall jcm2000 dsl401. Very loud and ballsey even pure backline for an open air gig. See live section for gig clips.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Also a Classic 30 owner and I couldn't see myself needing anything bigger for a long time, I've never had the clean channel past 3!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    1x10 here, my Princeton is the best onstage sound I've ever had, probably because I'm listening mainly to a miked signal, which is let's face it how we listen to all our favourite players.
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Used to play with a 4x12 cab. Now two 1x12 amps - easier to carry, and I actually prefer the sound. If you need more, you'll probably be miked anyway..
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 215
    I've always used a 1x12, if it's going through the pa then it doesn't really matter...
  • Vox AC15 and Fender Princeton here.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I gig with a Fender Mustang 3. Got sick of lugging the AC30 up flights of stairs.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited October 2014
    Small head (18w DrZ or 25w Boogie mini rec depends which I am in the mood for) + 1x12.  I have an extra 1x12 cab for bigger stages.

Biggest I'd go is a 2x10 cab.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    mrleon83 said:

I've always used a 1x12, if it's going through the pa then it doesn't really matter...
    I thought that until I played on a really big stage with a 1x12" - which sounded great on small stages - and even with the PA and full monitoring it just sounded small and boxy. The 2x12" I have now doesn't have that problem. There's still some difference caused by the bigger cab and extra speaker even if only one of them is mic'ed, I think.

I agree up to a large point though. And for smaller gigs a larger amp is a lot extra to carry for that small difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fender Machete 1x12 - though its an oversize 1x12, or a 2x12 cab with my AFX set-up.  Depends on the requirements of the band and the size of the venue.   Never using a 4x12 again lol.
  • 1x12 supersonic here - fooking awesome and even with our Mental loud drummer it never goes above 3-4
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited October 2014
    ICBM said:
    I thought that until I played on a really big stage with a 1x12" - which sounded great on small stages - and even with the PA and full monitoring it just sounded small and boxy. The 2x12" I have now doesn't have that problem. There's still some difference caused by the bigger cab and extra speaker even if only one of them is mic'ed, I think.

I agree up to a large point though. And for smaller gigs a larger amp is a lot extra to carry for that small difference.
    The thing is, a 1x12" combo is generally more of a pain in the ass to lug around than a head and 2x12" as far as I can tell. They're usually in the 20-25kg range, whereas heads and 2x12" cabs are normally in the 15-20kg range; that extra 5kg makes a huge difference in portability, to me at least.

Not only that, but when you're carrying things of equal weight in each hand, there's much less chance of screwing your back up.

I've never seen the portability advantage of combos...

Add to that the fact that 2x12" cabs have always sounded bigger and better, and you can get away with even less weight if a cab's provided because a head's more flexible...really not seeing the advantage at all.
    <space for hire>
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348
    edited October 2014
    i gigged for a while with a laney cub 12, fitted with a V30. plenty loud enough but i now gig a laney vc30 212 because i prefer the spread of sound, also tbh it looks better on stage.
  • You carry a combo in front of you - noobs carry combos like suitcases.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    edited October 2014
    A combo wins for carrying because you have it in one hand, your pedalboard in the other, and your guitar in a gig bag on your shoulder. One trip. Can't do that with a head and cab unless you don't have a pedalboard.

If your pedalboard is the size of mine it goes a fair way to balancing the amp too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein