Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Too much too old - midlife crisis purchase.

What's Hot
GoFishGoFish Frets: 1559
Aw shit. I may have just committed to buying a Twin.

I've been so careful for may years, did months of digging  before even getting a 20 watter. Once turned down the oppotunity for a cheap as chips AC30 cc2x  and now, this. I haven't played out for years and years - strictly at home now. I barely have any friends for jams and stuff anymore. Don't even write anymore, though that will hopefully shift someday.

I was looking at Vibro Champs, Princetons. Secretly wanted a Super Reverb but , y'know, it's monstrous (2 ohms as well). Same with a 5f6. And now, this.

Had in my mind decided on a 70s Traynor, or a Rivera Princeton / Superchamp. Considered an 80s Concert but was put off by conflicting reports about the sounds. If i wanted gain I may as well have gone for a Mesa Express or a DSL 40, both of which I was curious about. But now, this.
Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it just stays at home... fine. I guess you have an itch to scratch otherwise you'd have bought a deluxe :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    YOLO. Get an attenuator, job's a good'un. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited November 2023
    Yeah get a Two Notes Torpedo Captor X Job done.
    Or the much cheaper straight forward option just to kill volume a Bugera PS1 100 watt attenuator Passive Power Soak.
    It’s a brilliant great value for money box must have .

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    An if you get bored with it..give me a shout...I may deal with my princeton lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Or the much cheaper straight forward option just to kill volume a Bugera PS1 100 watt attenuator Passive Power Soak.

Think the Twin is 4ohm which would make Captor X a no go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    roberty said:

Think the Twin is 4ohm which would make Captor X a no go
    Yes agree. 

The bog standard capture comes in 4 ohms though. 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/two-notes-torpedo-captor-4/905653
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Running an 8-ohm load from a Twin is fine. It only might not be if you’re absolutely cranking it fully into distortion, and even then it probably would be. If it’s still worrying you, just remove either the inner or outer pair of 6L6s - that will drop the power to half and double the output impedance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    The Captor X 8 Ohm will deal with 4 Ohm according to Two Notes, so it’s an option with the Twin 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    There's no pockets in a shroud mate. Enjoy owning it. I have a motorbike that will do 180mph and unless I track it I can only legally do 70mph. Even if I did track it I no longer have the reaction times I did when I was in my 20's and the attenuator is myself. All the good roads are now festooned with speed cameras and so I can't use the bike quickly round the twisties now either. It's no different to your twin in that respect. To be honest there aren't that many reputable valve amps, if any, you can crank at home if you have neighbours through an adjoining wall. Even a 12W Princeton is loud. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Good for you, hope you enjoy it! And don't bother with the attenuator, you turn that thing up and let it rip -  your neighbours should be grateful for the free entertainment. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha nice one! I have heard many well informed people say a Twin is a great home amp if you have room for it. They sound great even when turned down and if you're not going to move it then the mightly bulk isn't an issue. In my opinion, it's worth having it just to crank the volume, put some reverb and trem on and hear the clean tone of the gods.
  • I used one of these with my Twin, sounded awesome, proper Jack White territory 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195577918215?hash=item2d895a3307:g:D98AAOSwYlNj1~wg
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 300
    edited November 2023
    It's your money.  And it's probably better to spend it on amps than on less edifying midlife indulgences such as coke and hookers.  Almost certainly. Probably. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1559
    Thanks for the support / enabling fellas :)

i'll eventually downsize to a more sensible amp - I must do! - but I'm going to enjoy having whats undeniably a too-powerful amp turned down rather tham trying to find some sort of sweet spot on a little chihuahua. I was overdue for a ridiculous brainfart anyway.
  • It's your money.  And it's probably better to spend it on amps than on less edifying midlife indulgences such as coke and hookers.  Almost certainly. Probably. 
    Well that's a matter of opinion  =)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • GoFish said:

i'll eventually downsize to a more sensible amp - I must do! 

You think you'll be able to go back?

I still miss the 70s Twin I sold probably two decades ago for entirely sensible, rational reasons. Nothing else sounds like it. I could never turn it up to anything like distortion, but holy shit did it sound great clean with the reverb turned up.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 916
    I am also a middle aged man who loves big amps - there I`ve said it! We should form a special self help section of the forum. 

I know that small amps are the way forward, and I do have a few nice 15w / 20w amps that are perfect to gig with if you look at it reasonably - but every time I plug into a big amp it sounds, well, BIG! Even (especially) at sensible gigging volume.

Twins are lovely - if a bit heavy............
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1559
    I do love an amp on the cusp of breaking up, but I realised I would not get that at home with any Fender without a master volume or attenuation. So I came to embrace the headroom instead and scratch an itch I didn't even know I had. I do wonder what teenage me, trying to play the wildest, satanist, brutalist music I could would have so say about his future self with a tele into a Twin Reverb.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    GoFish said:

i'll eventually downsize to a more sensible amp
    No. Don't do that. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    GoFish said:

I was overdue for a ridiculous brainfart anyway.
    This is a simply perfect demonstration of self-awareness and I applaud you. Occasional brainfarts are a philosophy to live by. 

Now, go and see if you can dislodge the music room windows through pure, un-attenuated volume.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom