Peavey Triple X - Better than the 5150?

What's Hot

This is such an underrated amp..ive decided to do something a little different and give it a boost using the Fortin 33 and it just became a modern high gain monster! A lot of gain but a lot of clarity too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    I know Josh Middleton had one he swore by for years alongside his Gower Marshalls, but more recently he's switched to be firmly 5150. But the tones from the XXX are just as brutal, as you're showing!
    Tim
  • timmypix said:
    I know Josh Middleton had one he swore by for years alongside his Gower Marshalls, but more recently he's switched to be firmly 5150. But the tones from the XXX are just as brutal, as you're showing!
    Yes he does! And the XXX are incredible amps , especially for the price youre getting them for!
  • That sounds great - and I agree there is a good amount of clarity in there. I like.

Just quick clarification - you said signal chain with captor and diezel 4x12. Is that a diezel IR in the captor and if so which please?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 916
    I tried the xxx combo and the jsx combo - I think the satriani signature was an evolution of the xxx?

From memory they had active tone controls on the high gain channel  which I never got on with!

I did love my original peavey 5150 combo - the rhythm channel set to crunch was great!
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    A 120watts of pure balls to the wall! 

Would love to try one.  
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2303
    Ah. The XXXXXXXXX. 

The name has always bothered me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    That demo sounded and felt like a full frontal lobotomy without anaesthetic.
    I just don't understand ultra high gain amps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Sassafras said:
    Wow.... 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    Sassafras said:
    Thats how you know an ultra high gain amp is working.

personally I couldn’t get on with the 5150/6505. The hiss associated with that amp just annoyed me. However, the JSX (the brother of the XXX) was incredible, may have to get myself one again soon
  • Stevepage said:
    Sassafras said:
    Thats how you know an ultra high gain amp is working.

personally I couldn’t get on with the 5150/6505. The hiss associated with that amp just annoyed me. However, the JSX (the brother of the XXX) was incredible, may have to get myself one again soon
    Yes! The JSX is also incredible! Ive got one and will compare the two soon!
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 79
    I had both in the 90s/early 2000s… very different amps in my experience. 

If you want pure filth, nothing much comes close to a 5150, there’s a very good reason why it was so popular… 

The XXX is a much more versatile amp and you will cover much more ground with it. 
  • This takes me back to the days of GAINNNNN before I found I prefer a bit less gain and OD to boost with my Laney and Orange heads but I've had both and a mesa and a 51502 and few other high gain heads including the JSX 
    I found the XXX to be my favourite out of all off them besides the Rivera Knuckle Tre (beast of an amp and my number 1 high gain head). I love the sound more than anything I found the lead channel was great at those high gain modern metal sounds with a boost and was great for some skate punk stuff I was doing and hardcore bands I was in, I use to use the crunch channel more for leads and riffs as it was a bit clearer and had more mids I found. 
    I also uses it in a heavy rock band with the crunch channel as my main sounds and the lead channel set lower gain for big liquid type solos. 
    When I had mine everyone into guitars considered it a poor mans mesa dual rec but I had a 2 channel Rec and found the XXX cut the mix way better and was less harsh. 
    Years later I had got the JSX which was the modded Joe satriani version and it was just not as good to me, it didn't have that grind the XXX had. 

• In case anyone is interested, here is just a raw playthrough! -

• I tried one out way back when I got my JVM but the cheesy presentation put me off.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I tried one out way back when I got my JVM but the cheesy presentation put me off.
    Id have to agree, i wish it looked different , its so tempting changing the grill ..
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11767
    tFB Trader
    This was the amp that was supposed to be a George Lynch amp, not sure about the mudflap girl myself either.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!