Jura vs Old Pulteney

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I haven't had Jura in a while but I bought my old guitar teacher a Poultney as a retirement gift. I also went to school in the home of Old Poultney if that's a legit claim to fame?
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Any Laugavulin fans on here? I am sadly tea-total these days, not by inclination, but I used to prefer that stuff to Laphroaig as far as the strong peaty ones go, heresy though that may be to say.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Anyone tried the Welsh Penderyn stuff?

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The last whisky I had was Penderryn, the Welsh one.
    My V key is broken
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Megii said:
    Any Laugavulin fans on here? I am sadly tea-total these days, not by inclination, but I used to prefer that stuff to Laphroaig as far as the strong peaty ones go, heresy though that may be to say.
    I like Lagavulin if I'm in the mood for that Peaty thing.

I want to get some Oban again.  Haven't had that for years.
    holnrew said:
    What was it like? I've seen it on the shelf, but been a bit hesitant because it's not Scottish.

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I've been working through a whisky book and think my favourites so far are Aberlour and Fettercairn. Auchentoshan is a bit of a revelation too - cheap as chips but tastes as good as a mid-range whisky.

I often have the various Juras cos Tesco has them on yellow label all the time but I don't think I've ever had an Old Pulteney.

Tesco usually have Old Pulteney here. Maybe have another look?

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189

The Aldi stuff is supposed to be awesome and has won loads of high level awards. Alas my Aldi snobbery prevents me from buying any.

Ah well

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    From a friend who spent a little while touring Scottish distilleries I learnt that often Japanese brands are actually made for them in Scotland by lesser known distilleries.
    Penderryn: tried this maybe eight years ago. Maybe it's improved by now, I'm not that eager to find out.
    I used to particularly like Glenfarclas 105, Macallan, Laugavulin as previously mentioned. All seem to have got a fair bit pricier lately - 10 years ago you could find those at 20-something pounds if you shopped around. Now they seem to have gone up by at least a tenner a bottle... :(
    I do remember reading a while ago, that if whisky prices had kept up with inflation, a bottle of blended scotch would cost about £36. God knows what a bottle of single malt would cost by comparison!

I do remember reading a while ago, that if whisky prices had kept up with inflation, a bottle of blended scotch would cost about £36. God knows what a bottle of single malt would cost by comparison!
    I dread to think - I should be grateful I guess. And I don't/can't drink anymore anyhow, so why do I still keep tabs on whisky prices and care about this stuff? Not sure, but I do... :D
    Megii said:
    I dread to think - I should be grateful I guess. And I don't/can't drink anymore anyhow, so why do I still keep tabs on whisky prices and care about this stuff? Not sure, but I do... :D

Old habits, eh?

Old habits - that's probably about right... :)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:
    What was it like? I've seen it on the shelf, but been a bit hesitant because it's not Scottish.

To my uneducated palette it was quite nice, pretty clean tasting, notes of treacle and wintergreen. 

Megii said:
    I do the same with fags. They're not far off being double the price they were when I quit.
    My V key is broken