5f2a switchable cathode bypass cap

What's Hot
Hi all,

You may recall I built my first amp, a 5f2a from a modulus kit early this year. I'm now slowly coming around to the idea of playing with the odd mod and fancy trying a combined negative feedback / cathode bypass cap as per the Rob Robinette diagram linked here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fp1P68spF4oZVcac9

I've got my head around how to approach this but have one concern. Currently the bypass cap and cathode resistor are mounted to the same turret at each end, as per the modulus layout. To make them switchable I need to split them at one end and Rob's diagram shows them on separate turrets. To remove the board now and add an extra turret would be a lot of work so I wondered what the best way is to go about splitting one of these off the turret? Could I just splice a wire onto the end of the resistor for example, or is that deemed a bit sloppy? Or is there another way to add a turret without removing the board?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Graham 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    I would mount the 1.5k resistor directly on the switch at one end with a wire going from the other end up to the top turret, bit of heat shrink where the resistor connects to the wire. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's spot on, what a great idea! Many thanks! :-)
  • ....and also for taking the time to draw it for me! Much appreciated!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    No worries!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Hope Im not speaking out of turn here, but if it's a Modulus kit perhaps send them an email - Michael has always gone above and beyond when I've had questions about his kit's.
  • That's probably a good shout, thanks!