Gibson L30 archtop

Anyone played an old Gibson L30 archtop? These seem to be built on the L00 body shape but (I think) have a carved spruce top. How do they sound? Can you get that classic acoustic archtop sound from them (maybe at lower volume)? 
Would they be a hard sell if I were to move it on? 
Would I be much better off with an L48 (with a 16" lower bout vs 14 3/4"), i dont think id be aboe yo stretch to a L-5 or equivalent. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    The Waterloo WL AT is Collings version of that type of guitar.  I have one and really like it.  It’s pretty loud 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    edited October 2023
    Definitely sounds like an Archtop, Mahogany back and sides though as opposed to maple used by Gibson on the L 30.  I like the darker woody tone of mahogany guitars but I haven’t played an L 30 so can’t comment on the differences tone wise.  Brighter for sure 
  • mgaw said:
    The Waterloo WL AT is Collings version of that type of guitar.  I have one and really like it.  It’s pretty loud 
    I hadn't seen the WL AT. It looks exactly like it's modelled after L30. I'm thinking it might be great for a archtop sound that is comfortable to play on the sofa kind of thing. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 878
    I think Nick Branwell's SA30 model may be around the same size - https://www.branwellguitars.co.uk/archtop-guitars
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5614
    Can't help. Never even seen one. Watching this thread to see if I can learn something.
  • oh_pollo said:
    I think Nick Branwell's SA30 model may be around the same size - https://www.branwellguitars.co.uk/archtop-guitars
    Wow, that SA is stunning, looks fantastic with the natural top and beautiful contours. It seems that enough luthiers are immigrating the early epi zeniths and Gibson L30/37/47 that they must have some potential. I know that archtops got bigger and bigger to compete on loudness but this isn't something I need. Defnitely worth doing the long trip to go find out I reckon. 
  • Maks Guitars have one of Nick's archtops on order. Worth giving them an email to find out when it will be stock.  They also sell his flat tops, I played a few and liked them, but his archtops at Maks seem to leave the shop almost before they come in stock.