Wind farm ships - big, ugly things.

What's Hot

These pics were taken by one of my guys, the ship is off Clacton, carrying out work to stop the windmills from falling over, and covering up the seabed cables that have become uncovered, apparently their putting rocks on them.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/IMG_7419_zps95922b27.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/IMG_7416_zps8ba303f6.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768
    aren't all modern ships big ugly things? There was some advert on for a "cruise line" and the ship looked like a brick on its side, with a pointy bit one end and some windows. A far cry from the heyday of the liner.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In the top pic, what have they spilled into the sea?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It looks purposeful. I like things that look fit for the job. I'm always amazed they stay afloat ( yes I get the physics involved) in the same way I'm always amazed by thrust from an engine keeping a hulking great plane in the sky.

Mind you, I wouldn't want that fckr parked at the bottom of me garden.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72937
    VimFuego said:
    There was some advert on for a "cruise line" and the ship looked like a brick on its side
    Costa Cruises?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768
    I can't recall the name, I was so offended by the ugliness of the ship I think my brain shut down in protest.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    ICBM said:
    VimFuego said:
    There was some advert on for a "cruise line" and the ship looked like a brick on its side
    Costa Cruises?

ha ha ha!!!!

:D
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Won't the sheep just walk off the edge?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    But most of those aren't ugly…

OK, the Golden Star and the Tropical Islander aren't pretty, but they are functional. Most of the others are either quite nice, or amusing. The Debmar Pacific does look like a floating scrapyard though, I admit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/index.html Megantic was my first ship, followed by Laurentic.

That's (was) a very nice-looking ship.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    What did you do Chilli ?

Is this you... ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."

Well, during the war...................!

I do have the original oil painting of my second ship http://snowbow.co.uk/paintings/laurentic/p/175 hanging on the wall. Mrs C had it commissioned by the artist. Those old ships had both a function and a form that is sadly missing from today's floating boxes. I guess that's progress, and extracting the absolute maximum profit out of everything is the modern way.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Meh, at least the windfarms themselves are quite pretty
    I do have the original oil painting of my second ship http://snowbow.co.uk/paintings/laurentic/p/175 hanging on the wall. Mrs C had it commissioned by the artist. Those old ships had both a function and a form that is sadly missing from today's floating boxes. I guess that's progress, and extracting the absolute maximum profit out of everything is the modern way.
    I also find it sad that these beautiful ships had a working life of less than 20 years...

The majority of them had very big slow-speed 2-stroke diesels that were very expensive to produce, and maintain. Impressive though. The smaller, more efficient medium/high speed diesels took over in the 70s/80s, hence their working lives were fairly short. Steam powered ships have largely dwindled away these days, again due to complexity, high maintenance and initial cost.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5010
    The ships might look awful but at least they can sail away into the sunset. The wind turbines look awful too but they remain where they are sited. A blight on the seascape.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Rocker said:
    The ships might look awful but at least they can sail away into the sunset. The wind turbines look awful too but they remain where they are sited. A blight on the seascape.
    Can't have them on the land, can't have them at sea... Where should they get put?
    My V key is broken

In the rubbish bin.

I'm imagining the cracking arguments to be had with the bin-wankers when they find a turbine or two in the recycling bin. 

• Don't see the opposition to these - don't be so selfish about 'ruining the view' when it's merely English coastal sea in remote areas that don't even have beaches. Same with the countryside farms - tbh I think they look amazing and love looking at a big clump of them spinning in a nice country view.

Serious question - why is the sea colour yellow/green? That doesn't look right....