Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone gigging with a 1x12 combo ??! Thinking of downsizing.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Orange Rocker 30' brilliant. Has speaker out so can plug into a 412 for a bit more spread. Do it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    If I'm relying on the back line then I prefer a 2x12. If it's mic'd, or better DI'd, through the PA then 1x12 is fine for personal monitoring. I still prefer the feel of the 2x12, but boot space, "stage" space in small pubs, and arthritis say otherwise
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    midlifecrisis;384168" said:
    i gigged for a while with a laney cub 12, fitted with a V30. plenty loud enough but i now gig a laney vc30 212 because i prefer the spread of sound, also tbh it looks better on stage.
    Very similar to yourself I have a Cub 12R with V30 and a Laney VC30. However I opted for the VC30-210 with two excellent Jensen C10Q16 drivers. Its lighter and smaller than the 212 and has a lovely more vintage edge. I also have the matching 1x12 cab with a Celestion seventy eighty to add a little more bottom end whilst retaining the sparklier vintage tone from the tens. The combination of 2x10 and 1x12 either as a mini stack or spread is superb. And its easier on my poor back than the 2x12.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    midlifecrisis;384168" said:
    i gigged for a while with a laney cub 12, fitted with a V30. plenty loud enough but i now gig a laney vc30 212 because i prefer the spread of sound, also tbh it looks better on stage.
    Very similar to yourself I have a Cub 12R with V30 and a Laney VC30. However I opted for the VC30-210 with two excellent Jensen C10Q16 drivers. Its lighter and smaller than the 212 and has a lovely more vintage edge. I also have the matching 1x12 cab with a Celestion seventy eighty to add a little more bottom end whilst retaining the sparklier vintage tone from the tens. The combination of 2x10 and 1x12 either as a mini stack or spread is superb. And its easier on my poor back than the 2x12.
    yeah, funnily enough I was looking for the 210 but found a really cheap bargain of a 212 so I went for it. I do love it though, before that I had a marshall jvm combo 100w valve, stupidly loud and very heavy for me, too many knobs (excluding the knob behind the guitar) never really liked it.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    Doing sound in a few local venues I see a variety of backline with local and touring bands but I probably run in to more Fender Hot Rod Deluxes than anything else so I guess that says plenty about how many people are happy with a 1x12.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I use a two rock jet 22 or studio 35 90% of the time and they are great nice and loud when you need them to be
    I have bigger hardware for bigger occasions but it takes a lot to convince me I need to carry the extra weight
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    Recently I've been playing with a compact head and closed back 1x12 cab.

It sounds a bit boxier than a 2x12 or even an open 1x12, but retains surprisingly good bass projection.

Most of the audience won't notice the difference, and your back definitely will
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited October 2014
    I switched to a head and 1x12 cab because I got fed up with heavy combos. Been using a Dr Z Maz Sr head with a Celestion Gold in a 1x12 cab for a few years now; miced or not if it doesn't sound good then it's my fault. I've got a Z 2x10 as well, but I never use it.

For small rehearsals or whatever I have an old silverface Deluxe Reverb. No problems there either.

• I've always been a 1x12 combo man for gigging. I have to say it's a recipe for bruised shins - especially at the end of the night if you're loading up after having a few... My current squeeze is a Reverend Hellhound 40/60 combo (Tweed Bassman / JMP Marshall) - with a Weber California 80. Sounds huge with this speaker and it's pretty lightweight too.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Hot Rod Deluxe here... sounds magnificent, takes up less stage space, lighter to carry, takes up less home space... Fills pubs with sound, never runs out of puff. What more do you want?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.