Soldano Decatone - clips

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited October 2014

As for the distortion/sensitivity, it's fairly likely that this amp needs some new preamp valves. I'll probably experiment with some this afternoon when the wife has buggered off to work - I think I've got some JJs and Marshall-branded ones kicking around somewhere.

Hadn't thought about changing the effects mix - I've got it 100% wet.
    Running it at 50% imo gives a nice balance 'almost' wet/dry feel, but you do have to reset your effects to compensate that there set back in the mix. Also slightly quieter overall volume.
    I'd try a change of V1 to start once you've settled in with the amp, I've got an unhealthy obsession with sylvania long plates so I've run those in amps for sometime, to me they give a smooth bite to the pre distortion, but each to their own, probably wouldn't bother with the marshall pres though.

Have you taken the chassis out yet? the quality of workmanship is awesome and the thickness of the chassis is bomb proof.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  Cool, I'll try that. I haven't mucked around inside it as yet...

Anyway, more clips:

0:00 - clean (single coil)
    0:19 - crunch (single coil)
    1:25 - very scooped crunch
    2:13 - lead

No, I'm not a funk player ;) This time, I moved the mic to about 4 inches from the cloth and closer to the centre (roughly half way between the dust cap and the cone edge). Settings are all the same as last time, except for the very scooped crunch where I took the bass up to 8 o'clock, mid down to 1.5 and treble up to 7.
    <space for hire>
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    Didn't like the very scooped lead at all, but the rest of it sounds awesome! Some nice guitar work on there, the odd nod to Nuno? I'm a fan of Soldano models from modelling, and it was finding out Prince uses them that finally sold me on the closest thing I can afford ATM, the Jet City JCA22H.
  • Yes! More clips! Nice!! What did you use to record?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Nice :D That sounds badass.

That's some dedication too, you even had to sell your shirt to afford it. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyh said:
    Didn't like the very scooped lead at all, but the rest of it sounds awesome! Some nice guitar work on there, the odd nod to Nuno? I'm a fan of Soldano models from modelling, and it was finding out Prince uses them that finally sold me on the closest thing I can afford ATM, the Jet City JCA22H.
    Cheers - It was more than a nod...that was Cupid's Dead from Extreme III :) This set of clips was all about what people had asked for (mainly @monquixote) - a bit of funky clean, some slightly less gain-y stuff with 7#9 and other odd chords in it, some ultra-gain-y scooped chuggy stuff and a bit of lead from the overdrive channel.

Yes! More clips! Nice!! What did you use to record?
    Believe it or not, it was an SE2000 mic into an iRig Pre plugged into my Sony phone, then a little bit of editing to take out the silence.

Dave_Mc said:

I does sound badass, doesn't it? Bloody love this amp.

By the way, @ecc83 - I just managed to find a decibel meter app which is calibrated pretty well up to a max of 100dB on my phone, and it was recording 99db up to the max with those settings, so I'd say it's probably between 99dB and 101dB at about 1m. Does that help?
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Awesomesauce. 

Cheers for that dude. 

It sounds super epically crunchtastic. 

Tis a very nice amp you've got yourself there :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:

He forgot his gym kit so he had to rock out in his vest and pants.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    ^ :))

I does sound badass, doesn't it? Bloody love this amp.
    Yeah I don't doubt it. I've never tried yours but (and this is about the 1000th time I've said this :)) ) the avenger I tried was awesome.
  • The distortion on that thing is just awesome :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    edited October 2014

-"By the way, @ecc83 - I just managed to find a decibel meter app which is calibrated pretty well up to a max of 100dB on my phone, and it was recording 99db up to the max with those settings, so I'd say it's probably between 99dB and 101dB at about 1m. Does that help?"

Lil bit. But I bet the app' has the A weighting and that will under read by about 20dB at 100Hz and we are also at the mercy of the sensitivity of the phone's mic and its response. The problem is that the "bright or dark" balance we hear this end depends hugely on absolute level. This assumes also of course on peeps listening on something 1/2 decent!

Dacve.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited October 2014
    Crunch tones are sounding ace! I bet it sounds and feels amazing up loud with the band.
  • Crunch tones are sounding ace! I bet it sounds and feels amazing up loud with the band.
    Yup. I must admit, there seems to be a lack of sustain on the lead channel, but that goes away when it's at live volume. The clean channel also sounds a hell of a lot fuller at proper volume, but there are limits to what I can do at home.

I've spent most of my time on the crunch channel, mind. It makes me happy.
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited October 2014
    The cleans sounded fine to me I just get more excited about crunchy rhythm sounds. And the crunches sound great. Good GAS!