Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can't hear myself onstage.

What's Hot
Hello!

I play in a 5 piece rock band which is pretty dynamic. Drums, bass, 3 guitar/2vox. (2 of the guitar players also sing0

We play 100-500 venues (mostly 100-250) which have shallow stages, so I end up (cos I'm just guitar, not vox) standing pretty close to my amp which is aimed at my knees.

Used horizontal 2x12 and vertical 2x12 and (surprised me) it made almost not difference.

Can't turn-up.

At the bigger (posher) venues, I can ask for guitars in the monitors, but obviously not at the smaller places.

Any ideas would be AMAZING!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get your amp off the floor - a combo on top of a flight case is my ideal setup in general. That way it’s pointed at your head, not your legs. 

A couple of beer crates or similar can also work well 

As well as that, I’d consider EQing each guitar differently (and sometimes even playing different parts) so you’re not fighting over the same frequency space 

And I hope I’m preaching to the converted when I suggest proper moulded earplugs, as they help you hear everything more clearly, and that includes your own guitar, obviously 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks! Maybe I'm looking for a solution that doesn't exist.

Putting an amp on a crate isn't any higher than a vertical 2x12, so that doesn't work.

EQ-wise, it's fine. We're 3 albums in. It's all fine in that regard.

The issue is simply my amp is aimed at my knees.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    Angle it at your head
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    edited November 2023
    Deleted 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Thanks! Maybe I'm looking for a solution that doesn't exist.

Putting an amp on a crate isn't any higher than a vertical 2x12, so that doesn't work.

EQ-wise, it's fine. We're 3 albums in. It's all fine in that regard.

The issue is simply my amp is aimed at my knees.

Put it on several crates.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Put the vertical 2x12" on a crate (or two). If you can get the top speaker up to ear level or close, you will hear it better. If that isn't practical, angle it back so it's pointing at your head. (Obviously the amp will have to not be on top of it.)

It may also be better to point it somewhere other than out into the crowd - that way, you can turn it up further without it being too loud out front. Make sure it isn't pointing directly at the vocal mic or other band members as well though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3215
    tFB Trader
    Deeflexx 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HugoHugo Frets: 4
    I think most guitar player have this problem, at least I do. What helped me was a clear screen so I can put my amp loud enough to hear myself without annoying anybody else, the sound will go more up so to your ears. I hate putting amps pointed at your head because you get hard shrill sound. I also recently flipped my semi open back cab and still use the clear screen for the sound coming from the back. This works great for me, you get a less direct sound and with less fatigue. I can hear my self much better and the sound is also much more pleasant.  
  • IEMs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 427
    edited November 2023
    IEMs.
    This. Absolute game changer.

We use the mixing station phone app so you can individually adjust the levels of each instrument and vocals. Sometimes I have one ear in and the other out to feel a little more connected to the crowd.

Without IEMs every gig will be different and you will face different problems. For example, tilting the cab towards you will work in some venues but then playing outdoors can result in hearing too much of your guitar and it can actually have a negative affect on playing.

Either mic up the cab or use XLR out if your amp has one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want something just for yourself completely independent of the bands gear, then mic up your cab, run an XLR from the mic into a Behringer P1 or similar. Get a decent pair of IEM headphones into the P1, just use either the left or right earphone, adjust the volume as required.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7046
    Montage Thiele Ported cab from Lean business angles back when needed. I picked one up a few weeks ago, but they don’t seem to sell them any more.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_1136.jpeg 312.7K
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2621
    tFB Trader
    3 guitars? are you all playing different things?
    Are you all playing with loads of verbs and delays?
    have you had your hearing tested?
    have you asked someone in the crowd if they can hear you?

3 guitar bands can be very tricky, Saw Wolfgang VH a few months ago with three guitarists, all three were EQ'd very differently and the chap on stage right had no bass coming through front of house, guy on stage left had loads of mids and not very compressed, WVH was much more compressed and a bit scooped out.

Get a vertical 2 x 12 with a slant on the front baffle or fit tit back legs on your cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1376
    We mostly use just backline with vocals and keys through the PA but I mic up my cab and have it running to just my own monitor so I can hear myself. If your mixer supports this I would go that way, or you can run your guitar mic straight into your monitor. 

I wear ear plugs as well but it works for me without having to point my cab away from the audience.
  • keirkeir Frets: 144
    In my band we’ve always used standback amp stands which work well and fold up and live in the back of an amp. 

Would love to try a deeflex but my amp is a 2x12 and I don’t want to buy 2!

My bandmate uses IEMs and really likes them, they are expensive if you go wireless, pretty sure his set stands him at about £1300 including acs custom moulds and a wireless unit which is part of the reason I haven’t bothered so far. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751
    2 things to take a look at:

As kier said, these are cheap and convenient - I used to use one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/standback_ampstand.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4C_tbSsggMVEMbtCh3VnQNREAQYASABEgLjiPD_BwE

If I were gigging these days I’d be tempted to try one of these as I hear they work well (bit pricier though)
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/hoovi-h1-deeflexx-sound-deflectors-572188

Red ones are better. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10775
    edited November 2023
    I have a forward-facing 1x12 behind me, miced or unmiced depending on the venue, and a daisy-chained passive wedge monitor in front of me with a matched speaker in it. It works really well. Remember to adjust the ohms. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

• Can't turn-up.

At the bigger (posher) venues, I can ask for guitars in the monitors, but obviously not at the smaller places.

Any ideas would be AMAZING!
    In the nicest way - why not? 

My favourite ever setup was a small 1x10 combo miced into the PA with almost an equal volume of that sound coming back at me via the monitors. That even worked in really small places. Even if the FOH doesn't need to bolster your amp sound there's no reason you can't throw a mic on it purely for monitoring.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IEM’s are the way forward. And they don’t have to be that pricey, an Xair desk, a half decent transmitter and some AZ earbuds work fine with the option to go custom later on. If you’re playing to a few hundred a night regularly it’s more than worth it. Other members of the band can also share the desk if they want to take the plunge also.