My latest N(A)GD journey completed today

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 28384
My browsing for a new Acoustic is now concluded!

I started the process watching a couple of s/h Taylor 314s on the Guitar Village site, hoping that perhaps they'd receive a little pricing revision in their recent BGM sale.  But they didn't, so I moved on.

Why those Taylors?  Because (a) I've had completely positive experience with the brand and (b) the 300 series is - IMHO - the best VFM range where you're getting the solid materials and benefit of Taylor's QC without the bling of the higher ranges and (c) the specs ticked my requirements boxes.

Prompted by some other threads here, I spent a while looking at Furch, then Dowina and Eastman.  Yes, all brands supported strongly by Richards.  I watched a lot of his videos and spent some time chatting online too.  I realise that he's marmite but I'd genuinely have liked to have bought from him.  He's independent, has a lot of passion, and isn't smothered by corporatespeak in sharing his opinions.  But, for one reason or another, it wasn't to be.  Not this time.

Called Peach - my most local quality store - as they had an Eastman that ticked my boxes as well as a lot of other possibles.  Been there before, bought from them before, and would most probably have bought from them again.  Except "we can see you at noon or 1pm on Sunday".   Sorry, but that appointment system is a pita and demands that I fit my schedule around them which just doesn't fit my life.

Swapped PMs with Doug at Coda on Thurs/Fri.  He took a couple of candidates off the website for me (so they didn't sell before I could get there) and I was there for opening time this morning.  We'd agreed the parameters of a deal via PM.  Went in, test drove the options I'd focused on online, checked for anything else that I might have missed, made my decision, handed over my credit card and my p/ex, and drove home.  No hassles, no problems, easy transaction.

Over the last couple of hours I've done some playing, and some more playing, and am very happy with my choice.

The website pics will have to do until I get some decent light and time to take some others ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
324ce1.jpg 150.5K
324ce2.jpg 115.7K
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28384
    edited October 2023
    It's a  324ce, Mahogany top over Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides.  V-class bracing and the ES2 pickup system.

In size terms, it fits nicely between my GS mini and my large Faith.  The other option was a 312ce 12fret, but that was too similar in size to the GS mini and the 324 had a much rounder/fuller/warmer sound - obviously because of the larger body and the woods used.  The woods and sounds are also a good variation from the GS mini and Faith.

I much prefer the ES2 pickup system to the under-saddle piezo strips used by most others - it sounds (to my ears) much closer to the guitar's sound, and the active controls are really effective if you use them sensitively.  A small change there makes a noticeable change to the sound.

It's completely bling-free.  I've got a solid guitar, with all of Taylors engineering quality and support behind it, a simple satin finish (which I prefer anyway) and the usual excellent Taylor case.  No flamed binding, no sparkly inlays, no super gloss.  Just a solid guitar.  Which I what I wanted.

It was listed as s/h on the website but was actually NoS.  Which means I've got the full lifetime Taylor warranty and a significant saving on the new price anywhere else.  The p/ex price was more than fair.  I'd listed a 150e-12string for £600 here (so, £500ish mates rates).  Obviously I took less than the mates rate, but I also saved the waiting for a sale and the hassle of shipping or time and travel for a meet-up somewhere.

My first experience with Coda.  I know others have been positive about them here, and my experience completely backs that up.  Stevenage is actually closer than I thought, and an easy drive, so maybe not my last visit there.  Oh, and you can just turn up during opening hours - what a novel approach!

Thanks @DougCoda ;
    :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 877
    edited October 2023
    HNGD and have a wow.
    That’s a beauty. I love the Taylor mahogany guitars and that looks incredible.
    Enjoy.

edit - those inlays are ace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely guitar and I enjoyed the read. Ta
  • Very nice but I would change the bridge to black. Happy NAGD.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 210
    edited October 2023
    Totally agree about the Peach appointment system .I’am not slagging off peach but they MUST lose quite a lot of trade.I found it a pain myself.
    Enjoy your NGD

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 263
    Good result.
    I'm not impressed by the 'fit you in' appointment approach either - you have to arrange your schedule around a shop trying to sell you something?? 

I like Taylor's and I too prefer bling-less guitars, I do think that's a corker. As you say, all solid, no piezo, Taylor quality AND new old stock! There is no downside !
    Great guitar, enjoy !
     ;)

• TanninTannin Frets: 5987
    A great choice @TTony!

As mentioned in other threads, Taylor make great guitars. I'd be very interested to sample one in those timbers - mahogany and Blackwood is an intriguing combination. The only hardwood-top Taylors I have played are all-Koa ones. People say that Blackwood is similar to Koa and there is some truth to that but they are quite clearly different to listen to. Blackwood is quite a bit harder and has less warmth and more ring to it. Both great sounds, matter of taste which one you prefer. But the top is mahogany. Interesting combination! 

I agree with you that the 3 Series Taylors are good value. Twice I came pretty close to buying a 314ce in Sitka Spruce and Sapele not so long ago. Taylor's rosewood instruments tend to be too sweet and bright for my ear, but they make plenty of other combinations.

I reckon you'll be very happy with this one. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Happy new guitar day, I too had a great experience at Coda when I bought my Atkin. Also the appointment system at peach continues to put me off a visit and I fancy another 335 or tele. There are other options which I shall pursue.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2452
    Excellent, well done :) 
  • Are folk not allowed to just walk in and try guitars at Peach? 

Coda are great. 

I've heard great things about that specific guitar - excellent choice and looks great!
  • Afraid not.You have to book an appointment.
    Thanks all for the comments.

It fits well into my "range", both in terms of size and the wood combination and hence sounds.

I had been thinking about a build-my-own acoustic, but there's no way that I'd manage to produce something this good.  A self-buid would also cost me a lot more in tools/materials and time and have zero residual.  Instead of attempting a build, I'm just going to focus on enjoying the playing!

Are folk not allowed to just walk in and try guitars at Peach? 
    You mean, like in a "shop" ???   :o

Afraid not.You have to book an appointment.
    Indeed.  I book appointments to see a dentist.  Or to have my car serviced.

Digs aside, the system clearly works for Peach.  I've bought from them mail-order and probably would again as they have a justified reputation for being better than a pure box shifter (though, with great irony, I then had to go to the "shop" to collect the guitar because their courier screwed up!). 

But that's only going to work if you know what you want and are happy to buy-before-try - which I wasn't going to do with an acoustic.  Must also leave them open to a greater volume of returns - which would put a doubt in my mind as to whether a guitar was "new".

But that's another thread.

I'll take my own pics of the guitar if the sun ever reappears ... in the meantime, I'm happy playing it  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Afraid not.You have to book an appointment.
    Indeed.  I book appointments to see a dentist.
    I mean, to be fair, they probably sell quite a few PRSes... maybe the familiarity will get them some more sales.

( =) )
    I did think someone might ... @Dave_Mc ;

;)
    TTony said:
    I did think someone might ... @Dave_Mc ;

;)
    Hard to resist...  =)