Why collection-only is so popular in UK?

What's Hot
alseicalseic Frets: 4
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Hi,

I've just joined this board to buy some amp posted in classifieds...
but, unfortunately, it's collection only. 
I'm watching ebay offers from whole Europe and it seems that most collection only offers are from UK.

I've been always curious, question might be silly, but since I'm on UK forum now, could somebody explain it to me?
Is it related to taxes (cash in person), no trust to couriers or is it just "UK" thing (too time consuming or something).

For example:
Used Mesa Boogie 4x12 in my country costs >600GBP, on UK ebay - 400GBP ... and my salary is probably 2-3 times less than in UK. Even with shipping (50-100GBP) it would be cheaper. 
But that's the special case, I've sold some cabs and heavy amps and I know that shipping can be a pain. Still, I think for some reason sellers from UK are less eager to ship items (I don't want to offend you, it's just my observation)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Bitter experience of things breaking when being couriered for the most part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Look for the number of ngd threads that end in a guitar smashed to matchwood by couriers.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2014
    It's basically fear.

I've posted at least 3 amps in the last 6 years, and I've had at least 3 amps delivered to me as well. All of them survived the journey without problems.

The only time I had a problem was when I sold a Laney VH100R to a friend up in Scotland, and when it arrived one of the corners of the headcase had separated. The amp itself was perfectly fine, but the shell case had come apart. He fixed it himself rather than shipping it back to me.

But you're exactly right. As a general rule, Brits don't like to post high-value items which might break in transit. Because our postal insurance regulations are not up to snuff, and a lot of people have been stiffed even when they did pay for extra insurance.

The best way to ship an amp - take out all of the tubes. Label them from which sockets they came. Double wrap in bubble wrap. Put back into the shell casing. Fill cavity with bubble wrap. Put the rear plate back onto the amp. Get some of those polystyrene corner holders, like this:
    http://www.labelmaster.com/images/products/400x400/kfc900.jpg

Thicker the better. Put two on the bottom, put amp in. Put two on the top. Amp should be fairly sure at this point. Now fill the box with as much bubble wrap as possible, and double tape it all around the box so the bottom doesn't break.

Very shippable and very safe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    edited October 2014
    Have you ever tried packing something the size and weight of a 4x12" *really* well enough to withstand being couriered? Most people wouldn't know where to start, and it's a lot of work. Covering the cab in cardboard and tape doesn't do it.

And even if you do pack it better, if they drop it heavily enough you can still have joint damage or (undetectable until you test it, or open it up) speaker damage, which will then involve a repair cost write-off usually since most couriers won't insure musical instruments above a tiny amount. You cannot pack well enough to stop this, the inertia of the speakers themselves is enough to do it if the cab drops hard.

Business sellers end up writing off a proportion of things they send out. If it's your own personal item and you can't afford to do that, don't ship it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• alseicalseic Frets: 4
    Thanks for the answers :)

I've never had any problems, just once - USPS lost my guitar in USA, fortunately it was insuranced and they didn't do any problems with money return.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Difference is that UK Postal Service are a bunch of thieving weasels who won't insure instruments adequately (no matter what you pay for).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554

I send out a lot of guitars from here and so far none have been damaged but you have to have the right kind of packaging. For big amps and cabs Pallet Line is an option at around £55 for a 3 day Uk service. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    I think it's also linked with the size of the UK generally - driving there is preferable. I'd do an overnighter for the right guitar/amp etc.

Our couriers aren't very good either.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's cheaper.

Gets right on my tits too. Just fckn post the fckr. Jesus!!! Buyer's paying anyhoo, Wants fully insured? No problem, Paypal me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    It's not that big a country, smaller than the size of Texas? Plus, lack of trust of buying packaging things properly and bad couriers.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    It's not that big a country, smaller than the size of Texas? Plus, lack of trust of buying packaging things properly and bad couriers.
    This

Small country is small... 

One end to the other can be driven in less than a day. Side to side in a few hours... 

France, Germany and Spain for instance are much bigger... and while our roads could do with being better maintained, we have a very extensive network of travel... 

Not only is the UK smaller, and our travel networks more extensive (than some parts of Europe) but we have several very densely packed cities which house huge swathes of people... Collection Only sales in London have 8 million people who can get to you with just an oyster card (assuming they all had one...) for instance. Add in the rest of the big cities with great public transport and a substantial number of us are in a very very small area.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    personally I just think we enjoy inviting strangers into our houses so we can add to our skins collection.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome to the forum.  

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    edited October 2014
    We're a bunch of social animals.

Welcome to the forum :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    CHRISB50 said:
    We're a bunch of animals.

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorted that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom