Bends

What's Hot
I’m trying to nail Shine on you crazy diamond which has more bends in than any other song I’ve tried to learn so I’m not great at them. The issue I’m having is when I’m bending up you can hear my nail strike the string above and it rings out through the amp. What am I doing wrong. I don’t have long nails but will trimming them right down help? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 700
    Try to get "under" the string by angling the finger doing the bending down a bit, so that the nail would be above the height of the adjacent string. In this way, a big enough bend would "scoop up" and mute the adjacent string. Sometimes you want to let the adjacent string ring out too, to "dirty" the note.

If this is hard to achieve with practice, it might be that the action on your guitar is too low for you to get "under" the string.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    When you say bending “up”, you mean upwards, away from the earth, towards the sky, towards the bass strings, yes?

Are you perhaps putting your finger down too perpendicularly to tFB? You need to have a bit more of the fleshy pad pf your finger on the string so when you bend, your nail is nowhere near the string next to it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    doesn't sound quite the same, but I prefer to slide up to some of the notes, personal taste really, I like the solid note at the top

depends if you want to replicate the original or play something that works for you

I do play with some of the mad bends on this sometimes, but I don't really like some of the wobbly bits (in the original as well as my playing)

DG is probably my favourite player, and this track does sound sublime, I just think it would sound better with less of those extreme bends 
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    This is bending a perfect 4th on the G string. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    IMG_5134.jpeg 216.7K
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 303
    viz said:
    When you say bending “up”, you mean upwards, away from the earth, towards the sky, towards the bass strings, yes?

Are you perhaps putting your finger down too perpendicularly to tFB? You need to have a bit more of the fleshy pad pf your finger on the string so when you bend, your nail is nowhere near the string next to it. 
    Yes that’s what I meant. And yes based on that picture above I think I’m trying to bend more with the tip than the pad. 
  • viz said:
    This is bending a perfect 4th on the G string. 
    Looks like a perfect fifth on the table!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    ditchboy said:
    … based on that picture above I think I’m trying to bend more with the tip than the pad. 
    Be careful doing that. In my early days I tore the skin under my nail by pushing sideways with an upright finger tip. Flatten your finger, and where possible support the bend with other fingers
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    doesn't sound quite the same, but I prefer to slide up to some of the notes, personal taste really, I like the solid note at the top

depends if you want to replicate the original or play something that works for you

I do play with some of the mad bends on this sometimes, but I don't really like some of the wobbly bits (in the original as well as my playing)

DG is probably my favourite player, and this track does sound sublime, I just think it would sound better with less of those extreme bends 
    That is my approach TBH - Maybe as I also listen a lot to sax players - Maybe my technique and as you say a 'solid note' at the end - I have a good vibrato, but to long sliding to the note means my bends are not adequate, but I don't get hung up about it

If playing 12 bar/blues etc I tend to go with the old 30's/40's 50's black blues approach with 1/4 note bends as well - But that is in many ways a different story - If I'm trying to nail a melodic phrase then I slide and nail the right note 

A poor bend sounds awful - A slide is never wrong - Same applies to GM and still got the blues etc etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 303
    Snapped a brand new high e string on my tele last night trying to bend up a whole tone. I couldn’t quite get it up to a full tone and was probably getting just past halfway then “pop” nearly had my eye out! 
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    I think there are two things here. If you use a higher action there is a chance your finger can go under the sting as you have
      described so if a higher action is your preference you could try damping the lower strings with your hand.
      Hoe this helps.